Passenger rear brake won't bleed QV Coupe | FerrariChat

Passenger rear brake won't bleed QV Coupe

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by mondialo, Jun 24, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mondialo

mondialo Rookie

Sep 23, 2004
    Carolina
    First great off great Mondial resource and page. I have been using this site it's a great. Taking the car out of storage ( QV coupe )so far has been more work than usual. Car started right up but wouldn't go into gear. Replaced the slave cylinder now shifts and runs no issue but I noticed my passenger front brake was dragging so I decided to bleed all four wheels. I have a motive and a mityvac. Passenger rear wouldn't bleed so for yucks I bled the other three working my way back to the master with no issue. Then I went back to passenger rear. I have fine pedal pressure btw. Still no joy. Took the bleed nipple all the way out, junk in the nipple hole, cleaned it, i was thrilled to find what I thought was the issue, put it back in, still no juice. I loosened the flex hose at the brake put the motive at about 7 pounds pressure and it wept at the hose thread so I think the lines are good. Any thoughts on what to try next ???

2. MaseratiMike

MaseratiMike Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Maybe your caliper is partly siezed up. Have you taken the caliper off, checked the pistons move freely and there is no crud jaming it up? Could need stripping and cleaning up....

3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If there is crap in the bleed nipple, there may be more in the flexy and the fixed pipes. Take the flexy off and pump a good load through before you go any further. Then do the same on the other pipes/ flexys.

4. mondialo

mondialo Rookie

Sep 23, 2004
    Carolina
    There was junk in the bleed nipple but I cleaned it out so could be some upstream? I even took a piece of piano wire into both the nipple and the hole it goes in used a mallet to tap the rear of the brake housing. But I agree the caliper may be it. That was my next target I was just hoping I might have overlooked a bit. I'll start taking it apart. I have never done that before any advise is appreciated. I have the shop manual but pics are always good as well. Thanks!!!!

5. MaseratiMike

MaseratiMike Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I would personally unbolt the caliper taking off the brake pads and pins as needed, leave the hose connected. Get a toothbrush, then a bowl with some degrease agent and clean it up. Then with a small piece of wood, place in between the pistons, then start pumping the brake pedal to see if it workstill (just don't pop the pistons out hence the wood to restrict how much travel). Check the seals for damage it. If limited movement, you could try disconnecting the hose and bleed nipple, then try to flush out the caliper chamber to see if any crud comes out.

If still no joy or much better, may need a full strip down and seals.

6. mondialo

mondialo Rookie

Sep 23, 2004
    Carolina
    Ok thanks!!!!