Missing Florida Teens | FerrariChat

Missing Florida Teens

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by Sushimon355, Jul 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sushimon355

Sushimon355 Formula Junior

May 27, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Wade
    I was a little surprised to not see any thread here about this incident. We're going on almost a week since these kids went missing...very sad situation.

As a guy who grew up on the water operating boats unsupervised at a similar age, this story really brings back memories from my own childhood. I have mixed emotions on whether these two should have been out there on their own. Hindsight says they clearly should not have been but interested to hear thoughts from others who grew up in a similar ocean/boating community where this type of thing is not so unusual.

My own experiences were fantastic but while I was a very responsible young adult, I still did some pretty stupid and careless things that could have turned out quite badly. A couple different variables and I might not be here writing this right now.

So again, interested to hear your thoughts?

2. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    #2 kylec, Aug 1, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
    Supposedly they were about 4 miles offshore. I'm not sure 2 14 year olds should be offshore. We'll never know exactly what happened- if the boat capsized before or after they ran into trouble.
    This is another reason to wear an auto inflating life jacket and a plb.

3. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Most likely scenario by those that have some insight- Best guess is that they were going dolphin fishing based on the gear they had. 4-8 miles off shore as you say. There was a very strong squall that day that went on for a long time. A couple of hrs. The boat is a sea craft which has a low transom. They leave with a fuel load that would make the boat a little lower in the water.

Older motor. They have an issue. Both of them are in the back with the cowl off which makes the boat even lower in the water. With no power you can't run it into the sea or diagonal to the sea. The boat is transom or beam to the wind with them in the back. It only takes 1 or 2 waves and the boat sinks. They separate from the boat or think they can swim to land. Again, at this point, they're not far off shore.

They found the boat exactly where it should have been given the scenario above.

Easy to look back and say they shouldn't have gone out or had more gear. That's pretty clear in retrospect. Probably very capable kids. Probably more capable than many of the adults I see boozed up with no experience. The ocean like many things has risk.

4. Sushimon355

Sushimon355 Formula Junior

May 27, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Wade
    Thanks Tom, seems like a very reasonable explanation...makes a lot of sense. poor kids - way too young.

5. dinogt4guy

dinogt4guy F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Hewitt, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Kurtis Fordice
    Very sorry for those kids and their families, but I did not know you could fish for Dolphin?

6. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #6 BoulderFCar, Aug 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dolphin (aka Mahi Mahi) the fish not the mammal like Flipper.

Yesterday I heard that a company went out to salvage the boat and couldn't find it. Lost in the Gulfstream..
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. dinogt4guy

dinogt4guy F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Hewitt, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Kurtis Fordice
    Oh, thanks! Obviously I'm no fisherman. :D

8. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    When I boat offshore or inland, I always have a dockline attached to a cleat. In the event the boat capsizes and stays upside down you can throw the line over the hull and pull yourself on top. It's little things like that, that will keep you alive. An autoinflating pfd is another. A waterproof plb is another. If they had done those three things, they'd be alive.

9. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    They were probably separated from the boat by a decision to swim. When the USCG found the boat after it had turned turtle there was an anchor hanging underneath it that had come out of the locker and was still attached. It's my understanding that there was also a stern line hanging underneath the boat. They probably just decided to swim if they were not that far offshore.

Agree on the PFD. I actually wear one when I'm out by myself. It's not a big deal. Still, my guess is that <10% of people do.