Motorcycle injuries | FerrariChat

Motorcycle injuries

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by wang, Jun 10, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wang

wang Formula 3

Feb 23, 2004
    Brunei
    Full Name:
    H. Wang
    Hi guys,

I was out riding my night rod last Sunday, 10 minutes into the ride I came onto an off ramp with a sweeping corner. I have used this road countless times. However this time, whilst going into the corner (and I wasn't speeding), I hit some loose pebbles causing bike to loose traction.

Sliding down, I landed on my left side breaking my collar bone and 4 ribs....

So now under a lot of pain medication.... :(

I was wondering how many here have had injuries and how bad?

Also needless to say, a lot of pressure from friends and family to sell all my bikes....

Best

2. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    I have been a biker for many years since 1972 or so. Almost everyone I know and ride with has had an accident. I never have yet but so close several times. If I had to guess, I would say between 5 and 10% of riders have an accident a year. That is a guess based on HOG letters I receive. I'm sure this will make you more cautious. I think it is extremely dangerous to ride and I wish sometimes I didn't like it so much. The risk has to be worth the reward and the risk is high.

3. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
  4. roadracer311

roadracer311 Formula 3

May 6, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I've crashed 12 times on the race track, over the course of 6 years of racing. I broke one bone in my little finger. Two or three sprains, one of which I can sometimes still feel over 10 years later. I was once run over (left hip to right shoulder) after crashing, which loosened up my sternum a little, but still managed to race the next day.

On the street, I've had three crashes but no broken bones.

I'm married now and have a newborn son, but I will ride until I'm too old to operate a motorcycle.

5. wang

wang Formula 3

Feb 23, 2004
    Brunei
    Full Name:
    H. Wang
    Luckily for me, I had my riding boots, kevlar jeans, leather jacket and full face helmet on, which definitely saved my skin from road rash and cracked skull...

On the outside i look fine just the broken bones.....

Ride safe all.

6. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    An old saying...

There's two kinds of riders. Those who've been down, and those who will go down.

With road conditions as poor as they are and traffic as bad as it is, I tend to agree with this adage.

Sorry to hear.

CW

7. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Yep. I think that saying holds a lot of truth. Right now, I'm one of this who will go down, but that's why I always wear a helmet, armored jacket, and armored gloves. I need to wear my armored boots more than I do.

Mark

8. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    2 ribs.

Left first metacarpal.

Same 2 ribs again.

Concussion-> overnight in ICU.

Intact skin thanks to Aerostich.

9. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Torn knee ligament (about a month after tearing it before), had to have another surgery.
    Concussion (hit a tree, out for a couple of minutes).
    Concussion (MX crash, head first into whoop face, out for about 3 minutes, don't remember anything of riding that day).

Got out of the dirt to keep from getting hurt ;). now street only

10. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I have never been down (thankfully), but have had a few very close calls with gravel or dirt in the middle of a corner. Now if we were talking bicycle accidents it would be a different story. I left a lot of skin on the ground when I used to race BMX.

I always ride with my full face helmet, armored jacket, gloves and boots. Will be getting armored pants soon as well.

11. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    On my 1st bike, which was a Yamaha R6, I was following my much-more-experienced friend on his bike through some twisties. I ran out of talent on a sharp left hander, and the bike proceeded to go straight, and I went down on my left hand side. I had a helmet, gloves, jacket, and boots on thankfully. I was severely bruised and scraped up on my left thigh (the only area I did not have protective gear on). I lay on the road, was able to sit up. Took about 10 or 15 minutes to gain my bearings. My friend was way ahead of me, and took a few minutes to realize I wasn't following anymore.

I got up, and we pulled my bike out of the shrubs. I rode it home, albeit very painfully and slowly. I went to the doctor the next day, and nothing was broken. He commented that I should be in a commercial for protective gear.

Got the bike repaired, and kept it for another year or so, but every time I got on it, I couldn't get the incident out of my head, so I sold it. I went bikeless for a couple of years until one day, while talking to a customer, I mentioned I was missing riding. He said "funny you mention that, because I have a bike for sale".... It was an '08 Yamaha FZ-1 with only 200 miles on it. He gave me a price I couldn't resist, so here I am about 3 years into ownership, with about 6k miles on the clock, and loving it! Perfect bike for me.

12. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    My dad had a very similar incident to yours a couple of years ago, lucky to get away with only a broken wrist. I think the thing that frightened him was how easily it went down at a relatively low speed.
    Sold his bike within a couple of months.

13. wang

wang Formula 3

Feb 23, 2004
    Brunei
    Full Name:
    H. Wang
    Scary when you think about it... Time to upgrade the protective gears.

14. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC

3 years and 6k miles! Get out more!

Trying to keep up with people is a big no-no

15. marknkidz

marknkidz Formula 3

Oct 7, 2004
    so cal
    Full Name:
    mark
    "if ya aint first your last"

just kiddin... anyways, I was told by many how exhilarating riding a bike was... so I "BIT" bought a Harley (of course, middle aged and balding...perfect bike for me!!) anyways, im very proficient on anything with wheels. Lots of offroad dirtbike experience etc..

Put about 500 miles on it.. NEVER EVER felt the "exhilaration" everyone said ya feel. All I felt was SHEER terror that someone was gonna run me over! Im guessing these people never had driven an F-car to red line before.. Now that's exhilarating!!

Sold it!!

disclaimer... had 2 people close to me both killed on bikes. One hit by another bike merging into his lane as he was coming out of parking lot...the other T-boned a car running a red light..

I will say, if I lived in a less populated area...such as the country, my experience might have been different..

in any case... the risk wasn't worth the reward in my case.

16. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I'd love to get out more!

Yup, big lesson learned.

17. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I've been riding dirt and street bikes since 1969 and have had three real injuries: 1) 1972- Fx right arm in motocross race;2) 2011- Fx C7 in dual-sport ride; and 3) 2013 - Fx right wrist riding single track in TN. mountains. I currently own 3 street bikes( 70 CL100, 72 750 H2 and 07 Ducati SC1000), 2 dual-sport bikes(13 KTM and 73 F11) and 1 motocross bike(72 TM400). While my wife thinks I'm crazy, I'm still riding them all on a regular basis, although I now ride at 7/10th rather than the 10/10th I rode before my 2011 Fx C7.

18. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    3 crashes and luckily walked away from all of them with only bruises because I wore all of my gear. Sounds like you minimized the damage to yourself by wearing yours too. Glad you are relatively ok.

19. wang

wang Formula 3

Feb 23, 2004
    Brunei
    Full Name:
    H. Wang
    Respect...!

20. wang

wang Formula 3

Feb 23, 2004
    Brunei
    Full Name:
    H. Wang
    Yup you're right could have been worse. I also can't help thinking that if I was on my Ducati diavel instead of the night rod, I might not have crashed due to it's better handling.....

What do u guys think?

21. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Our you might have been going faster....and crashed harder.

Knee surgery in the 70's and broken collar bone and cracked ribs in 2012. Both on the dirt. Just bought a 2012 WR450!

22. wang

wang Formula 3

Feb 23, 2004
    Brunei
    Full Name:
    H. Wang
    You're probably right.....

How long did it take for your collar bone to heal?

WR450 is superb mx. I bought a DRZ400sm earlier this year too.

23. Sushimon355

Sushimon355 Formula Junior

May 27, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Wade
    #23 Sushimon355, Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
    every rider I know has had at least one accident. I had mine on the road at the tender age of 18 and I wasn't even doing anything crazy. I was maybe going 35mph when a driver pulled out right in front of me and I had to lay her down. lots of road rash but also broke my left ulna, which required surgery. 24 years later, I still have the plate and six screws in my arm to remind me.

I've owned one enduro since my accident but didn't really keep it long. I've thought about getting another road bike b/c as most of you know, you'll always have the fever once you ride. but I made a deal with myself - instead of a bike, I would buy an f-car. still pretty darn quick but a little more protection around me. I've been pretty happy with that compromise...

be safe out there boys and girls!

24. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Never fell on Public roads. All my falls were on the track. I've broken the following: both collarbones left side twice, once in six pieces, All my ribs, my right wrist, all the metatarsals in my right foot, my right ankle, left knee cap, my left humorous twice.
    A total of 28 broken bones. Never used pain pills, ever.

Art

25. wang

wang Formula 3

Feb 23, 2004
    Brunei
    Full Name:
    H. Wang
    Jeez Art..... How did you put up with the pain?? I'm in pain just reading your post....!