what comes after a 134' yacht | FerrariChat

what comes after a 134' yacht

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by F SPIDER, Mar 27, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    Working on the interior of a large customer yacht in Italy, we are discussing (too early) the next yacht. We need a step up, separate the crew and the family more, and prefer a fully customizable interior, rather than fixing a current design.

Our client is a major shareholder at Caterpillar, which lead him to this Italian brand. What other alternatives are out there?

2. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Feadship or Delta Yachts will build whatever he wants.

3. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Westport in the US is pretty good but if he wants to step it up, Lurssen is big time. Westport has a 40 meter option that he might like. I just toured one last weekend and it was impressive.

4. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    134' equals 40.8m, so he is at that level already. We would like to move away from the tennis shoe design, and Feadship has a fantastic design at 80m. However, to go from 40 to 80 seems to be a big step...

5. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I understand but the Westport 40m has a wider salon that most of the others which makes it bigger than many others, plus the one I went on had a very separate crew quarters from the family staterooms. Although, I might be mixing up my yachts as I toured so many. If you want to pm me, I can give you the info of an actual yacht guy who specializes in moving people into the right yachts for them. I think that he only does 112' and up and he's currently overseeing construction of something like five boats for clients.

6. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

delta makes a fantastic yacht or yacht class passage maker...obviously located in the pacific north west.

trinity is in Louisiana...makes a very fine composite or alloy yacht.

palmer Johnson is a legend and located in thunder bay, WI

as ryan said, lurssen is among the very best and have really taken things to the super, super yacht ranges.

Note: Wesport and Fedship while nice, would have to be considered "off the rack" yach manufacturers compared to the foregoing.

in any event, 134ft and beyond is still well into the thin air!!!

7. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    does Sabates still own them?

8. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    The founder of my wife's company built 8 Feadships and 1 Delta. I was on 6 of the Feadships and the Delta. The last one built (I think) was the 168' Feadship. It wasn't the biggest one he built but in my opinion was the most amazing. If I had a spare $50-60 mil laying around I'd order a Feadship.

9. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    [QUOTE

palmer Johnson is a legend and located in thunder bay, WI

[/QUOTE]

That didn't sound right....it's Sturgeon Bay WI, with showroom in Monaco and Fort Lauderdale FL

10. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    I'm a little tired of the broker scene....

Even the wharf we are building the current yacht with are constantly jockeying for position.

I guess it is hard to build the "be all, and all" yacht, like Steve Job's yacht from Feadship.

11. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    I have a meeting set up with Feadship in April.

12. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    From the little that I know having been in FL for a while and run into people in the boating industry, fully custom sounds like what he wants, but by far the most expensive.

Semi-custom like the PJ I think is a better option. Quicker time to delivery, known track record of build quality and servicing, and can still customize the interior and cheaper per-foot. Palmer Johnson now make 150+ ft yachts. The 210 is very nice looking...the 170 is a little too militaristic imo. But still cool exterior-wise with a full length pool on the bow.

13. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    #13 F SPIDER, Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
  15. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

That didn't sound right....it's Sturgeon Bay WI, with showroom in Monaco and Fort Lauderdale FL[/QUOTE]

yes....sorry for my mistake. I knew better.

16. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I've been reading a massive topic over on pistonheads a while back, where there was a lot of people with serious inside knowledge. None where best pleased with what goes on in Italian shipyards; beer bottles lying about, cigarette butts just left on the floor and stuff gets built over it, electrics not always up to standard. Even when the build was managed by people who get the job done properly, as soon as the person in charge turns around it's same old story.

Best in the business are the Dutch and Germans, but it reflects in price. I very much like the Heessen 65m fast hull. One day...

If he is willing to take the risk and go Italian there are several nice yards with very nice designs. Personally I find the ISA Classic range is very good looking.

17. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Either Feadship or Amels. I believe Amels is a part of Feadship, FYI.

There are many good yachtbuilders, but I think these are the two best.

At the lengths you're contemplating, this is a custom build. I think you've maxxed out the production and semi-custom hull lengths. Last I recall about 125' was the largest production hull. It's possible there may be longer, now, though. But, if there are, they aren't likely significantly longer. Maybe up into the mid 130's.

Production hulls will save major $, but that may not be the driving concern. Owners usually want their own design, as opposed to working within constraints at those levels. Even buying and re-fitting an existing superyacht might possibly be an option.

CW