Off shore fishing boats | FerrariChat

Off shore fishing boats

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by Juice It, Jun 12, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Anyone here into off shore fishing? Starting to look around at some boats and would love to here some thoughts from people with experience on what they like/ dislike, would do again or can't live without type of info. I would be using off the coast of md and am looking at boats in the 35-40ft range. Wanted to keep my range around 100k but it seems like the sweet spot for the nicer ones (relative to my range are more like 150k-200k.) Still not sure about a center console type vs wider cabin type. If I went the cabin route I would be looking at a much older boat in my range than a center console. Any thoughts besides boats are a waste of money?

2. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I had a Tiara 31 for a long time and loved it. Very seaworthy and capable....Tiara makes the best pop out boat, IMO. The only thing I'd change next time around would be to get a flybridge boat to get out of the hole. For 150K you could get a much bigger one for sure. You need to think about a lot of things like how far offshore, how much fresh water you'd need and whether or not you intend to stay overnight on her. That'll dictate the length of the boat you need.

3. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
  4. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    If you want to go faster maybe consider a Fountain 38 LX... Not as beamy as the Tiara but definitely sick. :)

2005 Fountain 38 LX - Boats.com

The last thing I'd suggest is to stay under 40' if you want to run her yourself. Any bigger and you'll always need another guy to help with mooring and stuff.

5. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Are you friends with John Lamour from here (D Cup)? Her lives near you and is really into fishing. :)

6. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    #6 GuyIncognito, Jun 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    #7 tritone, Jun 12, 2015
  8. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Wow,had to look up that nortech and that boat is awesome. Looks like it runs around 400k. Don't see any used ones listed with pricing, any idea what year this model came out? Going to check out some boats tomorrow, can't wait.

9. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Fwiw , I had a Wellcraft Scarab Sport 30 with 225 Mercs great boat for fishing or the family. When I sold it I didn't loose a fortune. Yellowfin seems to be the hot ticket in Florida but more expensive. Good luck with the hunt.

10. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    my father had an '03 Topaz 32 back from 03-06 and it was one hell of a battlewagon. You need to decide if you want to go fast and get a little beat up or move a little slower and be comfortable. Before the Topaz we had a 28 Pursuit and that was a great boat, but you got tossed around and you needed to be holding on. The Topaz, weighing in at 20K+ pounds, took everything like a champ. One day on a tuna trip to the Hudson Canyon(80-100 miles off the coast of Long Island) the seas kicked up and we had a ride back in 8-10 footers with the occasional 12'. Took it slow-ish, but a boat that size handling seas like that was impressive to say the least. I actually fell asleep on the trip back, it was that uneventful. There's a great forum called the Hull Truth with TONS of feedback on any boat your interested in

In the sportfisher 35' category I'd look at Topaz, Cabo, Carolina Classic and maybe Albermarle. If you're thinking about a Center Console take a look at Yellowfin, Regulator, SeaVee, and Contender.

And check out this thread on the Topaz. Post 8 goes into a lot of hull design which will help you to understand what you're looking at a little bit more as you work on making your decision.32 Topaz - The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

EDIT: Also, there seems to be way more value for your money in the diesel market right now. Boats that were $450k new are under $200k now. The center consoles seem to be hot right now(and because of that more expensive) with the cost of diesel so high.

11. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    What's more important to you? Time or comfort? Don't have a lot of time on the big sportfishers, but has quite a bit of time on center consoles.
    The sportfish is the battle wagon, it's slow out and back, but you'll stay dry, comfortable, have more room for friends. There will be more money in upkeep though, and you definitely want diesels. But you have the engines to keep up, generator systems, AC systems, etc.
    Center consoles, cuddly cabins are faster. The ride varies by boat, boat most are really good in most seas under 6-7'. 32-38' would be the sweet spot, 2-4 engines. You can get cuddy cabins, forward cabins, cabins under consoles with full front decks. There is a lot less to maintain, engines are cheaper to maintain, easier to replace. The boat can be pulled out of the water for storage or work easier.
    I'd look for a CC, 34-36 with trips. Regulator, Invincible, Yellowfin, Contender, SeaVee are some of the solid boats used down here a lot. Guys regularly run 60-100 miles out of both coasts to fish, run to the Bahamas.
    Find a layout you like, research your fuel needs to make sure you have the capacity, test some boats and go from there.

12. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I would definitely start with a center console. The maintenance is a fraction of the cost and about 1/5 the complexity. Rarely do the CC's run as strong as people say in big seas but they are great on <4' days. 4' means you've got a fair number of 6's rolling by.

A center console is fairly easy to get in and out of. A diesel sport fish is just a bigger commitment. I've got both. A 32' Boston Whaler with top notch electronics and a 56' Viking with everything on it. The big boat is fantastic but you have to stay on top of everything.

13. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    I would say a center consul too.

14. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    Do you fish regularly now?

If not, do several charters out of OC on different boats and see what you like being on (if not driving). That research will be fun for both seeing how much you like it and like the boat varieties. When spending a couple hundred grand it's worth some time.

If you do fish regularly now, what on and how do you like it?

The guy who did our pier owns a twin diesel boat out of ocean city for himself. The commercial crabber neighbor here just charters all the time when he goes deep sea fishing.

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #15 rob lay, Jan 18, 2016
  16. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    that's an awesome boat.

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    does anyone know in that 40-70 foot range if any boats better than Hatteras for Marlin? what is the Ferrari of Marlin boats?

if you guys want to see a decent show, watch the reality series where Chris Kaman of Trailblazers takes Marlin boat (I think Hatteras) from Southern California down to Central America fishing for Marlin all the way with friends. Show is called 'Exploring Kaman'.

18. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    by no means am I an expert but I like the Tiara 4800 Convertible, as mentioned above over a certain size (40-50 feet) it becomes hard to run a boat yourself. but Hatteras or Viking seem to be the Ferrari and Porsche of fishing boats.

I'm partial to the Into the Blue YT channel, it's more about fishing tactics and gear than boats though. https://www.youtube.com/user/IntotheBlueFishing

or if you want some hot ass with your fishing entertainment: https://www.youtube.com/user/DarcizzleOffshore

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    WFN has a show called Pacific Blues, not too bad. Good mix fishing, local flavor, and tips. I will check out the channels.

20. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #20 BoulderFCar, Jan 19, 2016
    I love the Tiara '48 and almost bought one. A guy I know that is a $B bought one and sold his 130' so he could get rid of the crew hassles and run it himself. A super nice practical boat. If there is such a thing.

There is no "the" boat in the range you guys are talking about. People have a religious fervor about it that eclipses the Ford vs. Chevy type car discussion.

I'm running a pretty good sized Viking. At about 90K lbs it's a big job running and keeping on top of it but we run it ourselves and are one of the few families we know that aren't using a captain or at least a mate. I looked at about 20 boats when I bought this one. All but 2 were using crew help a lot.

An oil change is $3000. 8 turbos, after coolers the size of a small dining table and so on. The maintenance needs to be well managed or it's very expensive if it goes bang. That said, we have a blast on it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    that's a beautiful boat :)

22. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Thanks. We're planning our Summer vacation trips now. I can't wait.

23. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    how far do you go with your boat? Keys? Bahamas? further?

24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    doesn't look like set up for fishing, just cruising?

25. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #25 BoulderFCar, Jan 20, 2016
    We'll go to the Exumas and Abacos (Bahamas). We'll come back from there and spend a month going up the East Coast- Savanah, Hilton Head, Charleston, and up to Cape Cod.

RL- Our boat is rigged for cruising. It turns out, about 25% of the sport fish boats aren't fished and 50% are fished very little. We bought this one for speed and ability to go in rougher seas. It's a PITA to get the family loaded up, get to a far away place and then leave to go fishing every morning. You have to get the boat ready, what if some people don't want to fish and so on.. What ends up happening is that there are always plenty of friends around us that are going fishing on a given day. For example, we're going on a trip with 4 families. There will be 2 big boats and two 30'ish center consoles. The smaller boats will be used for fishing, snorkeling and lot's of spearing. The bigger boats will be used more as mother ships although that's overstating it a bit. The logistics on these vacations can make your head hurt but I guess that's part of the fun.

The guys that are really into it, like the big Hat you posted, have crews that run them on a circuit. Right now, some friends are on a boat in Costa Rica, that boat will work it's way through the Virgin Islands, the Bahamas and be back in Ft Lauderdale in September. Then there's the tournament circuit which is an even higher level of insanity.

Having said all of that, the sides on the top roll up, the shade in back flips up and it has the freezer space as well as power pick ups for the deep drop rigs.

The water makes it worth it.