Kawasaki H2R | FerrariChat

Kawasaki H2R

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by tundraphile, Sep 30, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Finally unveiled today after a month of hype and controlled information releases.

The H2R is only for off-road use, H2 will be a street machine first shown in November.

Price is unknown. Lots of speculation on the H2R being in the $30-50k range and the H2 around $20k.

R makes a reported 300 horsepower, standard H2 is rummored to be in the 225-230 range and will also be supercharged.

Kawasaki Ninja H2R ? Officially 300hp of Hyperbike

This bike is possibly a game-changer within the literbike world.

Discuss.

2. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Pure insanity. I love it.

3. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I have an original 1972 Kawasaki H2; the 750cc 3 cylinder, 2cycle wheelie monster widow maker. I ride it 2 to 3 times a month and it always brings a smile to my face. Nothing sounds like an H2.

4. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    That bike is going to kill a bunch of over confident bikers. Scary thing! I'll pass.

5. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Dyno run. Pipe looks like the fires of hell.
    Kawasaki Ninja H2R Supercharged Track Bike Dyno Run Video

BTW, street version is out today. $25,000 even. A little heavy and "only" 207 stock horsepower from the supercharged liter four. More power would probably be an exhaust system and ECU changes.

6. The Kook Abides

The Kook Abides F1 Rookie

Jan 4, 2011
    Marketing ploy to capture horsepower heads.

I think the bike is for squids.

7. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    That's a lot of money considering I can go and buy a brand new Yamaha R1 with pretty much the same horsepower for substantially less money, or a BMW S1000RR.

8. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    I have commented elsewhere regarding the H2 that it will probably appeal to the ZX-14 crown more than the ZX-10 crowd. The potential for 250hp is there rather easily, but other than power (and a cool paint job), it doesn't offer much more.

As for the R1, the best and worst. Performance will be great, front is terribly ugly, seat is awesome. Crossplane engine is unique and desriable, John Holmes exhaust is horrendous.

9. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAo0LWQFxdE&list=UUQMELFlXQL38KPm8kM-4Adg]2015 Kawasaki Ninja H2 and H2R - Jay Leno's Garage - YouTube (15:32)[/ame]

10. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    I had one of those. This bike was for the insane but what a rush. not for the inexperienced and even experience you had to really be watchful of the bike. I loved it. Someone who is not a pure gearhead and power junkie will never understand.

11. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    As far as front end styling of the R1, of course everyone has their opinion. I have no issue with it. Overall styling, IMO, is much nicer than the H2, which is a bike I don't really find to be that attractive. Exhausts are easily changed.

12. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    #12 rdefabri, Nov 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Love the idea of resurrecting the H2 name. Hate the Ducati copied trellis frame - no need to copy (although I know Ducati "copied" the single sided swing arm). It looks beautiful, but I do not think "Kawasaki" when I see that.

This is what I see when I think Kawasaki:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    But...it can easily be tuned for more. And, look at the area under the power curve; this thing is a dragster, and it will stomp the R1 or BMW in a drag race. Different market than those 2.

14. suggett48116

suggett48116 Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2007
    Brighton,Michigan
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Really?? The BMW s1000rr runs 8's in the ¼ with a exhaust swap. You think a H2 will "stomp" that? The Kawasaki will need to be in the 7's before you stomp anything and I don't believe it will happen.
    And the new R1 made the major mistake of putting turn signals in the mirrors..... super bad idea ask any gixxer owner.

15. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    The H2 is but one chip tune away from close on 300hp. the road spec is simply somethign to comply on paper with a gentlemens agreement among manufacturers not to make a bike more than x power and top speed limited to 189.

The H2R uses two open snorkles for intake, the H3 one. I bet its a plastic pannel that gets popped out to open the second one. A chip, maybe a pipe and you gotta be close to if not bang on H2R motor specs.

Most bikes dont go to the track, and even when they do their capabilities are way beyond all but a few rider s. The H2 is simply the biggest badass machine(on paper) and that sells, plus it looks great and mean, somethign of an art the japanese lost to the Italians a while ago.

16. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

I had one also, crashed it, took the motor out and put it into a go kart..which was even more stupid..the middle cylinder used to get trashed all the time from the heat..

17. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Stock s1000rr is a 10 second bike. That's the way most people ride them. If you want to talk exhaust, stretched arms and sprocket changes then let the H2 guys do the same plus easy mods to get back to 300 hp. Guess who will stomp who then?

18. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Poser's bike. Will hurt a bunch of people. Without a very competent electronic package, this will be the orthopedic surgeon's retirement plan. I rode a bike with that kind of HP a few years back (990 MotoGP bike) it was no fun, not at all.

Art

19. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    It IS a halo product after all.

20. suggett48116

suggett48116 Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2007
    Brighton,Michigan
    Full Name:
    Carl
    So you think the street edition H2 ($25k) is the same bike as the H2R ($50k) race bike?. A few mods and it's back to 300hp?. So the street bike is the race bike is disguise for half the price? Cool thought but unlikely true.
    Please tell me the H2 mods will include 150lbs of weight shavings it will need to be in the BMW s1000rr class when it gets to the track :).

21. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Of course not, do you?

Never said it was the race bike. 300 hp out of the street version relatively easily? Yes.

It's 100 lbs more not 150. And it is a pig. Anyway, all I have ever impied is it will beat the S1000RR in acceleration stock vs stock or mod vs mod. That's it. Don't read anything else into it. Don't get your panties in a bunch, and put words in my mouth. Just have some patience and wait for real life performance figures.

22. B R

B R F1 Rookie

Aug 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    B R
    Saw both of them last night, pretty cool bikes, but the muffler on the street bike is huge & hideous. I'm sure a lot of people will be swapping that out.

23. visualfxpro

visualfxpro Karting

Sep 11, 2009
    It's a HYPER bike. The BMW is in a lower class. Not competition in any way. The H2 is like a 599 GT0 and the H2R is like a Enzo Ferrari. The BMW is like an Italia. Nobody plans to race Italia against Enzo.

24. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    #24 FerrariF50lover, Nov 16, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
    LOL lower class bike? The 15 BMW has better suspension, better brakes, doesn't look like sin either, also with the new traction control upgrade I bet its more advanced as well. The H2R isn't a street bike it shouldn't be compared to a S1000 that I can go to the local bmw dealer and buy.

Ill bite. I am a current S1000 and GSXR1000 owner and have owned almost every modern fast bike money can buy. My bone stock bike made 183whp. I believe the break down is 125lbs more then my BMW. The dyno on the H2 I saw the bike made 197whp which is respectable but with the weight gain I think I will still be able to handle one given the horsepower to weight ratio favors the beemer. I have gone 9's at 150's with a lowering strap only. My bike has the factory Akra slip on option but that's it. Where the BMW really shines is it doesn't loose a lot of power between shifts as seen on Brock's S1000 videos from 2010. The supercharger pulley is internal it's not going to be as easy to change as some people thought.

25. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    While I have no desire to buy the BMW it is an awesome machine. Where the H2 would probably be superior is roll-on performance and drag strip if completely stock. If both are allowed mods the H2 would likely be quite a bit faster in these areas, you know there is so much power in that engine once the tuners and exhaust guys get into it.

BUT...throw a curve or set of curves, or a track in the comparison and the BMW will always be lighter and likely have better electronic aids. Stock for stock, my money would be on the S1000RR to be faster with the same rider at a track day. Even modded, the H2 will be super powerful but always have that weight to lug around.

The H2R seems completely pointless but I am sure there will be some who fork out the $50k Kawasaki announced they will cost. I believe you have until 12/19 to reserve it. I wonder how many dealers are ordering one without a customer, speculating higher demand once the performance is verified. It will have unlimited top speed (unlike 180 mph for the H2), my guess is a top speed around 207 mph stock.