What so you guys think if the new $5k Sea-Doo Spark? | FerrariChat

What so you guys think if the new $5k Sea-Doo Spark?

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by MVDESQ, May 26, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.
    I saw a commercial on Saturday during F1 practice for this new $5,000 Sea-Doo. Any good? How come so cheap. Skis 15-20 years ago were that price. Seems enticing.

2. Schimpf

Schimpf Karting

Jul 20, 2005
    CO
    Full Name:
    Schimpf
    #2 Schimpf, May 31, 2014
    Last edited: May 31, 2014
    Searching for it finds an ECU tune & supercharger kit for $3500 is available haha...not sure if that's better than buying a New in Crate 1-2yr old high end model.
    Looks nice but after driving a relatives that hits 70mph, I am biased towards high-speed

3. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
    It depends what kinda water it will be in, but new skis are so big. The spark can easily jump waves and is a blast but it's pretty harsh. Smaller lakes would be ideal for it.

4. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.
    Intercostal waterway in north Florida. Never gets heavy chop. To me might be worth it since I only go to my mother's house like twice a year. I used to have a Polaris SL750 in 1993-1996 and a Yamaha Wave Raider 760 from 1996 to 2000.

That new in crate a few years old idea is interesting. I just feel they are hard to find.

5. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  6. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    However...

7. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.
    Ya I saw 2 of those videos last night. Scared me. I'll keep looking.

8. Schimpf

Schimpf Karting

Jul 20, 2005
    CO
    Full Name:
    Schimpf
    Seems odd how Yamaha is doing a hardcore comparison so early. I'm not sure I'd trust their review.

I'd expect the polymer to be durable. Spark - My Review

Might be a great ski for FL canal riding

Oh & you can buy the 60hp model & buy a ECU tune to make it 100hp (the delta btw 60 & 90hp model is ECU from a reply I read from Seadoo).

9. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
    Then this will be right up your alley, new larger skis get boring very quickly. Hitting top speed all day does nothing for me, jumping waves and such is the real fun. 5k well spent but you might have a hard time finding one, locally it seems you cannot get one.

10. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

When I was in mozambique last year we had a seadoo 260 RXTX (3 seater). I had a go on a guy we met there his yamaha with half the power and it really doesn't compare. More power I say! Especially on the lake big power is a lot more fun.

+1 on the waves. We switched days in Mozambique a lot, 1 day beach 1 day lake...I found myself having a quick go on the lake, take my friend out wake boarding for a bit (I couldn't, dislocated shoulder) and then resort to drinking and let everyone else worry about the thing.

Whenever we where at the beach I'd spend a lot more time on it, just playing in the waves. 10x more fun.

I'd love to try a 2 seater big power machine in the waves. The 3 seater had good stability but you could definitely feel the weight.

11. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.
    The one video shows that this thing can't just be opened up under the seat to access the motor like a normal pwc. Instead you have to open up the whole top. I like to rinse my motor after riding in salt water as it is so rough on the metal.

I've seen a few new left over VX Sport skis that maybe can be had for cheap.

12. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.
    Just met a guy that recently bought 2 sparks. A 2 and a 3 seater with the 90hp engines. He likes them so far and knows a few people with them. They ride in the intercostal in north Florida.

13. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.
    Here's a pic of one I just saw at Cracker Barrel. [​IMG][​IMG]

14. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    They're basically sold out in North Texas and we have lots of dealers. I'm moderately interested as I hate how big the newer skis are. I have an old 99 Sea Doo that I love. It's small and incredibly fun. It'll spin and jump like nothing newer can.

15. MurcieMurcie

MurcieMurcie F1 Rookie

Jan 31, 2004
    I had an Ultra 150 from 1999-2004 and loved every minute of owning it, started spending more time on the big boat so sold and have been looking past few seasons but the newer big models don't excite me at all.

16. adc

adc Karting

Feb 1, 2009
    SeaDoo did not come out with the Spark overnight. They have a testing facility in FL. FYI, R&D on the Spark was 8 years.