Honda CBX value? | FerrariChat

Honda CBX value?

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by rdefabri, Dec 23, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I know someone that owns a Honda CBX (I think a '79) - he may consider putting it up for sale, and I would be interested at the right price.

He seems to value it higher than I would, but then there is sentimentality there.

Other than the fact that they are wickedly cool, I don't know enough about them. I've seen them around $8K, which seems right to me.

Is that the average?

2. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    $8k would be an very, very nice one that needed nothing and had original exhaust and airbox.

$4-5k seems to be the starting point for a ridable complete bike that might need paint work or is missing unobtainable parts.

The CBX was the next bike I am looking for as I restore the VF1000R I found last summer, but the ratty/cheap CBX around are getting hard to find.

Many you see are either restored or completely clapped-out. Sounds like he has a nice one. With that said, I doubt any CBX short of a perfect museum piece is worth more than $10k in the real world.

3. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    It's all original and 1 owner. I would guess it's nice, but it hasn't been used much at all. Probably wants more than $8K, but I think $6K might be on point.

Haven't seen it, this is based on his explanation and his multiple projects.

4. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    An original, nice, 1-owner 79 CBX is a decent deal at $6k.

Charging system issues are almost always an issue and can be expensive. A carb clean/tune/synch is a monster deal as there are 6 of them. The engine has to be partially lowered down just to get them off the bike. A rusty fuel tank is never any fun although the modern treatment methods are much better now. The clutch basket/assembly is nearly always noisy unless every component is brand spanking new.

A sorted one is a fun bike and the sound is pretty cool.

5. roadracer311

roadracer311 Formula 3

May 6, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I agree with others about the lower value. Normally, a really nice one is about $5k. For something that was showroom perfect $6k wouldn't be out of the question. I can't see anyone wanting to pay $8k for one.

6. JohnCT

JohnCT Rookie

May 5, 2005
    For 15k regularly. An nos tank is 2 grand plus. Nos side covers another thousand.

Great bikes but not cheap.

John