1973-75 Norton 850 | FerrariChat

1973-75 Norton 850

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by Yoric, Nov 23, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    I want to buy a 1973-75 Norton Commando 850 (Mark III) in very good to excellent condition. Originality is secondary to condition and desirable upgrades (metal gas tank, ignition, carburation, oiling, primary, seat, suspension, etc.). The closer to Colorado the better since I always like seeing/touching before I buy, and I hate shipping. I have a covered trailer and will travel up to 500 mi. Email me at <[email protected]> if you have one that you'd consider selling or if you know of one that's available.

2. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    #2 toggie, Nov 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Excellent choice. I love my '75 Commando Mk III.

I believe the Mk III's were made in 1975 (they have the shifter on the left side, rear brake pedal on the right, electric starter, front & rear disk brakes, etc.).
    The 1973 and 1974 Nortons still had the British shifter on the right (brake pedal on the left).

Good luck on your search.
    Here is a picture of my bike.
    Mods include no-cross-over exhaust headers, '74 style tailpipes, air cleaner box replaced with K&N filter - otherwise stock.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    #3 toggie, Nov 23, 2013
    This is what a completely stock 1975 looks like.
    Note the longer tailpipes, cross-over pipe between the headers, and the plastic air cleaner box behind the carbs.

Like my bike, it is a "Roadster".
    Norton also made an Interstate model and a Hi-Rider model (different gas tanks, seats)

4. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    I'm envious, of course, but it gives me something to aim at. I also realize that I need to pay attention to present/past owners and their expertise derived from real experience: the 1975 model with the shifter on the left and the electric start (plus kick start?) would certainly be my first choice and perhaps the one I should hold out for and be willing to pay more.
    thank you for lesson one.

5. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I had a 74 commando in college.
    Metal flake blue
    The sound the smell the rubberized vibration
    Loved it
    I even remember the handgrips
    Cushy oval with horizontal ribs
    So primitive, so british

6. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    Yes, the electric starter on these bikes is pretty weak. It will work okay if you are restarting the motor after a short stop, such as getting gas or having lunch, but it does not work well for starting the bike when it is cold and has been sitting for a while. The kick starter is often needed to get the bike going at first.

The bike has both a center stand and a sidekick stand. So, if you roll the bike back on the center stand, then kicking down on the kick starter is no big deal and can be done repeatedly until the bike starts.

The are some nice modifications for these bikes. For example, there is a conversion kit to a much stronger Japanese starter, along with thicker electrical cables that connect it to the battery. I'm thinking of doing this upgrade for my bike. The link for these mods is here.
    Atlantic Green Parts Counter - Norton - BSA - British Motorcycle Parts

I've owned a 75 Norton Commando since 1979. My current bike is actually my 2nd identical black & gold Norton. I sold my first one in the late 1990's - I thought I was done with it. But a few years later, I missed it and found one just like it for sale on the internet. So, I have a bike just like my old one again. :)

7. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    #7 toggie, Nov 23, 2013
  8. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    #8 toggie, Nov 23, 2013
    Did you '74 Norton look like this one? Beautiful color.

Notice that the 1974 bike had the shifter pedal on the right side of the engine, brake pedal on the left.
    Also, 74 and earlier bikes had a drum brake on the rear wheel. 75 was the first year for the rear disk brake.

9. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    #9 jeffdavison, Nov 24, 2013
    Resto finished last year on my '74. Every bearing new, rebuilt transmission, all hardware Stainless, Seat recovered, new paint, RGM belt drive, Oil cooler, Taylor head steady, MK3 isolastics, One piece rear axle mod, Jim comstock breather, Jim Comstock hydraulic cam chain adjuster, Colorado Norton rebuilt oil tank, Landsdown Dampers, Ikon shocks, Akront rims, New exhaust, Oil pressure gauge, stailess oil lines, Sureflex clutch, Kehin FCR carbs, '75 cam chain cover, Shorei battery, Pazon Altair ignition, LED signals and stop light, air horn, and converted to negative ground. Currently installing a Brembo front caliper and a Gafler "wave" front disc. Saving the pennies for an Alton E-starter...... 7,700 original miles.
    JD

10. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    Beautiful bike! Congrats.

11. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    Oh my gawd, I'll never get there! Neither a 2013 Norton nor a restoration cum makeover seem attainable from where I sit. The $$$, the time, the brain pain as well as the expertise to put it all together may prove to be too steep of a hill for me to climb--unless, of course, by dint of unimaginable fortune, I can find one already done by someone who's lost interest, which is hard to imagine (unless s/he is lusting and saving for a Vincent). Deep down I know I'd rather buy a real (1973-77) bike that's been well loved than a brand new version. One with soul, patina, and years of storied miles. Please keep me in mind if you know of such a bike, now or in the near term. In the meanwhile, I'm on a steep learning curve and loving it.
    thank you all.

12. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    #12 jeffdavison, Nov 24, 2013
  13. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    OMG... Thats it
    I cant believe I remembered the handgrip shape
    I m sure mine was a 74
    Year i grad high school
    I think Norton toughted some type of isostatic engine mount on frame
    To reduce vibration!

14. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    Jeff,
    Amazing transformation. I can only imagine the hours (years?), research, costs, and heartaches that it took to get the original red motorcycle to the beautiful silver grey showpiece in the pics you posted.
    To all who've chimed in and supplied those most useful links and great suggestions, many thanks. I have passed the word locally and plan to join the regional Norton enthusiasts group. In the meanwhile, my banker (a.k.a., wifey) has raised my monthly allowance so the piggy bank keeps getting fatter and fatter just in case something pops up during the holidays.

15. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    Thanks Yoric, Actually, 6 months from start to finish. No heart aches at all, a few unexpected challanges, but nothing soul sucking. This is the 5th Commando I've owned since I learned how to ride on one back in '74 as my 1st motorcycle, so I'm intimately fmiliar with them. The bike is amazingly simple to work on and the peeps on the Norton forum have centuries of knowledge and advice from all over the world, at their fingertips if you get into anything that may seem over your head at the time. A truely invaluable resource.
    The last owner had painted the tins a horrible orange for some reason and I couln't determine the original color. I painted the bike myself and believe it ot not, it's succses came from meticulouse prep and spray cans. I've pained many tanks and if you know what you're doing, you can have very good proffesional results. Din't save a bunch of money because quality materials are not that cheap, and considering if I had to pay myself for the time I still came out a little ahead...and everyone likes a little head now and then ;)
    Total cost was not crazy. You just have to find a good base to work from...Just don't pay full pop for Norton and then shovel money at it ove it's finished value. They are fun bikes / projects and you can take your time putting it back together. I just wanted to finish it while I still had the vision in my minds eye of the end of the tunnel. I have a few other projects that are near a decade old.
    If you need any help or advice feel free to P.M. me.
    Best of luck!.. btw.. now would be a good time to find a base to work from as in the Spring, prices always tend to rise.

JD

16. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    #16 jeffdavison, Nov 26, 2013
  17. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    #17 John B, Dec 9, 2013
  18. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    not fair! you've got THREE and I'm still pinning for one. Looked at two '71 750's in the past week that needed everything but were being peddled by dreamers ($$$$). Since winter has come early to the Rockies, I guess I'll settle in, keep my powder dry and wait for the right 850 to show up.
    By the way, your number 2 looks like a very nicely done café with its alloy tank and minimalist cosmetics. I won't ask if any are for sale since you're about 3K miles from me any way. Thanks for posting the pics, at least I'll have something to lust after.

19. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    They are addicting!
    I bought #2, then came across #3 and just had to have it. 2 & 3 fill a similar niche, so I could easily be talked out of #2. PM me if you're interested.

20. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    John,
    sent you an email

21. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Seriously pretty bikes. My brother had one growing up in England. I remember it was 828cc and cost 828 pounds (sterling). The CNW bikes are works of art - and priced accordingly. Should be able to do most of the work yourself - he fell off it, bought a new frame etc and put it back together.

I remember the timing chain used to stretch unevenly. Assume better quality available now.
    Philip

22. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    Improper maintenance is the culprit for the timing chain strectch. Some stretch is normal for any chain.

Should be adjusted at regular intervals which most owners neglect because the primary cover needs to come off to check, which is a bit of a hassle for some DIY'ers.

In the '75+ E-start, there is a window w/removable plug that stretch can be measured to determine if adjustment needed. Cover still needs to come off however if adjustment is nessesary.

There is an aftermarket kit for a hydraulic self adjuster with a heavy duty cam chain that should allieviate most if not all worries. Almost an install and forget item.

On my '74, I've put on a '75 primary cover and the hydraulic adjuster kit.

JD

23. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Think it was a 71. Wild living and a divorce caused us to part company in the late 70's...so why do I still remember the serial #?

And you guys are too young to remember the Norton print ads. The britbabes were OUTSTANDING.

24. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    #24 toggie, Dec 30, 2013
    BSA had the best ads in the 1970's magazines, IMHO. :)

Here are a few of the old Norton ads. (yellow bike is the rare "Hi Rider" model).

25. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    No THAT young!
    I bought my first motorcyle in 1974. I was 19. It was my first Norton. I taught myself how to ride on it.
    I'm now 58 and on my 5th 850 Roadster since the day.
    I remember those ads quite well!

JD