Recommended Stock up parts? | FerrariChat

Recommended Stock up parts?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Clnilsen, Jun 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Clnilsen

Clnilsen Karting

Jan 14, 2012
    Celebration, FL
    Full Name:
    Chuck Nilsen
    So, rather odd question here. Due to Work travel and needing to clear some space from other projects, I am probably a year out at least from being able to pull the trigger on a purchase, but I am closely tracking the 3.2 market and am pretty set on what I am looking for.

That said, one thing I'd like to take advantage of in the inter-meaning time is considering what parts I should "stock up" on as available so I don't need to waste time later on looking for them.

So, for example one of my other hobbies is Pinball machine restoration. It's not unusual to spend years finding a machine, and pretty normal to stock up on parts/modifications for machines you anticipate buying in the future as they are remade (which tend to be very limited run stuff), or NOS parts as they pop up so you have it when you finally shake something loose from another collector.

As another example, I've noted the issue with the fuse boxes, and contemplated trying to seek one to get properly remade in case the company that is doing is ceases business (though I'm not sure this specific example works).

Anything I should keep an eye out for - particularly for 3.2's 85-87?

Thanks!

2. Indyjones

Indyjones Karting

Jan 28, 2009
    Pacific NW
    You don't know what has been done the your "future" Mondial. If you buy a new Fusebox now and the one you buy already has been refitted with a new one...but if you want to spend money blind on "potential" replacement parts, it's your money ;) BTW, the 3.2 is produced till 1988...last year received ABS.

3. Clnilsen

Clnilsen Karting

Jan 14, 2012
    Celebration, FL
    Full Name:
    Chuck Nilsen
    Indyjones Thanks! Definitely good thoughts.

(and I was explicitly staying away from 88... want to avoid dealing with ABS ;-) )

4. Cadillacbart

Cadillacbart Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John
    The abs system in this car is really simple and parts are widely available. Teves system used in tons of cars of the era. I wouldn't let that shy you away from an '88 (which happens to be the best year:))

5. Indyjones

Indyjones Karting

Jan 28, 2009
    Pacific NW
    Many will tell you '88 is the best year of all Mondials... I'm not biased in the least ;)

6. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    For starters, buy an Owner's Manual. That way you can read up on and become familiar with the car before even looking at one. In other words, after finding a car, you can test the lights (including warning lights before and after startup), power windows, gages (and know which one is which) and etc.

BTW, and since you didn't mention it, I assume that you're looking for a Cab?

7. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Every Mondial would benefit at some point from replacement of the two ignition coils, the crank sensors, new distributor caps, rotors, wires/extenders. All important rubber coolant and fuel hoses should be renewed. The clutch line is a good item to renew as well as the slave cylinder. Water pump, cam belts and bearings and various belts will be routine items. Change the transmission fluid with about four quarts of Redline MTL. Fuse box upgrades are pretty common, but some boards like mine are fine (and I did "stock'" a new OEM fusebox like you are thinking 12 years ago, but still no need for it).

None of these parts are unavailable, but they can be expensive for what they are so buying typical spares where there is a good price makes sense.

Otherwise, it is body parts and trim, interior pieces and such that are becoming unobtainable, but you won't know til you find your Mondial if it needs these types of things.

The 1988 Mondial ABS which mine has works well, but the parts are really expensive and despite crossing to other cars seem to be difficult to find. I have thought of inventorying some ABS related spares, but no luck finding any items that I am certain would be a fit. Probably would end up rebuilding items rather that replacing when age finally gets the better of these systems. That said, failure of the main ABS system seems very rare, not sure any instance on Fchat has ever been documented.

8. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    fuse's, relays, pump and alternator belt. I carry these and even a spare tightener pulley for the pump belt

9. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Good call. 86 is the best year.

10. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    Parts are expensive. Life changes (you may not even end up buying a Mondial). You will probably not use most of what you buy even if you do end up buying one. Wait until you actually buy one, you can get the parts quickly if you need any at the time you may actually need them.

11. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2004
    Stock up on cash ... you will need it.

12. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Regardless of year or model. This is sound advice!!

13. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    especially if one purchases a Mondial 8 with the following characteristics:

1) sight unseen
    2) from a govt auction
    3) with no PPI
    4) with no records
    5) that has been sitting for years undriven

yup - definitely expect to spend a lot of money in the scenario above.

Unlike others here, I hope you would fault yourself instead of the car in the situation described.

;)

14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    From a 't' owner, I agree that the 3.2 variant is the 'best' Mondial vintages all things considered.

If I had the cash and space, I would be hoarding them.

15. Clnilsen

Clnilsen Karting

Jan 14, 2012
    Celebration, FL
    Full Name:
    Chuck Nilsen
    I've done the sight unseen / no ppi thing before. I have *definitely* learned my lesson there.

Thanks for all the advice! I've been lurking for a long time here, and appreciate all the insight.

16. Cadillacbart

Cadillacbart Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John
  17. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Give a good coach builder a few photos and 'Presto' only a good Concorse Judge would know they weren't OEM.

Where to find a good coach builder?

Any marina knows who.

18. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Buy your Mondial from an F'Chatter!
    Plan" B"? Attend the Mondialpalooza which is in the nascent stages of being planned for next (2018) July ... ish. Current possible sites are Great Smoky Mountains NP area or the coast of South Carolina. This would be a superb opportunity to look at 4 -12 Mondials (and probably drive one or more of them) and pick everyone's brain (or my half brain) about ownership.
    BTW: I am making an assumption that you could attend even w/o being an owner, but I'm not in charge or anything ... hell, I didn't even stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night!

19. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Sent out to be cleaned. Sale includes seatbacks.

20. blownfuse

blownfuse Karting

Jul 16, 2012
    Campbell, California
    This. I've spent a couple years going through my car and fixing most of what needs fixing and still have parts left over. They were just a waste of $$$.

As for "what needs fixing", count on the fuel lines, but the rest can just be serviced as needed: the car won't blow up if you lose a crank sensor. No need to fix what ain't broken, there.

Ah, glad to hear I'm not the only one as starry-eyed, to do such a foolish thing. Would love to hear your story one day... we should go for a drive once I get my mondi off the jack stands.

21. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    :) It's actually from our resident curmudgeon Russ. He does not spare any opportunity to bash the car. Those 5 things were part of his purchase.

What made the situation sting even more - was when he finally sold it a few years ago - the buyer flipped it for almost double what he paid shortly afterward - further enraging an already bitter experience.

My car has been a dream - yes maintenance is still expensive, but nothing like the articles out on the interwebs would have most believe.

...and that's a good thing..how else would I have been able to acquire it for such a reasonable price?!!!

It always cracks me up how many articles laud how the 308/328 are the most 'reliable' Ferrari...and the Mondial 8,qv,3.2 are the most 'unreliable'. The Mondial must cast special spells on the powertrains once they are installed in the chassis.

;)

22. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Sounds like someone is on their original crank position sensor...tick tick tick boom! Actually the car won't blow up from a crank sensor, but it will confound you with barely being able to start and run, and you will go on the wild goose chase of thinking its related to many other typical spark and fuel related things before concluding the sensors are best viewed as wear/tune up items. But its true there is nothing unique to Ferrari with this, and in this instance the parts cost the same as for any car with such sensors. But more a reminder that with age some things do require attention on classic cars more than 20 years old that you may not typically have to concern oneself with in maintaining a car of more recent vintage.

23. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Sort of stocking up...

I bought a pair of used, low-mileage Mondial/F-40 axel shafts. My plan was to casually regrease the joints and replace the boots. That way I had a pair ready to go in the event of a boot blowout (not uncommon). But I never had the time to do this, and since sold the car.

So the axel shafts are still in their box, in the closet, in the garage.

24. petrolheadjeff

petrolheadjeff Karting

Apr 16, 2015
    London/Kent
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    fuse board, hill engineering cam belt tensioners, switches for windows, wheels and tyres (check offset) finally patience of a saint (dunno if you can buy that)