Recommend me a first bike. | FerrariChat

Recommend me a first bike.

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by DriveAfterDark, Mar 4, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Getting license this summer;

I like classic/naked bikes and most of my driving would be in the city. My budget is 3000-4000 $ for the bike (just to give you an idea, actual local price in my currency will differ - some bikes will be cheaper in US than here and vice versa).

I've been looking at:
    - low mileage Kawasaki 250R's, but most people tell me I'll be craving for more power right away.
    - any 80s to 90s classic style Honda, but I don't know how easy it will be to source parts when something breaks. Waiting two months for a part could quickly mean that the season's over for me :p
    - early 2000 Ducati Monsters. Love the look, insurance is cheap too. How is the reliability/quality and maintenance of these?
    - many recommend Honda CBR 600 F2 as well. Not a naked bike, but I sort of like them (seem like a safe bet) and they should have great allround capabilities.

More suggestions please :) Something with decent reliability and easy handling.

2. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
  3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    the ultimate ME urban assault bike.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTPjWrDmsZ0]The delta force dirtbike. - YouTube[/ame]

4. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Uro hit it right on the head.

5. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    SV650

Monster 620 or 600. In the US early 900 Monsters are in that price range too.

Kawasaki made a 750 standard bike (ZR750?) not sure what it is called over there.

You could find an early Triumph Speed Triple in that price range, but it might be too much for a first bike.

6. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    Zero Motorcycles S??

Kai

7. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Very first bike? Like, essentially no experience with riding? If so, I'd suggest something expendable since low speed drops can be expected. That way, if it does happen your pride and ego won't hurt as much. :)

8. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Ducati Monster is a great choice. That was my first bike.

Don't listen to everyone who says you'll drop it-- be careful, and you won't. I never dropped my Monster in 3+ years of riding it. Also, the Monster is an easy bike to handle when pushing it around.

9. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I am also in the same position and have a few questions that would help with the advice from here.

Do you have any motorcycle license now (i.e grading structure in Canada) or will you be going for that in the summer?

Have you ever or do you ride bikes now? (Dirt Bike? Scooters? Mountain Bike? Road Bike?)

I am going for my full license in the summer as well but will be looking at a Ninja or Honda 250cc bike. This would be my first bike and insurance is insane for a younger male with no experience. The 250 is a good start which will help reduce future insurance costs. I don't own a bike but have ridden a variety of dirt bikes and smaller bikes in addition to actively riding bicycles (comfortable on two wheels).

Have you looked into what insurance would cost with a small sample of bikes? I called around for quotes on the 250cc Ninja, 600cc CBR and the SV650 only to find the 250 was far cheaper. That was mainly because of my new license status.

I have heard from many people that you will be craving more power fairly quickly. I have also heard that movies I found hilarious were boring for some. Not to mention the time someone told me the peppers in the wrap are "not to bad" to spicy and I couldn't bare the heat from them. It's all about perspective and what makes you comfortable. It also helps that the Ninja 250 has a fairly powerful resale (buy used and sell). To put it in a car perspective you hear on the forums all the time that a young driver should not learn in a Ferrari because of the power.

Safe to say that applies in bikes considering you sound like a young, bike, driver?

10. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    +1

It's not to say you will not but I know lots of people who have never got into an accident while driving with a car. Therefore no reason to assume that you will drop a bike.

11. roadracer311

roadracer311 Formula 3

May 6, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul
    SV650's are great bikes but require more coordination than most bikes because the throttle response is huge right from idle, and the clutch is a bit abrupt. Same thing with the Ducati Monsters, though less so for the 620's, since power-wise they're on par with the Ninja 500.

I'd check out the Honda 599, also known as the Honda Hornet. Here in San Francisco, they're worth a lot. We didn't get that many of them here. They may be easier to come by elsewhere. See if you can find a Kawasaki W650 (basically a Japanese Bonneville).

