Mondial engine trouble mechanical squeel | FerrariChat

Mondial engine trouble mechanical squeel

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by vespathor, Aug 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vespathor

vespathor Rookie

Mar 6, 2014
    Bergen - Norway
    Full Name:
    Thor
    #1 vespathor, Aug 5, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    Had my mondial for years. Runs great.

But now when I start it, the engine makes a screeching, squeeling sound. It is very worrying and I dare not use it. It is not a squeeling belt. Noise starts 5-10sec after start. Changes with revs and fades a bit when reving

Here is a video of it:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xxn5uDizHmw

Anyone had this?? I need help

Mondial Qv 3.0 1984. Belts done 3 y ago. Norway

2. vespathor

vespathor Rookie

Mar 6, 2014
    Bergen - Norway
    Full Name:
    Thor
    Oh and pressing the clutch doesn't make a difference

3. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    sounds a bit like a whining belt, does it disappear after a minute or so?

4. vespathor

vespathor Rookie

Mar 6, 2014
    Bergen - Norway
    Full Name:
    Thor
    I have not dared to let it run more. But seems to get worse

Definetly not belt-whine. Sounds mechanical. Belt plulkeys perhaps, or cam?
    Very difficult to identify

5. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    That doesn't sound like a belt-that's a screech. Water pump bearings?

6. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    Something that is turning outside the motor is rubbing on something metallic .. that would be water pump pulley, smog pump, belt tensioners, a/c ... did you drop a socket into the innards of your engine?

7. deeprivergarage

deeprivergarage Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 3, 2009
    S of Fort Worth
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I have sprayed some aerosol belt dressing (WD-40 even) on the v-belts while the motor is running just to make sure. I have heard screeching, growling, and clicking sounds from the QV v-belts that sounded a like a metal noise. You can do that from the top of the motor or from under the car. You may need a flashlight to get a good view of the v-belts.

If you block up the rear of the car and remove the rear wheels and the fender access panels (just a few phillips screws) then start the motor, you may be able to locate the source of the noise.

I have also used a piece of heater hose as a type of stethoscope to locate motor noises. This could at least tell you which end of the motor the noise is coming from.

If you take the fender access panels off, you could remove the alternator, water pump, and A/C belt/belts, start the motor and listen for the location of the noise.

That would confirm if it was actually an alternator or water pump bearing, too.

Also, pull your motor oil dipstick and see if you see any minute (really small) metal filings in the oil. This might indicate a failed bearing somewhere in the motor.

Good luck,

Jerry

Good luck,

Jerry

8. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Failed cam belt drive pulley bearing?

9. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    one of your accessory belts is slipping. Or your water pump bearing is sluggish and cant freely spin equal to rapidly increased engine rpm causing that belt to drag over it. First thing I would check

10. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    I had an intermittent squeal from my Alternator Belt.
    A year ago during motor break in. Gave me a heart attack.

Hope you find your squeak.

11. vespathor

vespathor Rookie

Mar 6, 2014
    Bergen - Norway
    Full Name:
    Thor
    Thanks for your evaluation and suggestions.

Its very clear that the sound us not belt-squeel when one heard it in person ( video-sound may not reproduce it well enough) Its distinctly mechanical and sings in the block.

Water pump or pulley bearing seems likely. Are the ac, anternator and waterpump driven by cam belt, or the other belt ? (Aux belt)

12. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Let the aux belt tensions off and hand turn the various pulleys, anything a bit tight ?

13. vespathor

vespathor Rookie

Mar 6, 2014
    Bergen - Norway
    Full Name:
    Thor
    I will try to take aux belt of. I already tried to spray wd-40 on belts and pulleys i could reach from above.

14. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Not driven by the cam belt. Each item may have it's own aux belt. Remove them one at a time, and run for a few seconds to isolate the noise. Cam belt idler bearings do go bad as well. When is the last time they were changed ? That is something that I would worry about.

15. vespathor

vespathor Rookie

Mar 6, 2014
    Bergen - Norway
    Full Name:
    Thor
    I guess the cam belt bearings where changed at the last cam belt service in 2013

16. deeprivergarage

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 3, 2009
    S of Fort Worth
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #16 deeprivergarage, Aug 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thor,

The QV's had two variations of auxiliary belts.

