Anyone else want one? | FerrariChat

Anyone else want one?

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by sburke, Jul 27, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
  2. B R

B R F1 Rookie

Aug 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    B R
    It's kind of cool but I have no desire for one, or any other similar 3 wheeler. But I think the old original Morgans are cool, ever since I saw the one in PP when I was a kid.

3. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    I like the concept, but this thing just looks odd. It almost seems unfinished at the rear. It looks like a kit car you see in the back of magazines. The design just doesn't have any sort of cohesion. Maybe in person it won't look so "thrown together."

Mark

4. Schimpf

Schimpf Karting

Jul 20, 2005
    CO
    Full Name:
    Schimpf
    I found it odd that a test drive review stated it remained flat around turns yet had a photo of the "trike" with an extreme lean. Much rather have 4-wheels, at the old Ariel prices.

I agree about the rear appearing unfinished.

5. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    It is interesting but I don't think I would be that interested in it. I want either 2 wheels, or 4. The one exception is the Morgan 3 wheeler.. those things are so cool!

6. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Very much want.
    Modern version of a Morgan or even Caterham/Lotus 7. What's not to love?
    The looks? Meh, nobody buys a caterham for it's curvaceous lines. It's a tool to provide maximum driving pleasure with minimal mass.
    2.4L Ecotec sounds like a slightly bigger version of the 2.2L motor in the Opel Speedster. Nothing exotic but very tractable and eager to rev. Also fairly easy to supercharge though 175hp should be enough to have fun with 750kg and a single drive wheel.
    But having one of these would make me curse Houston's lack of curvy roads even more than I do now...

7. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Loved the Morgan 3 and looked into it seriously recently but after driving it and hearing horror stories from a friend who has two (as he needs two as one is always broken), I have to pass.

The Slingshot, in theory, is a reliable alternative at 1/2 the price. A Forbes article stated that you need a motorcycle license though. Does that sound right? If so, that's an immediate blocker (for me at least).

8. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Just confirmed via a Polaris dealer that you need a motorcycle license. Looks like I'm out.

9. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Why can't you get a motorcycle license? It's really quite simple.

Mark

10. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    I could - just, it requires time. I don't have two days in the foreseeable future.

11. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Why would it take two days? Back in the day it was a simple written and riding test. An hour or two tops. The test would be interesting in that thing though...

BTW, I imagine there will be many of these running around operated by people without M/C certification.

12. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Written test here in WI was 40 questions on a computer that took like 10 minutes. I didn't do a riding test since I took a practical course and passed, but I remember seeing people take the test rather quickly.

There's really not much to it.

Mark

13. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Only 2 days if you're talking about the MSF course. Borrow a 250cc something and go take the test...although the MSF course is valuable for both old and new riders...

(I believe in NY a MSF course is accepted in lieu of a road test...it was when I lived in NJ).

14. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    When I was a Rider Coach for MSF back in NY years ago, you did get your waiver for the m/c driving test. I highly recommend this class for any rider, new, or as we called them, "Re-entry Riders". RER's are the guys who had dirtbikes as a kid and now have a new Harley as a 50th birthday present to themselves. The smart ones take the Class, the not so smart ones dump their bikes at the end of their driveways trying to Flinstone brake and balance when coming to a stop. One poor fellow was t-boned and killed as he left the HD dealer in Albany, NY.

I can instantly spot an inexperienced driver in traffic. He doesn't defend his lane (rides to the right of center) and puts both feet down when coming to a stop. Front wheels have a bad habit of sliding out from under you in gravel or road debris.

My favorite students were the girls who came as a posse to support a friend who wanted not to be alone. They had no preconcieved notions about how bikes worked and were open to coaching. They always scored high in the tests. The worst were the mamas who were being kicked off the back of their old man's Hog and had been given a new Sportster to ride. They self destructed on the range as they didn't want to be motorcyclists.

15. wang

wang Formula 3

Feb 23, 2004
    Brunei
    Full Name:
    H. Wang
    Looks cool but wouldn't want to be rear ended in one.....

16. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Has anyone driven one yet? Looks pretty cool but I have enough toys right now.

MDS

17. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I dont see caster or camber in front suspension...in other words...It handles like a toy car.

But I like the overall mood of such machine...same with T Rex

18. NORTY

NORTY Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2008
    CARLSBAD, CA, USA,
    Full Name:
    NORTY
    Yep, seen them all, many times...