KTM Superduke 1290R | FerrariChat

KTM Superduke 1290R

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by buzzpics, Nov 5, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. buzzpics

buzzpics Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2013
    Frisco Tx
    #1 buzzpics, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    If this thing sounds as good in real life as it does on youtube...I think I'm going to fall in love.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8heeP16TIc]KTM "1290 SUPER DUKE R" Actionvideo - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw29lKIgFlQ]KTM 1290 Super Duke R - Akrapovi? Sound | 192HP Racing Edition - YouTube[/ame]
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Vinny Bourne

Vinny Bourne Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2011
    Looks like Judge Dredd's ride. You can't beat the japs for sportbikes, all the euro bikes I have looked at have unacceptable flaws.

This is what I will be adding in 2014

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa0wozKzrDg]TOCE exhaust on my R1 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fimZRsBkZfk]Yamaha R1 TOCE exhaust - YouTube[/ame]

3. 1974gt4

1974gt4 Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 19, 2009
    in my garage...
    Full Name:
    Dr. Italiani
  4. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Name some of these flaws.

5. Vinny Bourne

Vinny Bourne Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2011
    I ride 5000 miles a year so the bike has to be fun, reliable, and comfortable. I rode an s1000 for 45 minutes becuase I was thinking of that one. Great looking and best numbers. Well the vibration I felt was a deal breaker and from what I found out there are threads like this one;

Arggg, just got back from first ride and having buyers remorse! - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum

Next I was looking at the MV F3 800 because it is the best looking in its class and the specs are also great. well I read a couple reviews and watched another done by a euro based mag on youtube.

They pointed out serious issues with this new design.

primarily @6:20 and also 2:50
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0ef4Lk92pA]800-class shootout | Road tests | Motorcyclenews.com - YouTube[/ame]

echoed in a Cycle News Issue 26 Vol. 50 page 44 and 45
    Cycle News - Cycle News 2013 Issue 26 July 2

Ducati - looks and price

All of them also share this very large problem, ridiculously small dealer network. Some people buy bikes, look at em, talk about them, and sell them with low miles. Not me, I buy and ride. Completely satisfied with my Suzuki and looking forward to a Yamaha.

6. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd

Ok, you've looked at two bikes, dealer network valid point depending on where you live; but 5000 miles a year is less than an old Ducati's valve interval. :)

7. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    #7 FerrariF50lover, Nov 15, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
    I will echo the performance of the bikes from Italy. I was VERY interested in a 1098S or a 1198S, the bike is BEAUTIFUL hands down one of the best looking bikes ever made. I love the way it sounds and I love mostly everything about the bike. I began looking at the bikes close, the riding position is awful, the performance is truly lack luster. Maybe I just don't get the whole Italian bike thing. I have ridden the S1000R and I can say without a doubt its one of the baddest bike money can buy, the gauge cluster looks a little cheap but thats not a deal breaker for me. The things about the S1000 that stood out to me was the speed shifter (badass), traction control, and just the oddball look of it. I finally settled on a hayabusa I also own a GSXR1000. I am a drag racer that is branching into a mile racer so the Ducati doesn't lend itself well to either. I have owned 2x GSXR1000 2xR1 1x Hayabusa and some American cruisers.

8. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Seems to be working for Cadillac...and Lamborghini.

I like it. Would grab a 990 Super Duke but NYC is not bike owner/storage/riding friendly.

9. vee12

vee12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2008
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Les
    The BMW is a great track tool, as are many of the Japanese offerings. They are anvil-like reliable and faster than 99% of their owner's talent levels. However, none of those bikes has the feel or sound to keep me walking back into the garage late at night for another look or a bit of wax. As specialized as the bikes are these days, any of them is a compromise or will have "flaws" if used outside of their design envelope. Best solution is to own several! That said....it's the sound of various bikes that keeps me interested. Any large V-twin (especially a Duc) the Aprilia V-4, Triumph's triple, and a 70's vintage 2-stroke Yamaha or Kawasaki just makes me smile and makes me want to ride...flaws and all.

10. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I have ridden KTMs, a 450EXCR and 350EXCR for years and they have both been trouble free.