Fuse board help | FerrariChat

Fuse board help

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Freerange72, Aug 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Freerange72

Freerange72 Karting

May 22, 2017
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    Donnie
    #1 Freerange72, Aug 6, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    FChatters, enthusiast and Italian wiring experts....

Need help with fuse panel wiring.

Background:

1983 (June) Mondial QV

Original fuse panel had some scorched areas, bullet fuses were loose (metal fused to melted plastic) and after removal lots of delamination. I knew that I would be replacing the fuse board sometime within the first 12 months of ownership , but one nighttime drive, where I hit a bump that caused all of the lights to go out (due to loose fuse) I was determined to get this replaced.

After research on FChat, I quickly decided that the RedBay.com version was for me. no issues with reinstallation, but during reattachment of the wiring looms I noticed that my wires are a little different from references found within the message board.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/mondial/471120-fuse-relay-panel.html

note: Guido and Stefan and I have been working for about a month to figure out my wiring, but at the moment we are stumped. At one point we were questioning if I had a QV panel (I do), so I am reaching out to the group for (hopefully) so direction.

Sooooo,

Here are some photos (mirrored from left to right) mine being the right.

My issues are with my Pink/Black wires (labeled SN in Ferrari wiring diagrams)on loom "U" or what I have labeled LC and the light blue and white striped (labeled AB in Ferrari wiring diagrams). I know that the Pink/Black wire is for my fog lights and to relay, and on the chance left connected outside of the box. After start up, my dash light for fog lights is illuminated, but switch of course is not turned on. Switch also doesn't turn on fog lights.

Rest to follow. Its late...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    What version Mondial QV? US, Euro, something else?

3. Freerange72

Freerange72 Karting

May 22, 2017
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    Donnie
    Steve, It is US version. ZFFMD14A0D0047065.

thanks,

Donnie

4. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
  5. Freerange72

Freerange72 Karting

May 22, 2017
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    Donnie
    Steve, thanks for the link and taking the time to upload. I was hoping that it would be different from the hardcopy that I have, but it is the same. I had worked out that the pink wire with black stripe (SN) is for the fog lights in figure 5. My paired wire would go into position 8 in the "U" loom, which I believe heads to the switch (relay). But in the current configuration, I have no place to put with new board Currently just hanging outside of the box... along with two of the light blue (AB) wires. I now also have a fuse blowing everytime I reconnect battery (number 3).

6. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Not following you here -- your photos show pairs of SN wires mounted in the "LC" and "LR" connectors, but you say " I have no place to put with new board Currently just hanging outside of the box" -- can you clarify?

Also, do the wire colors/locations in all the white harness connectors match, or not match, what is shown in the '83 US wiring diagram?

7. Freerange72

Freerange72 Karting

May 22, 2017
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    Donnie
    #7 Freerange72, Aug 8, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Steve, photos of my wire looms are on the right. Guido's are on the left. His are mirrored (flipped) to mine . So in my original loom, The SN is mounted in the position 9 (top) on the U (LC).

So my references for wire placement after installation were from Guido's Photos and this diagram from "Afterburner" I believe.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Freerange72

Freerange72 Karting

May 22, 2017
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    Donnie
    My original wiring pretty much mirrors what is in the 83 Ferrari wiring diagram.

9. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Just a short question: have you verified all the ground connections? Especially the ones next to the pop-up lights? Please detach them, clean the connection points to the chassis and reattach. I had a lot of issues with headlights too and this was caused by these 2 grounds.

10. Freerange72

Freerange72 Karting

May 22, 2017
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    Donnie
    Stefan, headlights are working. Turn on fine, pop up and down on command. The parking lights also work fine. The fog lights do not work in current configuration. If you go to my pdf of the wiring looms. My original wiring is on the right side. In the LC (U) loom, the two pink/black wires (SN in the Ferrari Wiring diagrams) are for the fog lights to the relay. The two pink/black wires in (V) or LR in my photo are from switch to fog lights and on to (U).

11. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Are you saying that in the .pdf attached to post #1 - Guido's photos are on the left and your photos are on the right?

And the photo in post #7 is (maybe) from Afterburner?

Do you know what year/version MondialQV Guido and Afterburner have? I don't know if you can just shift the wires around on a US version based on color and have it work on a euro version fuse-relay panel -- is that what you are trying to do?

12. Freerange72

Freerange72 Karting

May 22, 2017
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    Donnie
    My intention was to not alter anything. I naturally assumed that the boards were universal. But I am starting to think that there are too many differences. I do not know the year of the other QV's owned by Guido and Urs.

13. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Donnie, fog lights in the rear of front of the car ?
    My car is euro 1982. Until now I never seen a different diagram from incoming wires at the fusebox. There is always a first time...

Guido

14. Freerange72

Freerange72 Karting

May 22, 2017
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    Donnie
    Front of car.

15. blownfuse

blownfuse Karting

Jul 16, 2012
    Campbell, California
    I'm having a similar issue with my 3.2... got the board from GT Car Parts, did a straight-across swap with the OEM board, and now my dash lights up even when the key's removed from the ignition. I suspect the wire colors change from year to year, if not more often... just another problem on top of the differences in relay board routing.