Mondial: New Potential Buyer? | FerrariChat

Mondial: New Potential Buyer?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Nebama, May 28, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nebama

Nebama Rookie

May 28, 2017
    I'm interested in making my first exotic/classic car purchase. I'm ideally looking for a convertible 2+2. I've always wanted a Ferrari, but I know nothing about them, except they look cool. Sorry if that's lame, I'm just a complete novice. I want a driver, not just a show car.

I understand there is more maintenance for an older car, but I'm comparing apples and oranges between looking at 2+2 convertibles including Ferraris, Maseratis, Older Austin-Healeys and Mercedes.

I've reviewed the options on Hemmings, Bring A Trailer, EBay and various dealers.

Any advice? I'm okay with the upfront price points, as long as there are no/few surprises. I just don't feel knowledgeable enough to know.

Any advice or good buys that you could point me to? Any interesting cars on the market right now that I should consider? I don't want/can't handle a project.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

2. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    You will get lots of advice and on this forum, most of it positive with regards to the Mondial.

Before you buy anything, talk to the mechanic who is going to maintain the car about the positive and negative features of that particular year/make/model, and about cost of ownership. Yes I said "year". If he is not very familiar with the car, find another mechanic who is. When you find a specific car, take it to the same mechanic and have him go through it before you pay for it. Avoid buying long distance cars for this reason.

Mondials tend to attract people who want a Ferrari, can come up with the relatively modest purchase price, but can't really stand the cost of ownership and did not know what they were getting into. The saddest cases are those who buy "fixer uppers" and then find they could have bought two good drivers for the same money by the time they are done.

There is a Mondial convertible for sale in the classifieds on this site. That's as good a place as any to start.

3. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    #3 Meister, May 29, 2017
    Last edited: May 29, 2017
    where are you located?

Mondials can have weak electronics. trouble shooting that stuff can be very frustrating. Finding one that has had some updates like fuse box is a plus. The drive trains though are pretty reliable and there is a ton of support online (here is your best bet) for support and knowledge. Maintenance is a factor, but don't let it totally scare you off. Porsche/Audi/MB/BMW/etc all need maintenance. The key is knowing the most you can about your car and being resourceful in finding parts and if you can't work on it yourself and trusted mechanic. Project cars can get expensive fast but like I just said if you are resourceful and can do more than just write checks you can get a good project and actually build some equity into it if done right.

4. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    My best advice would be that once you get the car, run it regularly. As in at least once a week. That will stave off number of problems.

Clarkson makes some good points on owning a Ferrari here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8YZzGaprtA

5. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    I am selling my Mondial t Valeo on here. It's a special car and if you would like to discuss it, feel free to pm me or give me a call, (845) 641-8041.

6. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    who maintains your car is the most important aspect of your happiness with owning it. Shop for a mechanic first. One that has experience with mondials.

7. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Agree 100% with Russ and Statler. If you tell us your city I'm sure you'll get a few suggestions for good mechanics in your area.

8. Indyjones

Indyjones Karting

Jan 28, 2009
    Pacific NW
    Which Mondial model are you interested in? The 3.2 Mondial was the final evolution of the 328 engine/drivetrain - very reliable and belt service can be done without removing the engine. It also has the more modern colourmatched front and rear bumpers compared to the older models, but retains the bigger 1980s cheese grater side intakes compared to the more slim ones on the T :) The 1988 model year also has ABS brakes. The T (1989-) brings some changes , like power steering, a few more horsepower, revised interior...a bit more money in terms of maintenance but it all depends on what you are looking to spend. You can compare the T to a 348 and the 3.2 to a 328 in terms of maintenance. But no matter which model you decide to go for, they all have their charm and unique character.

9. SaratogaCA

SaratogaCA Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2016
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Sam T.
    Also, the 3.2 has flared fenders, as compared to the T.

Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but in my eye, the flared fenders and the slanted air intake of the 3.2 look better that the flat fenders and rectangular air intake of the T. Moreover, the body color bumpers of the 3.2 and the T look better than the black bumpers of the 8 and the QV.

So ... for me, the 3.2 was the best looking. Add to that, the fact that timing belt replacement does not require engine out, and the 3.2 became the best choice.

My recommendation: do your homework, look at, and maybe even drive a few, and decide which you want.

