Shipping a motorcycle | FerrariChat

Shipping a motorcycle

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by BoulderFCar, Jun 8, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I've shipped lots of cars but never a bike. Short distance, Kansas City to Denver. Any companies that you've used and can recommend? Thanks

2. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
  3. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    Uship.com is a possibility depending on your bike. If its a "get dirty" dual sport it could get lashed to the back of a semi. If its a show chopper you may want enclosed transport like Haulbikes. I've used both. I have also used Forwardair's container service when shipping my bike to San Diego from NY for my Baja sojurns.

4. wizzells

wizzells Karting

Jul 16, 2005
    Milwaukee, WI
    I've heard some horror stories about using Uship...your mileage may vary.

I've always had good luck and recommended Daily Direct - haulbikes.com
    They might be pricier, however, you don't need to drain the fuel, disconnect the battery, or have the bike put on a pallet or crated with them, so it's more convenient.
    They can do residential or at the dealership pickup/delivery, but I think they charge more for residential.

5. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    My father has used Uship a few times now. All have gone great except for the most recent where the gent hauling the bike left the kickstand down. As a result, the bike sustained damage. I guess what I'm saying is that it works just fine but be sure they have insurance and you are comfortable with the shipping/restraints used.

6. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I just checked haulbikes estimate. Good service but they are really expensive. For a 600 Mile trip they will be about $1.25/mile. I've been paying around $1/mile to ship cars with the best carriers. That includes a 15% fuel uplift. Diesel is pretty low.

I may get motivated and try to ride it back myself. I can get it in probably a quick 1.5 days.

7. Dave.0

Dave.0 Karting

Jan 3, 2015
    Sedona, Dallas
    Keyboard Motorcycle Shipping | Motorcycle Transportation
    Contact Us - Heritage Motorcycle Shipping and Transportation

These are the two that I have used. They both do a great job. Shipping between dallas and sedona was about 600 per bike. Bikes get there own pallet and are secured until unloaded. I used Uship to ship a scooter to my wifes uncle in florida. It worked out fine, but we got some random guy with a bunch of bikes stuffed into a relatively small trailer. I wouldn't ship a good or nice bike with Uship.

8. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    Keyboard blew out the seals on my KTM950 by ratcheting down the front forks too tight. Great at shipping pianos but watchout when they load your bike!

9. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    I have used motorcycleshippers twice without problems. You just have to be able to park a tractor-trailer at both pickup and dropoff.

But KC to Denver? Hop in the pickup and go get that thing!!! ;)

10. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    No kidding. That's what I need to do and I've got a truck.

FWIW, I always hear people talk about damage shipping vehicles. The brokers tell you they have a zillion dollars of coverage. Good luck collecting. I had a doofus drive my top loaded pick up under a tree damaging the roof, A pillar and smashing the windshield. I gave up on the claim and just paid for it myself.

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Sorry to hear this.

Keyboard brought my Ducati 996 a LONG way across the country, and it arrived in great condition.

That said, a Ducati dealer loaded it.
    Or, handled that end of the transaction.

Did you file a claim for your damages?
    What is the rest of the story??
    Any bike they load has a $20K umbrella....

12. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    I just took it to the KTM dealer and had the seals replaced. Never filed a claim. The driver was an idiot.

13. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I forgot to comment in here but I went and asked the local dealer near me who they use since they ship a lot of bikes around and they gave me the name of a good company to use.

14. Clembo

Clembo Formula Junior

Haul Bikes make cost a few more $$$, but they are very good, they deliver new Harley's to dealers and back haul private bikes to make a few more $. They do good work.

15. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    This is going to be interesting. I tried Key Board and Haul bikes. Haul Bikes was reasonable from a pricing standpoint at $499 but delivery was 4 weeks. Everyone else is a broker is a broker.

I ended up doing Uship which I've never used. $250 on an open trailer. A son and father with a dually and a couple of kinds of trailers. They pick up next monday and drop wednesday. I've always used high end enclosed for my cars. These guys seemed decent on the phone. We'll see how it works out.

16. TR86

TR86 Rookie

Jun 14, 2015
    I had most good experiences with U-ship.

17. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I guess in the spirit of you never know- I got quotes from $525-700 to ship the bike 600 miles from KC MO to Boulder. Lead times of 2-4 weeks.

I put it up on uShip which I've never used. I got a bid of $211. Huh? Some guys that are farmers with a dually picked the bike up the next day and delivered 14 hours after that. Easy peasy and 1/3 the price. hard to complain about that.

18. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I have used the Federal Companies (recommended by Harley) many times for shipping from NC to Rapid City, San Francisco and returns from Portland, OR and LA. In the past Allied Van Lines handled the load. Every time was perfect for me in terms of delivery date and condition (though bike naturally dusty at pickup).

19. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Depending on your proximity to serving airports, you may want to check Forward Air. I used them to ship a couple of bikes several years ago and they were by far the cheapest service. They give you an appropriately sized container to strap it in, then fly it to the destination terminal. It was a very easy process both times I used them.

20. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    I've used quite a few and find Federal Motorcycle Transport to be the best hands down, I've used them probably seven times. Matter of fact I'm expecting a shipment tomorrow or the next day.

They are a subsidiary of Allied Van Lines and put the bikes on special motorcycle pallets for transport. Efficient, on time with good communication and very reasonable.

Thumbs up!

Federal Motorcycle Transport | Motorcycle shipping.

21. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    #21 Todd308TR, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I used a broker to ship my bike from my friends house to be integrated into my house hold goods for shipment to Italy. The guy had a pickup on a car transporter, he strapped my bike into the pickup. That is a fine way to ship a bike, it was the trip to Italy that was problematic. Luckily I kept the track day tank skins on, and there was no serious damage.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login