I would definitely stay away from anything from the 70's or 80's unless you're more interested in wrenching than riding. They're neat bikes, but not really transportation anymore.

12. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Yeah but with a beater bike there's one less thing to think about, damage. Instead, learning how to ride is 100%.

Besides, Monsters are pretty heavy and top loaded when compared to many other "beginner" bikes.

13. Vinny Bourne

Vinny Bourne Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2011
    BINGO , not a good first bike for that reason plus the heavy weight and higher COG.

I would suggest a kawasaki ninja 300. Learn how to handle it and become a good rider, then after a few years, go up. Maybe bikes get a bad safety rep because so many are in the deep end too soon w/o skills.

14. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    #14 kizdan, Mar 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. DriveAfterDark

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    #15 DriveAfterDark, Mar 5, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
    Yikes, divided opinions here on the Suzuki! I will try to test drive one, if I get a chance!

Thanks for the input Roadracer; I will definitively try a Monster 620 also, just to see how it is for me. Like hobby cars I have the need "to feel it" and to me the Ducati allure is very tempting (I like Ferraris after all).
    We do get the mentioned Honda here (in Europe), it's called the Hornet, with a different look (although I prefer the classic look of the model you guys get!)

Do you have a video for every single subject there is on this forum? :p

I like the Kawasaki idea, but don't see any for sale around here. I have noted it and will check it out if I come by it.

As good as no experience. Had a fun summer with a moped, that's what keeps bringing me back to 2-wheelers. I didn't feel any need for power, I just loved playing around on the streets on sunny days. It's like the first time I owned a convertible (and a sports car at that); a '93 Miata, it was hard to let either of the attributes go (convertible experience + sportscar experience).

Thanks for the input! I have googled a lot on the Monster and it seems like a safe bet, with decent reliability and enough power for a newbie!

I have not had any license in the motorcycle category except for moped/scooters, which is included for everyone who has a car license. I have owned a moped before but that was only for a summer, so my experience is next to nothing.
    The alternative of a lower cc (250-300), new-ish bike vs. normal cc (600), older bike is absolutely valid and something I have kept in mind.

I think it will be smart to start easy, the temptation to try personal limits on empty roads could become irresistible :p

Thanks.

So basically the suggestions boil down to 600cc Japanese naked bikes that are 5-8 years old... :)

I think I'm going to buy a secondhand moped again (right away!) because I have license for that, so that I can take MC classes and go practice on my own later in the evenings.
    It will also itch the itch a little bit because the summer doesn't last forever here in the North and I would get to have some 2-wheel fun before I eventually get the heavy bike license (estimated time for those classes are 2-3 months! Which means maybe 1-2 months left of warm weather to enjoy the eventual heavy bike...).

16. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    My first bike was a 2001 Honda CBR 600 F4i. It is no where near as hardcore as the newer sport bikes. I found it to be a great first bike since it was forgiving enough when I first started riding, but I didn't get bored of it after I had some more experience. Also, it was fuel injected which was a big thing on my list. I bought it for $4k, rode if for 3 years and sold it for $4K.

17. jmbarba76

jmbarba76 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 12, 2009
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Joe B
    BMW S1000RR

18. jmbarba76

jmbarba76 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 12, 2009
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Joe B
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkFMFEYIu4I]BMW S1000RR vs SUZUKI GSXR 1300 Hayabusa - YouTube[/ame]

19. skelly

skelly Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2011
    I always recommend that a first bike should be as lightweight as possible. And for city riding I think that a light bike is always the right choice. You should buy something like a Kawasaki Ninja 250, Suzuki DR-Z400SM, or KTM's new 390 Duke.

The Ninja is extremely popular, at least here in the US. There are lots of them for sale every year and it they sell quickly. That means you can ride one for a year and gain a lot of experience for the cost of maintenance and typically very little depreciation. It's a cheap, reliable, and available means to an end. It's my default recommendation for a new rider.

