Planning a boat purchase - I'm thinking Tiara | FerrariChat

Planning a boat purchase - I'm thinking Tiara

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by Valenzo, Sep 19, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    #1 Valenzo, Sep 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So for most of my adult life I've been working to realize the fruit of the seed my father planted in me regarding boating. As a child, my Dad was a recreational sailor of a '40 Morgan sailboat and I really enjoyed sneeking away with him to the open FL waters.

Fast forward 40 years and I'm finally in a comfortable position to own my own. I enjoy sailing, but I prefer motoring. So, I bought the home on the water [check]. Have my own pier and electric boat lift [check] have a willing young family to go exploring with [check]. Have the time to go out and the financial wherewithal to go often [check]

Now it's time to find the right boat. Since I've never owned an adult size boat, I believe I should start small [under 40']. Since I have a family of 5, it should be 30' +

Parameters:

Boat dock can handle up to 40'
    Lift is only rated at 10k lbs. I'm looking into larger cap lifts, first

Because I have children, we need a cabin and I would prefer a hard top over the helm.
    I like the seating arrangements to be all at the same height and looking forward, I don't want anyone left out and forced to sit facing aft or isolated from the rest.

I've chosen the Tiara 3200 Open because of the seating, hardtop and cabin layout. My budget, however, is only 100K. This pushes the year range into the 2000-2003. And eliminates diesels. If I wait a year, (getting the dock upfitted) I could put together another 50k but that only puts me in the 2006 range and maybe diesels.

I'm not really asking any pressing questions here, just wondering if anyone has a Tiara or similar, and are diesels really worth the extra money and the wait. I think I should attend the Ft Lauderdale boat show, maybe there are other brands with similar layouts I should consider but with only a 100k to spend, I realize I'm not in the new market.

I love the style and layouts of Downeastern boats (MJM) but that may have to wait until I get some experience in on a smaller boat and less expensive one. MJM's and similar are 300k +

Our purpose is island hopping in the Atlantic, OBX exploring and after I receive my captains license and perhaps a larger boat, bounce down the coast and ultimately the Bahamas. This will be my eventual retirement activity (still operating my company via phone and Internet from the boat) but at 48 I still have a little time to make the right choice and grow into the right vessel.

Would really like to hear from those who are owners and or those going through the same passage and or experienced sailors of all types.

-Ted
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    #2 Valenzo, Sep 19, 2013
  3. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
  4. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Ted,

Go to the boat show and look around. Visualize seriously how you plan on using the boat. ask a lot of questions. Look at different options in your price range.

I believe Tiara makes a nice boat. I know someone with one. He has a 38' with pods and IPS and diesels. In other words, he did it right for his type of cruising.

"I could put together another 50k but that only puts me in the 2006 range and maybe diesels."

Is that the same size boat with diesels or a larger boat? It's unusual to see diesels in anything not around 40'

If you are going to be in that range of boat, I strongly urge you to understand the differences between diesels and gas engines. Do the math.... There is a reason all the commercial guys run diesels and pleasure boaters run gas. They want to get into a boat they can't afford so save money on the front end. But, diesels run more efficient, less likely to leave you stranded, and should last forever if you maintain her well.

I know a guy with 4800 hrs on his and they are running strong. Good luck with gas engines.

I did a comparison between a 35' gas boat and a 41' diesel and the diesel cost less in fuel to go cruise. So, more robust engines, heavier boat, much more room, and cheaper.... It might be a bit more for other things that get charged by the foot, but really, is that the big issue? A slip, a couple more $/ft, a haul out, a couple more $/ft, etc.

Bottom line is, there's a reason there are so many choices in boats. Everybody's "mission" is a bit different. For example, I see things in the Tiara that bother me... Might not others, but it doesn't suit me.

The other thing I suggest you do is ask these questions on boat forums and specific boat forums, like a Tiara forum. Get a sense of how strong the community is and if they can really help. One forum I suggest is thehulltruth.com .... Lots of good info there.

Good luck....

PM me if you want to get into more specifics.

5. bluedog111

bluedog111 Karting

May 5, 2009
    GTA
    A diesel is not needed in a 32 unless you need the range. Another style option is the intrepids wa series. They made a 339 and 359 series. They will be faster than the tiara and less systems/maintenance. Good luck.

6. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    If you are buying a boat with inboard engines such as the Tiara, I would suggest going with diesel engines. The are safer, more reliable and will provide you with a much longer range. If you are looking for a gas powered boat, I suggest a boat with 2 large outboard 4 stroke engines.

7. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted

Great info, all. So you've helped make up my mind, diesels it is. I just needed confirmation from a few who have more experience than I. I knew I wanted diesels but I didn't know that that feeling was actually valid.

Now, to see if diesels are available in a 32' boat. Because yes, I want range, long life and maneuverability.

Thank you!

Letsjet, I'll be in touch.

Good day to you all

8. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Finding diesels in a boat of tthat length will be difficult. In fact, if you do, really understand how she was designed and weighted. Diesels will weigh more and a boat of that length might have trouble carrying them. CG might be an issue as well....

I'm afraid you might need to move up in size... Keep me posted and good luck.

9. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    A pal of mine is just finalizing a deal on a Tiara 55 with twin Cats. He tells me (after touring their production facility) that they are the best. That is good enuf for me.

10. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    My father innlaw had two Tiaras IIRC. I know he had a 35' with twin turbodiesels for sure. The boat previous to that was a 32' Tiara with gas engines. The diesel boat was far less stressed when motoring. Trolling and idling around is fine with gas engines but I would not recommend them for long distances at higher speeds. Tiaras are great boats. Much nicer than the Luhrs boats he had previously. Definitely smart to buy used like you intend to do. Have fun and take a boating safety course with your wife.

11. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    #11 Valenzo, Sep 20, 2013
    Well, after listening to all of your advice and researching a bit further regarding sizes and diesels, it looks like the 3500 is the way I will go. The 3200 does come with Diesels but Letsjet made a good point about the weight and CG and even though porbably more manageable, Just 3' more makes for a much more usable boat for all that we want it to do. I've found that 2000 - 2003 is in my range and by upping the budget by 50k, I get a much cleaner example. My only other concern is my dock and lift. I would imagine this boat has about an 18klb displacement.

So now the fun begins.. Learning about the electronics, navigation etc. What I must have, what I can do without

Michael, thank you for weighing in, your input means a lot to me. And BT, I agree. I have a safety course lined up as well as Captain license school.

I really, really like the 3500 Tiara Express cabin and the deck layout.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    #12 Valenzo, Sep 20, 2013
  13. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Congrats on your decision....

14. adc

adc Karting

Feb 1, 2009
    Make sure you get a "boat survey" and take a sea trial.

15. bluedog111

bluedog111 Karting

May 5, 2009
    GTA
    If you are boating on the ocean, you need a ditch bag, life raft and the most important item, an EPIRB.

Lifts, look up Sun Stream. They are one of the best lift manufacturers. When calculating the weight of the boat for a lift, add fuel, water,gray water, gear, people, more gear......

16. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    I don't know if you are at the stage of looking for provisioning and purchase advice....

I would look into a marine survey and engine survey. Schedule them for diff days....

17. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Thank you for the advice. This is the reason for my thread. I'm keeping an electronic file with a checklist on the best advice given. I know very little. I currently own an 18' bass boat and that's the extent of my boating knowledge. It's up on eBay at the moment, as its time to move forward.

I will call around in Dec looking for a dealer for the Sun Stream lift. I've done my math and a 24k lift cap should be plenty.

18. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I'm not quite there yet. I'm guessing the new lift and install will be around 20k. I'll get past that first and then start my boat search in the January. Or, take advantage of fall/winter/bad economy pricing and purchase the boat first, rent a slip at the maring 2 miles up the road and then get the lift/dock redone.

So I'll take any advice you're offering.

19. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Had to look these up. On the checklist.

"An Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon or EPIRB is used to alert search and rescue services in the event of an emergency.It does this by transmitting a coded message on the 406 MHz distress frequency via satellite and earth stations to the nearest rescue co-ordination centre."

Ditch bag:

Waterproof VHF, GPS
    Compass
    retired flares
    glow sticks
    whistles,
    smoke bombs
    multi tool
    Knife attached to lifejacket
    Rope to weave the wife and kids if abandon ship
    Water
    Flashlight / strobe light
    Floatations device
    EPIRB

I guess you could over do it.

20. bluedog111

bluedog111 Karting

May 5, 2009
    GTA
    You should visit these two forums, boatdiesel.com and thehulltruth. All the info you will ever need.

As a note it always astonishes me that people regard diesels as cheaper to run. The fuel cost may be cheaper but the batteries, turbos, inter coolers, fuel systems, oil changes, heat exchangers, filters are much more costly to maintain. The only time a gas boat is not safe is when the owner is not maintaining it or following proper procedures during start up.

21. adc

adc Karting

Feb 1, 2009
    If you are waiting until early next year, go to the Miami Boat show.

Mind if I ask where you will be docking the boat. I see you mentioned OBX and we live in Chesapeake VA

22. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Yes, i really would like to go but i believe its in October and ill still be in our IL home doing the final move. So im not sure i can make it.

I'll be docking it in front of my home in Wilmington, NC. I have an attraction to OBX, cant wait to explore it.

23. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I guess theres an argument for both sides. Using my vehicle experience.. I have 2 diesels and all the rest are gas. The MB diesels have been complete workhorses that have required nothing but diesel to keep going. Thats the impression im coming from.

Im on thehulltruth.com

24. adc

adc Karting

Feb 1, 2009
    Miami is in Feb 2014

25. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    I word about Epirb..... (and I think we are way ahead of the game here)

Remember that PLBs (w/gps) and Epirbs work in conjunction with satellites. It could be a few hours for one to come overhead and usually the USCG waits for a second hit before they start asking questions. So, they are good to have if you're going offshore, but have a preliminary plan.

Things like DSC VHF Radio, cell phone, filing a boat plan, are really more essential for coastal boating, IMO.

Ted, you use the same SN on THT? I'm over there too and you're going to get a wealth of info from that forum.

In regards to the diesel vs. gas debate, I'll say one thing and then leave it alone. Look at your commercial guys. The guys that are watermen and are only concerned about the bottom line. Ask yourself, what are they running....

Also, I really advise you to get to a good boat show and get on other boats of this size. See what you like and what you might not have thought about. you haven't pulled the trigger yet so there's an opportunity to really make sure it's a good fit.

The Annapolis show is coming up.... the Miami is great for Mega Yachts as is Ft Lauderdale.

You asked for advice, and my advice is to start a preliminary search. Go look at boats that might not be exactly what your looking for but are close. Look at the subtle differences. Initially things start to blend together, but the more time you spend on them looking at different ones, the more you'll be able to discern the right one. Don't be afraid to negotiate and walk away. You never know when the right boat will show on the market. Looking for a boat when you want it works against you because you want it "now". That might make you rush, etc....

Asking price is just that, an asking price.... Some owners are more flexible depending on their situation and how realistic they are. You need to get someone to tell you the BUC and soldboats pricing to give you a baseline of how they are really selling.

My feeling is things have picked up just a little bit this last year. But, who knows if that will hold... Lot's of owners are unrealistic about their valuations. It takes awhile, sometimes, to find one that's a good fit.