Hang Up Your Helmet | FerrariChat

Hang Up Your Helmet

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by msdesignltd, Dec 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
  2. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    I'm glad you hung up yours, but don't tell me what to do with mine.

Mark

kestrou and msdesignltd like this.
  3. NWaterfall

NWaterfall Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2009
    The Track
    Full Name:
    Waterfall
    Staggering numbers! Worth the risk to me though. In fact, I rode the 'Busa to the office this morning at 20 degrees F :)

4. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    1 year after I did the same, after my youngest daughter was born. To each their own - I was a LIFELONG rider - learned when I was at most 9 years old. We had dirt bikes as kids for as long as I can remember and I transitioned easily to road bikes. Laid my classic Honda down 3 weeks before I was married, still rode after that.

Birth of my children changed a lot for me. The day I felt a sense of trepidation on a motorcycle - I'll never forget it. I knew right then and there it was over for me. I sold all my bikes (except for my Honda - my father was second owner in 1967 and it's still in the family) and purchased some classic cars. Never looked back.

That being said, there will be a Ducati 916 / 996 / 998 in my garage one day. Just not now.

5. muk_yan_jong

muk_yan_jong Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2008
    Full Name:
    Brian McK
    #6 muk_yan_jong, Dec 24, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
    I too was a lifetime rider from 'round 10 years old. Was also a MSF instructor for a bit thinking that would get me over my developed dread, but I've become totally worn out and honestly scared by the apathy on the roads.

Overly connected people in their mobile clubs (some louder than my Duc pipes!) and the ever-present cell phone were totally overcoming my well practiced skills. It wasn't a relaxing escape anymore. It was survival and it was exhausting sometimes.

Nothing is a guarantee of course, but I can say for sure I won't be injured in a left-hander accident again.

I miss it so much though... It really has left an emptiness. I will ride again. On a Brammo, but I don't know when...

6. B R

B R F1 Rookie

Aug 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    B R
    I don't have any kids, and I've hurt myself more often & much worse when riding bicycles. That doesn't mean I'm immune to biting it big time, it could happen, but today marks my 45th anniversary of riding motorcycles (only 37 years on the street) and being lucky (or skilled?).

7. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Well said, I quit for the same reasons.

But one day... hopefully... I'll ride again somewhere else

8. Sparky Pug

Sparky Pug Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 22, 2014
    I don't ride often anymore like I used to... But I don't think would quit because of kids. Would be like laying responsability over loosing something important to Mr. Wouldn't be fair for all involved.

9. Sparky Pug

Sparky Pug Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 22, 2014
  10. Sparky Pug

Sparky Pug Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 22, 2014
    #11 Sparky Pug, Dec 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    By the tone of this post I say you ride Harley
    Probably a full dresser
    Maybe a soft tail
    Didnt mean to offend anyone
    M x mas

12. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    I make motorcycles. Please don't stop riding...

😜

Kai

13. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Not even close.

Mark

14. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    "hung up my helmet" will garner LOTS of understanding. "hang up your helmet" will garner lots of rebellious responses. :)

Former motorcyclists still aren't as bad as former smokers though in terms of the "do as I do now not as I did" crowd.

I will never understand the desire to encourage strangers to change their lives to lower their risk of injury.

I do understand street riding becoming less fun over the years with increased traffic regulation and decreased car driver attentiveness.

15. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    (and the latest stats are over 12 per day)

16. ghibliman

ghibliman Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2009
    S-hitty thread. Most of us aren't 18 years old and we know the risks.

And with everything there is a risk and reward factor.

Thanks for posting the obvious.

17. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

All I can say is Merry ****ing Christmas to all.

Geez guys, lighten up a little.

It's advice, not a command from on high. One man's view of motorcycles, not a dictatorial order.

Oh, and BTW, I hung up my motorcycle helmet 30 years ago. I was not cut out for it. Loved it, but feared it too much.