Some used one belt and some used two, plus the A/C compressor belt.

The Ricambi America online catalog has a good diagram of the two variations.

All the aux. belts are driven by the crankshaft hub pulley. They are not connected to the cam belts or cam belt pulleys.

You can run the motor with the aux belts off for a couple minutes. The water pump will not be turning, so do not run it for long or the motor will over heat.

The cam belts or cam belt timing will not be affected by removing the aux belts and running the motor.

I have attached a couple pictures. On this 85QV, there is a belt (the belt running vertical with the idler/adjustment pulley) for the water pump. A different belt (the belt running horizontally) for the alternator. And, a separate belt (the belt running diagonally behind the alt and water pump belt) for the A/C.

You can remove the alternator belt by loosening the alternator adjustment and retaining bolt/nut. This belt is easiest to remove because it is the outside belt of the three.

You can remove the water pump belt by loosening the adjustment pulley retainer bolt. The alternator belt must be removed first.

It is unlikely that the clutch drive bearing on the A/C is bad, but if the sound is coming from that area when you run the motor you can loosen the compressor adjustment(not real easy) and release the belt to check the bearing while the motor is running. The clutch bearing turns even if the A/C is turned off. I have literally cut the A/C belt off when I had an A/C issue, because I didn't want to take the time and effort to remove the alt and water pump belt just to remove the A/C belt. I did have to take them off to replace the A/C belt, later.

If the noise is related to the cam or cam belts, or the cam belt drive pulley or a cam belt adjuster bearing you will be able to hear it more accurately with the other belts off and you can get closer to the noise with the fender access panels off.

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v6-v8/mondial-group/mondial-qv/timing-system-controls.html

Good luck.

Jerry
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. vespathor

vespathor Rookie

Mar 6, 2014
    Bergen - Norway
    Full Name:
    Thor
    Deeprivergarage Thanks for great info and pictures. The AC had been removed prior to my buying the car. I will remove the belts lik you say to see if waterpump or alt is the reason.

18. deeprivergarage

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 3, 2009
    S of Fort Worth
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    You are headed in the right direction. It is fun to learn more about your car and gives you more confidence in driving it.

Check out this link.

Replacing Ferrari 308 Mondial timing belts

There are others on FC that are good, too.

Jerry

19. vespathor

vespathor Rookie

Mar 6, 2014
    Bergen - Norway
    Full Name:
    Thor
    Thanks everybody. Fchat is an fantastic resource. And many times before I have read threads here adressing issues my car had. It is a great help. An full of knowledgable people

20. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Mmm sounds a bit like a cam belt drive bearing, I heard it on my 308 about 20 years ago, it's a bit of a sod to do.
    However it might be a water pump or something easy.
    As the guys said, remove all belts, buy a stethoscope and have a listen to where it's coming from.
    Oh also check out 'the helidoctor ' channel on YouTube, he does belts and bearings and all kinds of things on Mondials.......he's me. :)

21. vespathor

vespathor Rookie

Mar 6, 2014
    Bergen - Norway
    Full Name:
    Thor
    Wow you are Helidoctor ! I have already watched the video on youtube on cam belts.

Think i will try doing belts myself. With aid from your video and Birdman tutorial

22. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Ha ha yes he's me, as you can see I'd been busy in the early days of ownership. But, once the car is sorted it should run very reliably. We use ours all of the time and drive it fairly hard. It's a great car and I've had a few.....
    Good luck and keep us posted.
    Regards Bell 'thehelidoctor' ;-)

23. vespathor

vespathor Rookie

Mar 6, 2014
    Bergen - Norway
    Full Name:
    Thor
    Furter hints and suggestions on whst the dound could be, is still appreciated

I will make a better video tomorrow

24. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    where are you at? Did you remove accessory belts one at a time to rule them in or out as the cause?

25. vespathor

vespathor Rookie

Mar 6, 2014
    Bergen - Norway
    Full Name:
    Thor
    I will remove the waterpump tomorrow to rule it out. I have got the seperate belt for waterpump.