Go Back   FerrariChat.com > The Ferrari Lifestyle > Motorcycles & Boats

Share/Bookmark LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2013, 10:46 AM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Rich
Some very interesting suggestions and selections out there, but I'm really looking for a GS550 now. Doesn't necessarily need to run (especially for what I'm hoping to spend) but I want it to have all the bits and pieces so I've got a good place to start from. There are a few "local" to me on Craigslist but my work schedule just went nuts and we're expecting our first child in a month's time so I'm not sure how I'm going to find a way to pick one up for quite a while now.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 02-28-2013, 04:58 PM
Karting
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Sean Kelly
I used to ride a 1985? GS550ES, with the half-fairing and rectangular headlight. Neat little bike. I also spent some time riding an '80 GS750. I was much more impressed with its engine, but the bike was quite heavy.

Have you seen the more modern GS500 twin? I've always thought that was a neat bike.

Another one to consider is the 77-81 Honda CB400T. It's a relatively modern design with classic UJM geometry. I like the twins because they tend to be narrower and lighter.

Let us know where you end up!
Old 03-01-2013, 12:16 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfourseven View Post
I used to ride a 1985? GS550ES, with the half-fairing and rectangular headlight. Neat little bike. I also spent some time riding an '80 GS750. I was much more impressed with its engine, but the bike was quite heavy.

Have you seen the more modern GS500 twin? I've always thought that was a neat bike.

Another one to consider is the 77-81 Honda CB400T. It's a relatively modern design with classic UJM geometry. I like the twins because they tend to be narrower and lighter.

Let us know where you end up!
I have looked at it and while its neat, I'm really looking for something with the old school tube frame. Looked at a KZ650 last night, trying to see a CB750 (heavy though) this weekend and might try to look into a CB650 sometime soon too. Sadly, I've not been able to find a good GS550 near me. That's still really what I'd like to find.

I've thought about looking for a smaller displacement bike but the fact that many of them are only 20-30hp scares me away from them. I know its going to be slower than my Buell, but I don't want something that can be out dragged by a moped!
Old 03-03-2013, 10:38 PM
Karting
Silver Subscribed

I still have a '73 CB350 twin. While they're certainly not fast bikes, they have enough power to go about 90mph. I think they're rated about 35 hp from the factory.

I definitely recommend that you consider the smaller bikes of the era. None of the seventies machines will feel particularly quick. In my opinion, lighter is better.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 03-04-2013, 02:44 AM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: AG
Bring a Trailer has a motorcycle section that you should look at. Some very cool motorcycles listed.

There are some you can call projects and there are many that are ride-ready.

Motorcycles
Old 03-04-2013, 07:25 AM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Well, I pulled the trigger this weekend on a 1980 Honda CB650. While its not the make and model I was looking for, its the same basic setup and seems to be a solid bike that is in need of some TLC. I'll post pictures eventually, but for the time being I have a lot of other projects to get done around the house before the end of the month. I'll probably start a build thread here to document what's going on and to get some pointers.

Thanks all!
Old 03-04-2013, 01:49 PM
Karting
Silver Subscribed

Congratulations!

Be sure to post pictures of your progress.