- Sam in Saratoga

10. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    I joined Ferrarichat years ago as a Ferrari enthusiast. Learned a lot here by reading about experiences from others owning these cars. Ferrari models are all unique and have their own pros and cons.

When I started looking for a Mondial, I reached out to a few folks here as well as local owners with a few questions I had. Some were gracious enough to meet with me and give me some rides! A very helpful experience and I learned quite a bit right there. It's also been great meeting up with other owners and enthusiasts at official and not-official concorsos and "Bagels and Ferraris" get togethers. Always learning something new...

The 3.2 I own today came about through a connection I had made through Ferrarichat! The car was never officially advertised. Sometimes, you can catch a good break just like that, by being in the right place at the right time...

11. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock

Where are you located?

12. Nebama

Nebama Rookie

May 28, 2017
    Chicago area

13. Nebama

Nebama Rookie

May 28, 2017
    Great advice. Thank you.

14. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    PM me, I might have a mondial cab that would interest you. I'm only about 7 hrs away. Thanks

15. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    I purchased my 85 QV Coupe about 2.5 years ago. It was a well sorted example with 65K miles on it. Mechanically it was a 9 out of 10. Cosmetically - maybe a 6 out of 10.

I try to put about 100 miles a month on the car. As others have noted, the more you drive it, the better it runs. Also, I've found that the car really likes an occasional "Italian tune-up" drive (a hard, fast drive).

We (my adult son and I) do all our own maintenance. As for issues in the first 2.5 years, here's what we encountered:

Alternator died - we had it rebuilt at a local alternator/generator shop for $110
    AC compressor leaking - I'm going to replace it with a rebuilt, cost about $250
    Tires - The most expensive issue so far. Cost me about $500
    Leather - I reconditioned and redyed my leather with Leatherique - about $500 total.
    Power Antenna - it died. Found the exact same model at Autozone for $60
    Fuel Lines - Started weeping. Replace with new line from Autozone for about $50
    Sun Roof motor died - Replaced with Porsche 944 unit and cable from junkyard - $30
    New Steering Wheel - I just wanted a wooden wheel. Purchased a Mr. Luissi for about $400.

On the whole, the car has been very reliable with no failures - other than the alternator.

It's been 5 years since the timing belts have been replace. Now that it's summer here in TX, and car show season is mostly over, I'm about to do a major service.

Purchased the major (30K) service kit from Ricambi for $999. We will do the work ourselves.

I also purchased a new fuse panel (red bay cars) ($800) and will replace it at the same time.

It's been 2.5 years now, and about 2000 miles on the car. I have no regrets about purchasing and owning the car. It's been a fun, reliable car to own. During the spring, I take it to almost every local car show. Plus cars and coffee (about every other month). I get nothing but compliments on the car.

Finally, as others have noted, this forum is fantastic. It's been a great resource. Plus, also check out the 308/328 forum as the drive train in those cars is identical to the Mondials.

Sid

16. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    B pillars. If they aren't ripped they will. Ron here makes them but original ones are running about 1,500 a set. Get Ron's windshield toggles and get a pair of the pieces that are on the header the toggles go into.

Windshield header gaskets are hard to find. The tops drip at the corners when they wear out.

Ac fans being on high or off. It's a common fault. I wouldn't refuse a car that had this issue but look for it. We fixed ours and it went again. But heat and air work fine.

17. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    The 30k service that did valve adjustment (seeing pics of camshaft sitting on a bench is $ scary) ran 10k. It's not just annuals and majors you have to budget.

18. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    Wheels: if the car has metric do you keep or change?

19. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    In contrast to Sid's experience...I bought a driver level car that I expected to put about 10k into to bring up to snuff...new fuse box, major service, with a little room for unseen issues the ppi didn't find.. In the end there were many unseen issues. Service bill ended up being 25k, or roughly double what I paid for the car. Things can get very pricey in a hurry if you're not a DIY guy.

That said, I took an extra bad hit by choice in order to really restore the car mechanically. I think the most common advice is to budget 10k over purchase price for repairs, and for most people I think that's sufficient.

20. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    My Mondial is a pleasure to own. There is nothing about the car that I can't repair. When I first got it I replaced timing belts and pulleys,water pump and clutch. Did it all in one day with 600 dollars in parts. Two years ago installed a 3.2 engine. It is kind of like boat ownership. You work on it during the week to enjoy it on the weekend. I would love a 355 but if it broke I would not be able to afford to have it repaired.

21. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    (Prices may be higher now)
    I had a Mondial 8.
    Key points for all Ferrari and Mondials in particular:
    1) Pre purchase mechanical inspection. DO NOT BUY WITHOUT ONE. If bidding, contact the seller and ask if any bid can be contingent on PPI. If not, walk.
    You must realize that ALL Ferraris have their parts dipped in platinum. I paid for my Mondial twice. Once to buy it and that amount again in parts and service. Consider: Clutch job: $3,000. Major Tune up: $4,000 every five years. Get the picture?

2) Do homework on prices

3) Budget at least 5k for repairs and work just for a "good one"(if you don't end up needing it, fine)

4) Depending on your budget, better to get a needs nothing no stories Mondial 8 for 18,000, than a 3.2 for 30,000 that needs 20,000 worth of work.
    Better to spend money up front for a good one than to have to fix up. The first way is cheaper. Trust me on that one.

Now, quick summary of the models

1) Mondial 8 1980-82
    First run of the car. A 2 valve engine.
    Black bumpers, weakest engine..BUT...can get a nearly perfect one for 20k.
    Yes, slow from 0-60, but once moving has plenty of speed (for me). It has all the right sounds, looks (imho) and feels like what it is..a Ferrari.
    That said, I'd only get one if cheap and perfect. Just not powerful.
    Same engine as the 308

2) Mondial QV. 1983-85
    All that applies to the 8, applies here, except add 2-5 to price and more horsepower and better console layout.
    Prices about 25,000+

Same engine as the 308qv

3) Mondial 3.2 1986-1988
    In my opinion, if you can afford it, this is THE best value in Ferraris, not to mention Mondials.
    Beautiful color coded bumpers, nice 3.2 engine, non-metric tires and wheels after 86. ABS, on later models.
    Prices about 27,000+
    Same engine as the 328 (tied for best Ferrari value)

4) Mondial t 1989-92(?)
    All same applies as 3.2, but with a 3.4 engine, different engine configuration.
    Adds power steering and really nice and modern interior. Mostly cabs...coupes VERY rare. Most costly in purchase and upkeep....but soooo nice.
    Prices about 40,000+

Same engine as the 348.

22. champtc

champtc Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    at the Bonhams Greenwich auction last sunday lot #170 an 88 mondial cab sold for $22k or maybe $23 k.......only 10k miles in the last 18 years and a major belt service in 2012 .... looked pretty nice and sold for the same $ (maybe less) than an mgb- c....who would have thought a Ferrari would be cheaper than an mg? It looked pretty nice.... so maybe a time to take a serious look at these- perhaps they have finished the long depreciation curve and they are pretty easy to work on & reliable...

23. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Bonhams : 1988 Ferrari Mondial 3.2VIN. ZFFXC26A3J0076686

24. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Great price for that buyer.

However, to the OP- don't take this as a sign that you should be able to find a top quality Mondial for 25k. Auctions are weird. Some things go for way above their perceived value, some way less. That applies to all cars, art, watches, wine, etc etc. If there had been a dozen guys in the room wanting a Mondial that day...could've been a different story.

I'd stick with talking to a mechanic and getting an idea of what costs what, and make your purchase decision based on that.

For reference (and maybe others can add to this list) here are some service/repair/replacement costs for common issues on the Mondial (pre "t"...maybe ask Paul Chua for specific numbers on that car)-
    8/QV/3.2

Major service - $4800
    Clutch - $3000
    Fuse box upgrade - $1800 (for SRI box. There are cheaper options)
    New set of metric Michelin TRX tires - $2000
    or
    Switch to non metric wheels w/new tires - $2000 (cheaper tires in the future)
    Rebuild 4 Koni shocks - $1600
    Restore CA emissions system/cats (if missing and required)- $4000-$5000
    B pillars for cab - ?
    New top for cab - ?

As you can see, a $35,000 car that has had all or most of this done is likely cheaper than a $25k car that needs all this and possibly more.

25. s2mikey

s2mikey Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Upstate, New York
    Full Name:
    Mike B
    The earlier Mondials require engine-out for cam belt changes? I though any of the 308/328/Mondial series cars could have this done with the engine in? Quite the bummer if this is true. Birdmans site shows him doing the belts through the wheel well on his car.

Im confused now. ????