Buying a Sailboat does it make sense | FerrariChat

Buying a Sailboat does it make sense

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by DoubleD33, May 17, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    The wife and I would like to eventually have a sailboat big enough for the ocean and would like to float in the Caribbean for months at a time so we are thinking the 60' range. We currently have no sailing experience but would like to learn perhaps on a smaller starter boat 30' or so here in CA and use it a bit on the weekends to get familiar with sailing. We want something big enough for four people while here in CA and nothing too fancy.

Would it be likely that with all expenses incurred from ownership (insurance parking maintenance etc. we could rent out the 30' or so starter boat and break even?

The typical boat in the area for rental seems to be sub 40 feet. There are very few that are over 50' and I don't know why.

Would a bigger boat be a good rental market as it seems there are not many in the area or is there a reason they are small here?

Does it make more sense to rent a boat for the times we would want to sail?

2. cptndon

cptndon Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2005
    Annapolis
    You have a PM

3. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    You're already on steps 5 and 6. For steps one and two I suggest starting with some local sailing classes and then after that charter a boat (with a captain) in the Caribbean for 10 days. You may both (or one of you) hate it. Very small cost at that point by comparison.

4. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    PM Responded to...Thanks

5. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    Well we have both been around Boats, and have both been to the Caribbean...but not the two together and never together so this is a good point. I do want to take lessons before too long, but did not think about renting a boat with a captain for the Caribbean for a few weeks.

Thanks for the suggestion....

6. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I like sailing, its kind of like fixing something on you're car or completing a job, its can be like racing a car on a track, it requires work and skill, its rewarding. I say do it if you like the sailing aspect. If its too save money on gas/diesel, then its not for you. With no wind, you are mostly on a gas or diesel engine, under engine sailboats are very slow. Most sailboats even in the 60ft. range are cramped for four people. A reason sailboats compared to power boats are cheap to buy, only people who enjoy sailing over creature comforts want them.

With moorage, sailboats needs deep draft marina's in most cases, therefore moorage maybe expensive because not all marinas can accommodate them.

Take some sailing lesson, even a smaller boat then you are looking for offers the same sailing mechanics. Figure out if you enjoy sailing. Then charter a larger boat and see if the family of four can live with the cramped confines of a sailboat. Most larger sailboat owners hire a crew to move the boat from say Los Angeles to the Caribbean. They know their families would kill each other on the week or two voyage to move it! Sailboats under way are not very comfortable, they tend to lean.

A powerboat has much better lay out, more room, more places to moor, can get places faster. They are more family friendly overall. Cost a little more to operate. Cost a little more to buy (they are more popular). But they offer a much better experience.

7. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
  8. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    I'm reminded of the old, worn-out but very true saying that the two happiest days in a boat owner's life are the day you buy it and the day you sell it.

9. fullmonty

fullmonty Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2007
    LALAland
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Maybe for some, but unfortunately for me, selling my Cal 2-27 made for a very sad day.

10. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    My parents have had several big boats, mostly power. They did bare boat charters with one because we didn't use it. A group took it for a week trip to Alaska from Vancouver. Came back a mess inside and out. Lots of dock rash. They'd vowed to never charter out a boat again. I don't know how companies can rent to inexperienced people like that.

11. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    I laughed my ass off. I see the problems. That boat looked kind of big.

12. Hugh Conway

Hugh Conway Karting

Jul 24, 2012
    50' of sailboat may not be a lot of living space but it can be a lot of boat to manage and starting the range where it may be too much for a couple to manage themselves (see above video with a 50' Beneteau running amuck). Costs on sailboats don't increase linearly - a 60' boat is generally much more than 2x the cost to operate of a 30' boat. Many people like a romantic idea of sailing; if that many people liked the reality of sailing sailboat sales wouldn't be in the toilet...

13. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    When I pull the plug on the Rat Race the plan is to get a 40' to 50' catamaran.
    I know of a killer deal on a 52' cat but its probably too big and too soon.
    IMO cats are better in almost all areas over a monohull.

Come on Rats just let me win a couple of more times !

14. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    We call that "full contact docking" it's best observed in Bimini when tools in their gofast boats bark orders to bikini clad bimbos trying to dock.

15. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    I love the Gunboat cats. The ideas of a spacious cruising cat that's that light, fast, and lifts a hull . . . it must be a thrill.

16. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    Any of the 20 plus lines used to control sails on my small 28 footer can take off a finger or worse if you have it in the wrong place at the wrong time. A 50 foot sailboat is not a starter boat for a couple who has not been sailing for quite some time. I know the romantic idea of it…. but that's not quite reality.

But it is one of the best things in the world. (Much better than driving Ferraris or riding Ducatis)

17. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
  18. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    #18 Statler, May 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    They're beautiful. I've not sailed but been on a few. I think my retirement boat would be a Chris white 57 though.

Have you seen what they've done with the g4?!!! (NOT a family boat).

I have to replace my impeller some evening after work this week. Always something.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    Nothing like being able to beach your boat . . .

20. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
  21. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Am considering a sailboat as well, but as a live-aboard too.

The idea of doing a prolonged circumnavigation has gotten hold of my head and it won't go away. To counter that, there's the budget, which is certainly not unlimited, I won't be sailing a Wally anytime soon :)

Realistically, I am looking at monohulls of 15+ years of age, and 45-50ft. These are not modern boats like new HR's in that size, which can be sailed single-handed, and they can be a real handfull, but if it is to become our home it needs some space and creature comforts.

What I am unclear of is hull material. I like aluminium, but there aren't that amny around, and proper repairs are expensive. It is light and strong though. Sloop or ketch?

So, with that out there, and having read the advice given in this thread, comments are very welcome.

Best,

Jack.

22. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    One factor in the sloop v ketch is the amount of crew and their experience.

While a sloop can save time in the ocean crossing context due to speed and ability to point, they can be a handful under bad weather or if a vital crew member isn't 100%.

23. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    That was my thought too. I like the looks of a ketch, the sails are easier to handle because they are smaller, and there are more sails to give more options. Downside is that you have quasi double the rigging too.

The speed difference is not that important to me, I am looking for stability rather than agility, comfort is important too.

Best,

Jack.

24. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    life begins at 50... 50 feet is where one starts to find room to have desirable creature features on board, there is a reason there are many boats seen in the 40 +/- range... the manufacturers are meeting the market's demand... it is a size that offers features beyond bare minimums of smaller sized boats... time on board requires space, it is the consumables etc that one needs to bring for the days when a quick run to resupply is not
    possible. There is a huge difference between an afternoon outing and an extended stay.

Learning to sail is easy, what gets everyone in trouble is the LACK OF EXPERIENCE. Starting with a dingy, one can experience the full range of "disasters" and fundamentals of sailing. Gaining experience takes time, the required skill set gets larger with the size of the boat and time spent away from the dock. Like learning to drive there is more to go / stop and turn.

Get proper instruction and offer to crew for others (as in racing ). Build experience on a variety of boats. Experience will guide one towards the proper boat selection for your sailing area. Charter crew / captains like to share their knowledge as a source of learning.

Chartering / renting a personal boat is a not no, BUT HECK NO!
    Rentals get used up quickly, rentals can be built to a high use standard, even then they are used up in 4 to 5 years, to a condition that one would not want to use and require an expensive refit...almost cheaper to buy new or personal owner resale.

25. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    They're a bi dated, but Dashew's classic books on his offshore experiences and designs may give you a glimpse into that life and, just as important, boat design.