Go Back   FerrariChat.com > The Ferrari Lifestyle > Motorcycles & Boats

Share/Bookmark LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2012, 11:56 AM
F1 World Champ
Consultant

Full Name: Art
A lot of talk about comfort, not much about whether they work or not. One important factor, the helmet has to be very, very snug. If not, they can come off, and then they aren't worth a dam.

Art
Old 04-27-2012, 01:17 PM
F1 World Champ
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Franklin E. Parker
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000YELLOW360 View Post
A lot of talk about comfort, not much about whether they work or not. One important factor, the helmet has to be very, very snug. If not, they can come off, and then they aren't worth a dam.

Art
Very true. Always dress for the crash!
Old 04-27-2012, 01:57 PM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Alex
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorduck View Post
I got all kinds of brands in my garage, Arai, AGV, Bell, Ikon, etc. I think Arai is the best, but Ikon's are pretty good and cost less. I also have some brand (I forget) where my helmet is like a fighter jet helmet with an internal shade, way cool.
That may be the Scorpion EXO1000. It has an internal sun visor.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:35 PM
F1 World Champ
Consultant

Full Name: Art
Everybody here is talking about features on the helmet. Remember this: you are buying one for the protection, not the style, looks, or features. I think that the Japanese helmets, and the Bell and Simpson are clearly the best, and while others may or may not be good, a known protector is better than taking a chance.

I've used several Arais over the years (I think 5 at last count), some of which got very banged up, not just scraped up, and I know they work. It's too big a risk to trying something untested.

Art
Old 04-27-2012, 06:53 PM
Karting
Non Subscribed

Full Name: A.J.
I use an HJC CL-16. The exact one I have (Hellion) is on closeout from most websites for under $100, it's $78 on one of the websites I've purchased gear from before. It's loud as all get out (I wear earplugs no matter how short the ride) and provides a lot of air flow up under the chin bar. Most of the reviews state that the air vents provide little throughput and I can confirm that as it makes seemingly no difference if the vents are open or closed, but the amount of air coming up from under the chin bar makes up for it. I rode last summer during that incredible heat wave and didn't die and I've ridden at a little under 40 degrees Fahrenheit (before I used a balaclava) and had a frozen face but feeling returned shortly after warming up. It's the only full face helmet I've ever known so your mileage may vary. And on a side note the GoPro curved 3m adhesive mount lines up perfectly to the curve of the helmet just behind the top air vent.

While it's only DOT approved I've ordered a Gmax GM68 that should be here next week (going on a long bike trip this summer and I want more airflow). It's one of the cheapest and best reviewed helmets for air flow that I've seen. I've also read two crash reviews that were positive so I feel like it's a pretty good deal for $100.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:55 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Mr. Raptorduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightGuy View Post
ROOF Boxer.

Also the Nexx carbon was high on the list but I found none to examine with my paws.
Mail order too risky.
Quote:
That may be the Scorpion EXO1000. It has an internal sun visor.

It is an Nexx X30.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:42 AM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Mr. Raptorduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorduck View Post
It is an Nexx X30.
Here is the helmet. It is very cool. This video demonstrates both the internal sunshade and the fighter jet helmet like features of it.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:37 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Full Name: NORTY
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerfe View Post
I too like Suomy. Doesn't Schumy wear a Suomy?
He doesn't wear one when he's racing. There are 2 helmet manufacturers that pass the F1 spec. Those manufacturers are ARAI and SCHUBERTH. Take this for what you want, it's your call....

Oh yeah, here's the difference between a moto helmet and car helmet:

A moto helmet has to survive 1 single impact. (BTW, the spec is 11mph.) That's the speed a head hits the pavement from the height of a person astride a moto.

A car helmet must survive numerous impacts. Think "pachinKo" ball....