Considering a new MV Agust Brutale | FerrariChat

Considering a new MV Agust Brutale

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by walnut, Sep 16, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    #1 walnut, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
    I'm in Europe for work for a year and as such, I've caught the bug to buy a new Euro motorcycle. I'm looking at the BMW R Nine T and Triumph Street Triple R but the MV Agusta Brutale 675 and 800 Dragster have caught my attention.

When I get back stateside I'd like to add one of these MVs to the collection but I know next to nothing about the company or owning a bike like this. Is it difficult to get a hold of one? Will I have to place an order a head of time or bribe someone to get onto a waiting list? I assume its not like a Honda where if I don't get the one on the showroom floor I can come back next week and get the exact same spec bike as it comes out of its delivery crate. Are spare parts EVER available? How will the cost of services compare to getting the BMW or the Triumph (the salesman I spoke to hear explained that with the newer models, its not "much" more expensive than a Japanese bike though I'm not sure I believe him or if that's just true because I'm in Europe)?

I am leaning towards the 675 as honestly, I don't need the extra power or adjustments available on the 800 but the Dragster's design has me weak in the knees. Right now I have a 2003 Buell XB9S that I'll be keeping and I love the riding position, etc. I don't race or even really push the bike hard, I just like to go out and cruise, commute, take a few short touring rides, etc.

Thoughts? Advice? POC at your favorite Baltimore/Philly dealer that would like to help me get one lined up when the time comes?

2. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Love, love, love the Brutale! One of my favorites! Excellent choice.

3. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Go for it!

I must say, Harley blew it.

4. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
  5. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Thank you, Ney. I emailed them today (or yesterday, I can't remember) to see if they could give me some guidance. I'm pretty excited about this :). It'll be my first Italian vehicle!

6. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    You should be able to deal a bit on the 675. Once the 800 came out demand for them seems to have dropped off a cliff. I would be surprised if the 675 is even contiued as a model for 2016, if not sooner.

Dyno run!
    Dyno Run: MV Agusta Brutale 800 - Video Dailymotion

7. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    tundrafile - I had no idea. While it would be stupid not to try to get a deal on one, I'm more concerned with getting exactly what I want than a good price on "good enough". The more I look at them though, the more I want a white 800 Dragster. Is the Dragster even available in the US? I don't see it listed on the only 2014 US MSRP sheet I can find. That's a bit disappointing.

8. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    They have been in dealerships for a couple of months. MSRP is just under $15k.

I get what you are saying about buying exactly what you want rather than what you can get the best deal on. IMO that is what is driving demand for the 800 over the 675. None of these are cheap bikes, and the buyer of a new MV probably isn't cross-shopping a Yamaha FZ-09 with an 800 Brutale. Basically they will tend to have a bit more disposable income to spend and if you want an MV (or other Euro bike), that is pretty much what you want. So a guy buys a 675, but then always wonders how much more fun the same bike would have been with 20 extra horsepower from the 800, that it was a couple of thousand $$$ more would not be a big deal to this buyer.

9. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I'm not sure if you were trying to, but congrats, you've just sold me on getting the 800 instead of the 675! I don't want to have those second guesses either :) Glad to hear that the Dragsters are available in the US and at the price point I'd been expecting.

Thanks.

10. vee12

vee12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2008
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Les
    You should take a demo ride on a new Aprilia Tuono before you make a final decision. Awesome bike, best electronics package by far, and the dealers are dealing on them.

11. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    #11 pma1010, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I just traded my 2008 Ducati S4RS Tricolore for a 2010 MV 1090RR Brutale. When I bought the 1090 RR I also test rode the 800 Brutale and have ridden a 1090 R Brutale before. I have not ridden the 675, so calibrate accordingly.

The 800 is a nice, light bike. I think MV claim 360-370 lbs. It is easy to ride and quite small in the seat - handle bar measurement and fits me well (I am 5'9"). I'm guessing if you are 6 ft, you'll find it cramped. The bike sounds great, looks great and makes you feel great. Quick enough to be pretty interesting.

What's not to like? For me, one thing was off-putting. The engine has so little flywheel effect and such a responsive throttle map (I rode it in "Sport") that a very small movement of the twist grip causes a meaningful change in engine output. So, taking a turn and hitting a bump caused more of a change in the bike's attitude than I expected. Beyond this, it is awesome.

But, not for me. The 800 is quite quick. The 1090RR is insanely fast. And the sound (mine has the Corsa exhaust system) is unbelievable.