My other big recommendation: spend the money on high quality safety gear. Regardless of the brand, buy comfortable gear. You'll find yourself a lot happier if you're wearing it when you have a crash.

Good luck! Ride safe.

20. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Imagine the 14 year olds in driver's ed, day one... now throw them your 355 keys. ;)

21. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Lots of people want more power before they are really ready for it. Bigger bikes are fun to point straight on the highway and accelerate hard. Learn how to ride a small bike well and you will be able to ride a big bike well too.

I am by no means a "fast" guy, especially compared to some of the guys here. But, there were 3 buddies that I rode with on back roads and tracks. They were on 1GSXR 1000 and 2 R1s. I was on a Ducati 748. I was the second fastest everywhere we went because I rode my bike everywhere and I got instruction even though I gave up a ton of HP and I weighed 40+ pounds more than any of them.

My point is start small and learn as much as you can. Read books, take classes, become a smart rider.

22. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C

+1

Had a 99 900....basically bulletproof for 15,000 NYC miles over 4 years or so. Power management with a twin is much easier...won't spool up rapidly like a 4 will and leave you hanging on for dear life. Last year of the carbed version. I can't speak to reliability of fuel injection, but I'm not aware of any issues.

They've been building the Monster forever...lots of aftermarket parts, and a lotta guys know how to fix em

(I think they totally screwed the design in the last few years....I liked em much better before Ducati started to compete with MV Agusta and felt the need to "update" an iconic design.)

Good luck. Get some training. Enjoy.

23. DriveAfterDark

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    #23 DriveAfterDark, Mar 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just started my first part of the learning process: we had a 3 hour (obligatory) safety and information course that learned me a bit about safety and riding technique theories... They said most accidents happen on clear days because riders take more risks then, and more stuff like that...
    Next up is taking theory test about traffic rules and safety, I got a book to read...

I have thought a little bit more about the first bike and discovered the 2007 Kawasaki ER6n. It has good reviews, about 65 hp so it's quick (but probably not dangerous), I think the looks are great (the black/red one is nice) and it's priced the same in my local secondhand market as a 2002 Monster. As much as I like the Monster I think a 7 year old bike is a wiser choice than a 12 year old in terms of reliability and maintenance!
    But we'll see. Surprisingly many great alternatives to chose from, I'm excited!

They do seem like a safe bet, but I don't like the sportsbike riding position. I want to sit straight and exercise my neck muscles :)

Sure, if you provide me with a "restart level" button for my life ;)

I actually agree with you on the 390 Duke, they have my attention. Lots of good reviews and with a little more saving I could get an almost new bike that's probably sufficient for a couple of years. Always been a preacher of "more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow" mantra and that applies to MC's as well ;)

I have a midrange Shoei helmet that fits my head well, Rukka leather/Gore-Tex gloves and yesterday I ordered some TCX "urban line" Gore-Tex boots as well (bought them based on the reviews on Revzilla). The driving school I'm attending has jacket and pants for rent, that's what I intend to use first, and when I'm ready to buy the bike I will get a higher-end Spidi leather jacket + pants and safety gear as well (my logic is that Italians KNOW motorcycles so they must know a trick or two about motorcycle gear too!).
    My body is priceless :p

Thanks for your input! The 748 is my second most favorite MC, behind the Bimota Tesi 3D!

Thanks for your input. I really like the Monster line, even a Hypermotard down the line seems very appealing.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    The Kawasaki is a great choice from what I've read. I miss the 748 every day. It was my 2nd of 3 Ducs (900ss sp was 1st) and the one I did the most miles on. 500 mile days were a twice a month occurrence for me but it took 3 days to stand up straight and walk properly afterward. I traded it to a club member for a Monster 750. I liked the Monster but it just wasn't as pretty as the 748.

25. MotoMeccanica

MotoMeccanica Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    Calgary Alberta
    My first streetbike was a Monster 620. It was great in the city and around town, not so much on the highway though.

I did really like it.