I don't think Michael was looking to offend, just point out what some here feel is obvious. Motorcycle riding is inherently more dangerous than driving a car, or riding the bus, or walking to work. Those who recognize the risk, but do it anyway, have my unwavering support to do so. Those who see the risk and choose to avoid it, do as well.

HO HO HO.

D

18. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    #19 parkerfe, Dec 25, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
    I read that ~3300 people die in USA bathroom accidents per year, ~ 9 per day and I still take baths. I've been riding dirt and street since 1969 and all of my injuries have been in the dirt, fractured, arm, C7 and left wrist. On the street I always ride like everyone else on the road are trying to kill me and stick to curvy mountain roads in low traffic areas. I hope to be able to ride at lest a couple more decades

19. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    You're the only one cursing. :)

One man's internationally viewable opinion on motorcycles is going to get responses.

20. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Here's my issue; I applaud anyone who says, XYZ is not for me, therefore, I'm not going to do XYZ. For example, firearms. Some people do not want the responsibility of owning a firearm. Great, I applaud you for recognizing something is not for you and acting accordingly.

However, don't tell me how to live my life. I can make life decisions for myself. I know the risks I take getting on a bike. I try my best to minimize those risks, but am willing to accept the danger of what I do. I don't put anyone else in danger, only myself.

It annoys me when anyone says, "I use to do this, but decided it's not for me, so no one else should do it."

Mark

21. muk_yan_jong

muk_yan_jong Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2008
    Full Name:
    Brian McK
    Me either and my worst injury (collarbone in 3 pieces) came from a bicycle accident, so I certainly get you there. Weird huh? I had street and track incidents with zero injuries so that is a statistic that wasn't supposed to happen. Another one of the reasons I felt my time was borrowed whenever I swung over in public.

I came to the conclusion that skills are great and I mastered the machines. But only when on the instructor pad. As soon as I went out on the street with the infinite variables, it meant nothing.

Not sure where I lost the "immunity" but I didn't like being broken and will do my best to avoid it. For me that meant backing off of riding.

22. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I would NEVER have guessed that!!! :eek:

OF course, folks tell us all day every day what we can and can not do. You, as a lawyer, should know that. :D (Edit) and, failure to comply has consequences, just like riding a motorcycle can. Difference is motorcycles aren't illegal, just not for everyone.

Mark. Go, ride, enjoy, be careful and be safe.

Dave

23. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    I rode dirt and street for many years, I sold my sport bike at at a point due to no covered/secure parking and finding it hard to find fun places to ride after a relocation.

If people want to ride, they should ride. I'm even against mandatory helmet laws on principle.

However - a contrarian thought; I would bet most posters here ride well-maintained bikes, have at least a modicum of skill, ride heads-up and use (what they think is) the right protective gear.

When I lived in San Francisco in the late 80's/early 90's, probably 90% of the people I knew who rode motorcycles wore zero protective gear, rode bikes with bad brakes or bald/underinflated tires, and had zero training. Probably the origin of the term "organ donor".

I got hit on my bike in the city by a woman who came over on me; turns out she had a glass right eye and didn't see me. Bike trashed, me slightly hurt. At the hospital being checked out, I was asked to interview with a motorcycle safety study. I was one of the rare accident victims who was wearing helmet/gear, had a license and insurance (!), had been to some form of training (Superbike School). They also told me that I was even more rare in that I had my own medical insurance.

That event changed my view a bit; I am fine with anyone who wants to ride. However, it aggravates me that people do not have the skill to ride, the wisdom to have a safe bike or the responsibility to train themselves; they end up in the hospital and we foot the bill. I cannot recall the number, but in that study the director mentioned that in SF, there were over 2 dozen accident victims on long-term, publicly paid medical support (due to head injuries).

I still want to get that Panigale I've been eyeing, I'm fine with people riding - you take your chances. I just dislike when somehow your judgment becomes my liability.

24. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    so given that motorcycle accidents where the rider has no insurance is such a minute fraction of uninsured medical costs, but that is your issue with it, what do you do about the rest of uninsured medical costs… you know, the other 99%?