Trying To buy a boat | FerrariChat

Trying To buy a boat

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by Gh21631, Jul 20, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I am rather spontaneous and decided I need a boat and discovered the Key West line which seems to be a decent boat/value. for those of you who know boats ans this mnfr. in particular i would appreciate your feedback. I have several boats in sights. I would appreciate feedback as I would like to make a decision by Monday. I know most put in more time researching but life is too short to over analyze. most of the time it will be used in the bay but we will also run out in the Atlantic when tHe weather is nice and buzz around, fish and tube. Mostly family and friend stuff, no 20-30mile offshore trips. Also, let me add this would be my first boat so I need something I can handle. I have spent a lot of time on the water just not in my own boat.

2007 225 DC - I like this boat but seems over priced at $28k with no trailer. It is in decent shape but needs a new stereo and a full detail. My feeling based on my limited research is that this is a $25k boat max with a trailer. It has a few options but nothing crazy and a 250 yam.

2013 FS203-I like this boat but think it will be a little too rough for the wife and 2 kids in the chop + we sometimes have friends with us and would like a little room for everyone. This will probably be 30% of the time. This boat is $34k out the door with trailer, bottom paint, stereo, and GPS. Not bad but would be better at $30k.

2013 211 cc - leaning towards this one, it seems to check all the boxes but is geared more towards fishing vs family stuff which is fine. 3 concerns: 1) price, now I am roughly $12k higher than my original budget. Perhaps this is what happens when you boat shop? 2). Will the 150 yam be enough to plane quickly and pull an adult skier.3) can this work for family and friends as I described?

I would have preferred to buy something 2-3 years old but there is nothing in MD, DC or DE and I would like to get some boat time through the rest of the season. also, I was quoted 6-8 weeks for a new boat which wouldn't make sense.

There you have it, buyers dilemma. Thoughts are appreciated.

2. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Not familiar with your area, but have plenty of time on the water. First, Key West is a good solid mid level boat. Not the best, but a really good boat. Second, get the biggest motor you can find. Unless it is a pontoon boat or a displacement type hull, I don't know anyone who wishes they had less power. A 150 should be adequate for that boat. And not having a transmission, most boats get better mileage with a bigger engine. Used is the way to go unless you want custom.

As for what you are looking for, a dual console is going to be more cruising and a center console fishing. I'd look at 20-22 for 4 people comfortably. More is possible. But it gets cramped. Also bigger gets harder to trailer.
    Just make sure you do a sea trial, and buy the boat for what you plan to do most.

3. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    I don't know much about boats but you might post the question on this boat forum I found on the web for our region:

Mid Atlantic and Chesapeake Bay - The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

If you're going to tow it on a trailer, make sure you get a boat small enough that your current tow vehicle can handle it. Otherwise, you'll end up also buying a more powerful tow vehicle. My brother ended up buying a dually pick-up truck for his boat.

4. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    Check Boats for Sale, New and Used Boats and Yachts - YachtWorld.com

5. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    The Hull Truth is a good site. Only other forum I frequent. Lots of info there.

6. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Thanks, I have been checking out the Hull Truth, Boat Trader, Yacht Trader, etc. I need to make a decsion today if i am going to get any use out of it this year or may as well wait until one of the boat shows.

7. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Boat shows are great for trying a bunch of different models, but I'd look for a slightly used boat. Save a bundle, and easier to trade up if you decide.
    And just move down here, you can use it year round:D

8. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    You posted here?.....Haha!!!!

You are making the right decision...

BTW - Come to the Annapolis Boat Show next month.

9. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Definitely, perhaps you can cruise us in.

10. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Ping John Lamour. He used to post on here a lot and is an avid boater.

S/N Dcup

11. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    You can't cruise in Bro.... They got Annapolis Harbor tied down tighter than...... well you get the idea....

12. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    right, either way we will be there. I will sync up with you. Come on out to VA soon.

13. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.
    We have a 2008 211cc that we purchased brand new in July 2008, when it was in its first body-style year. The boat has been absolutely great, we really love it. So easy to just brush down and hose out at day end. Has a small bathroom, a nice layout and gets tons of compliments from boaters in nicer more expensive boats. Ours is that blue color and we have the factory T-Top.

The boat's sides are well designed so that in medium rough water it shoots the water out to the sides to keep the riders dry. Some complain the V-hull is not deep enough for very rough water. We only go in the Long Island Sound in lower CT to Long Island and Westchester so there is no real ocean nearby. In rough water over 2.5 feet is not the greatest ride.

We have the 150hp Evinrude E-tec engine which is very torquey and adequate since it is a two stroke. It doesn't smoke or smell and never gave us 1 hiccup of trouble since new. I would not go with a 150hp 4-stroke of any type. In fact, I would not use a 4-stroke at all. If you choose to buy this boat and want 4-stroke get the 225hp which is the max the boat can handle. If you don't like Evinrude, I would consider the Yamaha HPDI two-stroke.

Any other questions, PM me.

Matt

14. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Finally did it. Pulled the trigger on a new Sea Hunt Ultra 234 with some custom fishing options and plenty of cushions for the family. Only decision is color, so far leaning towards a light shade of green which looks very nice but a full black hull looks pretty awesome as well.

15. cptndon

cptndon Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2005
    Annapolis
    Black(dark) hulls usually only look good from a distance. Will show every flaw, scratch, ding, and dirt. Also can be too hot to touch in short order on a sunny day.

Whichever color you choose, enjoy your new boat!

16. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Yes, that is my concern. - just like a black car... Thank you.