Tool bag pictures please | FerrariChat

Tool bag pictures please

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by syata, Jul 23, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    I just got a 1988 Mondial CAB and want to complete the tool bag.

I received one tool bag with a few tools and a jack.

Can someone post pictures of what the tool bag and the items/tools that came with the car please.

Was there an emergency window handle and what did it look like? Was this part of the tool kit?

Thank you.

Stephen

2. VetroresinaNL

VetroresinaNL Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 25, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Vetroresina
    #2 VetroresinaNL, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    #3 Alden, Jul 24, 2017
  4. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Euro cars had an emergency triangle made by "Costaplastic" in the jack bag also; US cars did not.

Rgds

5. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    Thank you for your support.

Looks like I am missing the entire tool bag with the screw drivers. I suppose Ebay would be the place to try and source the items.

Thank you again.

6. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    #6 nerofer, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    Not sure I understand exactly, but, to sum it up:

A complete, period correct, tool roll is not rare, only expensive.

The screwdrivers alone are very, very difficult to find (say you already have the tool roll,with the pliers, wrenches, etc...but are missing the screwdrivers). These are probably one of the most sought after item for the 1980's tool rolls, especially the flat blade ones, which really are a PITA to find, these are worth their weight in gold.
    Be VERY careful not to buy screwdrivers with the "solid black" color handle: these belong to the nineties, they are not period correct for 1980's tool rolls; those you are looking for are the red-brown translucent handle type. Your car being a 1988, you'd be looking for those with the white "Ferrari" inscription on the handle. The 1985s and some 1986s may have had handles without the white "Ferrari" script; later cars also from time to time, but those marked "Ferrari" in white are more typical for a 1988.

Wrenches are not very difficult to find independently, but should you buy these one by one (and even for a complete serie) you must pay great attention to their finish (broadly speaking, you have two different types: shiny chrom or dull chrom) so as to have a perfectly matched serie, and to the markings: the most common are marked "Ferrari" on one side of the handle, "Chrom Vanadium Kravm" on the reverse...BUT there are also wrenches marked "Ferrari" on both side of the handle, and wrenches marked "Chrom Vanadium Kravm" on both side of the handle. Obviously you would be looking for a serie perfectly matched in finish, and in inscriptions, and not a hotch-potch. The "recess" where the brand is printed is even different between some wrenches: just in front of the size number, the ledge is curved on some series, straight on some others....

Take GREAT care with tool rolls, because you would be forking some money, so you would want to be sure of what you are buying. Those for the 1985 - 1989 cars are probably the easiest to understand, but nevertheless pay good money only when sure.
    We wrote a thread about these with "Piezo" in the 308-328 section, "unofficial tool roll specification", that could be read with benefit I guess...Just do your home work, and be sure of what you are buying. I'm not claiming to be an expert, but I see many sellers saying wrong things about what they are advertising, claiming that some Tools are "period correct" whereas they are not, so "buyer beware".
    Alden's tool roll above would be entirely typical for a 1988, period correct.

Rgds

7. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Mine has a test light. I'm guessing it was added and not part of the factory offering. The only part that doesn't say Ferrari on it.

8. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    You need our help to find a picture of a congressional member?

9. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    #9 Alden, Jul 24, 2017
    That reminded me, I also have the correct "BMW" style plug (as opposed to the cigarette lighter plug type) emergency light with original tie and bag for my '88 kit too.

Example pic below.

(I have several of both style plugs in stock if anyone needs one, no time to list stuff for sale lately!)
    Alden
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Yea Baby! That is what I was hoping to see! Thanks, Ner!
    Alden

11. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I couldn't say for sure for the "Mondial", as I am not familiar enough with the type, but the two seaters (308GTB/GTS & 328GTB/GTS) had the portable light, just like the one "Alden" posted.
    As he said, there has been variation in the plugs; some get into the socket that's under the dashboard, others into the cigarette lighter, depending on the years. His is of the latest version, correct for 88 & 89.
    Trouble when trying to find one today are: identifying the correct type you need as for the plug, depending on your car's year of production; finding one with a plastic bag that has not yet dryed and split open at the seams.

Rgds

12. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    +1
    90% of the bags that I see are split at one or both seams at the top, splits are usually about 1" long.

Sometimes the original "zip tie" straps are missing too.
    Alden