Mondial 3.2 running rich - is there an easy fix? | FerrariChat

Mondial 3.2 running rich - is there an easy fix?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by SaratogaCA, Jun 11, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SaratogaCA

SaratogaCA Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2016
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Sam T.
    I have approximately zero mechanical skills. But I have concluded that my 86 Mondial 3.2 Cab is running rich. There is a very strong smell of unburnt fuel, when I punch the gas pedal, the car hesitates, and the car is generally underpowered.

Spark plugs and plug cables were recently changed, so I imagine it is an issue with the mixture.

Is there an easy fix to this? Or do I have to mess with some electronic control unit?

Thanks,
    Sam in Saratoga

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Could be so many things. I'd do a good inspection to see if anything is askew or disconnected after some recent work. For example, if the intake hose (connected to the throttle body) is loose or has an air leak if can effect the fuel metering. Check all vacuum hoses as well.

3. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Running rich, the car will generally have more power, not less.

Adjustment - there is a mixture adjsutment screw in the mddle of the FD, under a tamper proof plug. You will need a 3mm allen wrench to adjust. Only be careful, too much adjustment the wrong way, and the car won't even run. Make sure to keep an accurate written record of your adjustments. Check everything else before you make any adjustments, or you are just masking the real problem.

I would start with reading the spark plugs. If they are covered with black soot, then you are too rich. Clean the plugs with a propane torch. Clean the injectors, as they can get clogged. Check your fuel accumulator, to make sure it's not leaking.

4. BOKelley

BOKelley Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 5, 2009
    Au'n Colorado
    Full Name:
    Brock
    The good news is that yes, mixture can be adjusted fairly easily but requires a special tool (basically a long hex driver) to adjust the fuel injection. My advice, at minimum, would be to take it to someone familiar with Bosch CIS injection systems and better, a Ferrari mechanic familiar with the CIS. Either one should have an exhaust gas analyzer to set mixture precisely...

5. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    #5 jgoodman, Jun 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
    Not a fuel problem, but an electrical problem. Check all the spark plug extenders for arcing. It's common problem that can lead to non combustion in one of the chambers. Looks like a tiny pencil mark on the extender. Easy to overlook but easy to repair/replace. I wrapped black electrical tape around my bad extender and it fixed it until I was able to replace all of my extenders. Also, check the coil module on top of the coil. Put some contact degreaser on the plug into the coil module and wiggle a little. Or just replace both ignition modules. They are inexpensive as well. You do not need to replace the entire coil most likely as the car would have almost no power if it was running on one bank only. One of these two will fix your problem I bet.

6. Cadillacbart

Cadillacbart Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Based on you stating underpowered I would worry that you are only running on one bank. This could be fairly dangerous if unburnt fuel builds in in your cat and ignites.

This string may give you some things to check that are fairly easy for anyone to check:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/364375-rough-idle-loss-power-backfire-6.html

7. fdekeu

fdekeu Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2008
    Belzium
    Full Name:
    Frank
    My friends 328 was running rich as well
    Turned out to be the cold air injector leaking
    Replacement solved the problem

If you really loose a lot of power and the engine is running rough there is probably one bank missing as suggested earlier

8. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Start the engine up from cold, let it tick over and feel the exhaust pipe at the head. As soon as it starts to warm switch engine off. Then check temp of all exhausts at the heads, you will then know how many units you have firing

9. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    If you have zero mechanical skills then I'd strongly recommend you leave it alone and get a garage to look at it.
    Fixing a problem is more about 'Correct' diagnosis than anything else. Mechanical knowledge is essential to do this. If you have a go yourself you may well lean out the engine and burn out a piston.....not worth the risk.
    Go to a garage and let them sort it for you.
    All the best Bell

10. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    Check all vacuum hoses.

11. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Good advice.

And *don't* go trying to adjust the mixture!!! The problem is almost certainly with the ignition.

12. SaratogaCA

SaratogaCA Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2016
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Sam T.
    Thanks for the feedback folks. As I read the comments, I am convinced this is not a job for me. I will have someone with better skills look at it.