motorcycle vs range rover in nyc!!! | FerrariChat

motorcycle vs range rover in nyc!!!

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by ferraripete, Sep 30, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Crazy. Poor family would have been scared silly. Child will never recover!

Over nothing if the m/c's hadn't over reacted ...
    Pete

2. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Lesson learned
    Never come to a stop
    Keep moving at all cost

3. Vinny Bourne

Vinny Bourne Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2011
    36,000 cops in NYC and not one in sight. No cell phone in the RR? Not to mention the crappy laws up there.

4. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    #5 CornersWell, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
    Mob behavior gone out of control. I've seen undisciplined rides like this end badly. You've got a lot of young, aggressive riders who are happy to go at a moment's notice. I know of riders who carry nuts and bolts in their pockets and dump them out in front of drivers they are angry with. Not justifiable under any circumstances, of course, but I understand the anger. I've nearly been killed myself by inattentive or poor drivers.

From the start of it, it looked to me like the rider was turned towards the SUV. He also was drifting into the lane. So, something may have been going on between them. Then, he went in front and slowed down without giving enough room for the RR to stop. Not to mention, there are dozens of bikes to keep track of (passing on the right and left). That driver didn't have a chance.

I totally understand the driver panicking and fleeing.

Charges are pending, I assume?

CW

5. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I ride a bike. We've all been angry (and terrified) by an inattentive driver.

But this is terrible. Mob rule.

Driver should have stopped as soon as he touched the bike. Apologized.

After that called the cops. That's what they are there for.

6. Vinny Bourne

Nov 25, 2011
    see the ny section thread

7. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Apparently, he did stop, and the vehicle was attacked. That's when he became fearful and plowed through the crowd.

Will go to NY Section.

CW

8. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    Apparently they tried to slash his tires. If true, at the sight of a knife, surrounded by a mob looking for trouble and with a family in the car, I'd say restraint must be justifiably thrown out the window.

NYC media are reporting the biker who initiated this has been arrested and had the book thrown at him - child endangerment, the works. The man run over is reportedly paralyzed but, for being a part of a mob, for blocking this family in and for recklessly menacing drivers, I'm not mustering any sympathy. This is NOT a motorcyclist vs driver issue. This was a road riot looking for a target. IMHO.

9. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Must have been so terrifying for his daughter, that's all I could think of :/

10. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Not only tried. Did.

CW

11. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    If I was behind the whee of that rover, more then one of them would have been paralyzed. I would have pinged them off the road until they got the message loud and clear.

These guys where really dumb. A bike against a 4000 truck, your gonna lose that fight every time. Why would you pull in front of a truck and hit the brakes? The bike will slow and stop much faster then that SUV.

12. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    CW, did not know that when I posted. The thinking here seems pretty much aligned. Will also check out NYC section now, thanks.

13. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    That's why I carry when I'm out and about with my family.

14. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    You can't in NYC and as you can see NY's Finest were on the scene quickly-NOT!

15. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    One of the other videos floating around shows the convoy of bikers passing some NYC police who are just blocking traffic for them. I guess driving a few thousand motorcycles without legal plates or equipment through NYC is okay as long as the right palm gets greased.

:(
    BT

16. jm348

jm348 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 21, 2007
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff M
    He was on the phone with 911, the operator is the one who told him to exit the Highway :eek:

17. Vinny Bourne

Nov 25, 2011
    Yeah that worked out great. I agree with most everything said in the NY section thread on this matter. But let me expand my point now that I have read some astonishing facts that i didn't know until a few minutes ago. But first let's look at technology and what is possible.

All police cars and officers can be tracked in real time and it can be displayed on a screen/map of the city. That is very easy to do technically. So when a person in distress calls and gives their location, it should be easy and quick to tell them where the nearest help is and to also tell the cop(s) how to arrive in the shortest time.

As we all know the help arrived way too late. Why? Bloomberg was too concerned about milkshakes?

Amazing facts that I was kinda aware of when I educatedly guessed at 36000 nyc cops, well guess what I was right and also;

NYC has the highest density of police per area

120 police officers per square mile

compare to only 21 per square mile in Los Angeles and 13 in Atlanta

great facts here - City Size and Police Presence

18. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    These facts are only useful for statistical purposes. Bottom line, if the cops are not there when you need them, then you are on your own. Cop density and distribution and statistical analyses might tilt the odds in your favour when applied correctly, but it's still a very simple and very binary consideration for the victim...is police there or not, yes or no?

19. Vinny Bourne

Nov 25, 2011

Which brings up my other point that many other posters alluded to. In many states especially in the south, a large % of the pop. are armed. These types of dudes would adjust their behaviour quickly.

and the Castle Doctrine as spelled out in my CCH booklet is designed for situations like this.

20. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Somethings not right when (as reported in the news) there were some off-duty or undercover leo's travelling with the gang.
    I smell a cover up, curious to see how it unfolds.

21. fred412

fred412 Rookie

Oct 27, 2013
    This is Fred Larsen (FRED412) I really worked hard to find your Email .
    Finally got access to Chatforum, Years ago I noted that you had the drawings for a cylinderhead removal tool on PDF that FAS publshed years ago.Working on a 412 engine,and
    I am desperate for that tool! Talked to Ferrari of Atlanta,but they have no clue.
    Can you help? My Email is [email protected]

22. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Fred,

I think you posted this in the wrong section.

Mike