First Bike, Honda 919 | FerrariChat

First Bike, Honda 919

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by FarmerDave, Jul 30, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    I was offered a very, very clean, 7,700 mile, 2002 Honda 919 in a straight up trade for a high miles E36 1997 328is coupe... It looks like the 919s go for $3500-$4000 in that condition and the E36s is about $2500 tops in its present condition.

EDIT: PREMATURE POST! I wasnt finished typing yet!

Well, maybe I'll just leave it like this...

For a guy who has ridden, but never owned a bike before, and will use it to commute 10 minutes a day, is a bike that big a mistake? I WILL respect it. I didn't respect a 250 once. it bit me. Lesson learned.

I am signed up for a motorcycle training course this weekend, whether I do this deal or not.

2. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    If you are tall and strong enough (plus mature) the bikes size should not have a significant affect on safety. Remember respect the bike and it will respect you

3. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    That part is all that matters. In PA, you get a Class M motorcycle license if you successfully complete the course. It's great!

I know nothing of the 919, but I wish you well!

Matt

4. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Tall, yes, strong, uh, strong enough, mature... uh oh. :)

I do have enough self preservation in me that popping wheelies and riding triple digit speeds anywhere, in any condition, seems like the worst idea on the planet.

5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    E36.....chump car candidate?

btw I like the 919, (also the smaller one...599) looked at them as my first bike, but I liked the FZ6 better and ended up with a Ducati Monster. read into that what you will.

6. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    The E36 is too clean to be a chump car candidate, and anyway, my list of racecar projects is too long... :) (picking up a garage slot for another car is a bonus :) )

Why did you start at the 919? I can imagine why you ended up at the Ducati...

I wasn't in the bike market until this offer was made to me... but I really like the naked bike look and this bike is as clean as any used bike I've ever seen. And it's time I learned a new skill... riding a motorcycle fits the bill nicely.

7. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I wouldn't say I started at the 919, I just knew I wanted a sporty standard/naked bike so looked at the options. the FZ6 (or FZ1) was the default choice, the Monster was the fashionista choice, the 919 and a few others (Kawasaki had the Z1000, I think Triumph had a naked bike then, etc) were somewhere in the middle.

I chose the Duc because it was Italian and sexy and sounded great :eek:

8. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Cool.

By the way, my apologies to this section for not reading the sticky before starting this thread. :eek:

9. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    A healthy respect for the danger and performance of a bigger bike minimizes the chances of an accident far more than getting a bike with lower performance and not having that respect.

10. JayRedmond

JayRedmond Rookie

Mar 12, 2012
    General consensus is to start with a lower powered bike. However, if you have previous riding experience and can respect the higher powered bike, I don't see an issue with starting on a Honda 919. You also have to remember that even if you ride carefully, you might find yourself in panic situations with cars encroaching your lane etc. I have seen riders open the throttle in such situations and get into trouble. If you can handle it with a cool and calm head, go for it.

Btw, I returned to riding after a 15 year break and started on a litter bike (Yamaha FZ1). Been riding for the last couple of years and it has been a good "starter" bike for me.

Hope this helps.

11. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    #11 FarmerDave, Aug 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  13. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Hope you guys don't mind if this becomes a bit bloggish.

So I finalized the deal last night and spent about an hour driving (strike that... riding... I'm such a rookie) in 1st and 2nd gear idle speeds around the block, around my residential neighborhood, around the empty commuter lots at the university a few blocks away. A few times I tickled 30mph. I know, I know! Slow down killer!

I learned quick to let the clutch do the work from a standstill. and give zero throttle input until I was fully balanced, on the bike, and pointed in the right direction. Any other way and things happen way too fast!

I also remembered that a radiator needs air moving through it to properly get rid of heat. Luckily the ECUs control the fans but I still kept a close eye on the temp gauge. Never overheated but it clearly didn't like puttering around. Toward the end of the hour, I was getting smoother leaving stop signs and had the confidence to keep a 25mph pace around bendy residential roads. That made the bike happier for sure.

My butt was sore. My hands were a little fatigued. It was a blast and very satisfying to have improved my smoothness somewhat from the beginning of the ride and the end.

14. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Keep the naked side up!

Wai-

15. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
  16. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    FarmerDave! FarmerDave! /Forrest voice

My only advice, and you would be a very unwise person to not take it*, is to subscribe to this magazine TODAY:

https://w1.buysub.com/pubs/B6/MCN/MCN_PROMO2794_CONV1.jsp?cds_page_id=102865&cds_mag_code=MCN&id=1375542630021&lsid=32151010216044195&vid=2

It is remarkably good for actual grown-up sport riders. Things I have read in it truly have saved my life.

*if you don't spring the 20 clams for it, I'll buy it for you.

On, and if you really want to live long and prosper, get David Hough's book

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1889540536

17. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    sounds like a rough night in San Francisco!

:eek:

18. Vinny Bourne

Vinny Bourne Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2011
    Like Jay said, I don't think many people would say it's a good starter at all for the average person/rider, but if you are athletic enough and quick enough(mentally) then it should work out. I started out around 2 years ago in a similar situation and my bike is 80lbs heavier with 10bhp less and it is still very fast 0-60 3.7 and yeah things can happen quick.

I now have 9500 miles on mine. Don't ride tired, always be fully alert looking at every vehicle and driver, reactions and driving to me are instinct not learning, so hope yours are good. Times to be extra careful are surprisingly when you are sitting on it moving it around parking spots with your feet, thats when a heavier, taller bike can bite ya. Always scan the road surface ahead especially turns.

19. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    An AMA membership more than pays for itself in insurance discounts.

Shop ebay for gear.

20. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Have put about 100 miles on it, outside of safety course time spent this weekend. Mix of highway, around town in midday traffic, and twisties. I'm riding within my limitations, and having a blast, even though I'm hardly ever going over 60mph :) My smoothness and muschle memory has steadily improved with every short trip.

This bike is awesome. I haven't ridden a ton of other bikes, but enough to know that this one is a great fit for me. And I had never heard of such a model before. Heck, I had only vaguely entertained the idea of ever owning a motorcycle in the first place. It's like this thing found ME rather than me finding it. :)

A buddy's dad stopped by because he saw it in my driveway... I don't know him really well, but I knew he's an old bike guy and he totally approved. :)

Thanks for all the suggestions! Uro, I bought the book you recommended.

Re: the magazine, when I entered all my info into that page to subscribe and hit submit, the transaction page was "blank"... I'll check and see Monday if they can trace the order.

By the way, the 2nd owner (I'm the third) tells me that a bunch of its 7700 miles were done on a cross country trip from Texas to Deal's Gap back when the bike was new.

Tired now, up early tomorrow to finish the riding portion of the safety course.

21. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
  22. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Passed the safety course!

And then this happened... I'll just repost what I posted on Facebook.

23. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    #23 GuyIncognito, Aug 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    welcome to motorcycling :p
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004