On why MV. My decision was entirely emotional. Growing up in the UK, Agostini (MV) Vs Hailwood (Honda) was a staple at Brands Hatch (local racetrack where they also staged the F1 races). The sound of the MV triple would reverberate through the grandstands. Caused the hair on the back of your neck to rise up, that sort of thing. Subsequently, MV was one of the final 4-stroke manufacturers to take on the onslaught from the 2-strokes from Yamaha and Suzuki. I remember the 500-4 was about 100 bhp and MV said that was as much as they could do and subsequently exited racing. Today, they pride themselves on being motorcycle art (it's their tag). And they are. Everything is beautifully put together and engineered. Put it alongside a Triumph and it pains me to say it (I am a Brit), but the Triumph looks cheaper and mass produced.

What's not to like about the 1090 RR Brutale? Well, it is certainly fast enough to kill yourself. Easily. It will wheelie at the slightest provocation in the first few gears (so be delicate with the throttle hand). I am guessing you want a good dealer close by. I am sure there will be issues from time to time.

Photo of the color scheme of my Brutale below (not my bike and apologies to whomever owns any copyright but it is a beautiful pic)

Philip
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    :) You guys are making me want to buy one now and have it shipped over here!

13. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Do the motorcycle guys have a European delivery option, a la Audi, Porsche et al? As a minimum, why not do a factory tour?

Fun options. Good luck.

14. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    To the best of my knowledge, they do not. BMW has a big military/diplomatic sales program but even their bikes are delivered at a dealership and are EU spec which would have to be converted before I came back. They'll do it, which is more than I can say for the other's I've looked at, but its not much cheaper in the long run.

If I can make it to the area, I'll have to look into a factory tour... hadn't thought of that before.

I'm pretty well set on getting it when I get home as the insurance here is much higher and I'd have to pay for storage of a second motorcycle when I only ride the one I've got here once a week as it is.

Thanks for the idea!

15. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    While not a Brutale, I once owned an F4 and it was the worse bike I have ever owned. The heat coming from the engine felt like you had a giant hair dryer blowing on your crotch and legs, the seat was like an aluminum high school bleacher, the off idle throttle response was so jerky it was unridable in slow or stop and go riding and the ergonomics will make an Olympic gymnast grimace in pain after 30 minutes in the saddle. The Ducati Sport Classic I replaced it with has the comfort of a Gold Wing in comparison. It did look and sound great though.

16. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Franklin,
    Yes, I believe I have read those comments before about the F4. Not sure what MV have done but the Brutale is comfortable and not unduly hot.

My first "big bike" was a 998. Matrix edition. Looked fantastic. Was a great riding experience.

For about an hour.

My first trip was 7 hours, bringing it home from KY. Neck, knees, wrists. Migrated to more "upright" bikes since then but still tempted by the sport bikes. Would love a PS replica.

The new F4 is 201 bhp, right... Oh my!
    Philip

17. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Franklin, my current bike is a Buell XB9S so I'm sure I understand the hair dryer on the crotch sensation you're talking about. Its not uncommon (I've already done it) for people to install heat blankets under the seats in an attempt to keep your "nether-regions" from melting. Fortunately though, the Brutale bikes are not setup like the F3/F4 as far as riding position goes. The seats are still fairly solid but again not as bleacher-like as the full-on sport bikes though I doubt it would make for a comfortable touring bike.

I'll have the MV, my Buell, and a café-ish project that I'm working on. None of which are truly ideal for touring, but the Buell is pretty darn good for at least an hour or two which is about as far as I've ever pushed it. I know there are better seats available for it too if I should want to go that route eventually. The MV will be a fair weather toy. I've decided its time to take some of the money I've been reinvesting into cars (buying, selling, saving, buying, etc.) and give our son's college fund a good start. I'll still have my toys, but not nearly as much money sitting in the garage not being used.

As it was for Philip, buying this bike is largely an emotional decision for me. Its the most exotic and artistically crafted machine I can justify at this stage in my life. Someday I'll move on back to little, uncomfortable, quirky sports cars (I just recently sold my Lotus Exige) and get something like an Alfa 4C but for now, this is what I believe allows me to have fun and be a bit responsible at the same time.

18. carcommander

carcommander Formula 3

Sep 28, 2006
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I have own a bunch of Ducati's lately a Panigale 1199. You need a dealer close by. Italian motorcycles have little problems. They are not Hondas.

19. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Had an 06 Brutale 910R and it was a blast. Bought at Ferracci. Had for a few years and it never had an issue except one time it sat for a while and the vacuum in the tank sucked it in on one side and I was convinced my kids did something in the garage but once I opened the gas cap and let the pressure out it went back to normal with no damage. Don't think I ever saw another one driving around while I had it. Loved the way it sounded with the titanium exhaust.