Honda Rune value? | FerrariChat

Honda Rune value?

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by godabitibi, Aug 1, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Hi guys, I,m not really a bike guy but a friend of mine is asking my help. He own a brand new (0 miles) Rune. The bike was bought from new as a collector piece and never seen the road or ever riden since new. Bike is perfect.

What can he ask for that bike.

2005, Burgundy. No options or any ad-ons.

2. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    This should be interesting lol.

3. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    What was original MSRP on one of those, $28k or so? Given that it is low miles I would start there. If it has been titled versus on original MSO, that might make a difference to a collector. not sure.

They seem to have been moving up in the last couple of years. They bottomed in the low teens around 2011. Neat bike.

4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Karting

Jan 3, 2015
    Sedona, Dallas
    #4 Dave.0, Aug 4, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
    I own a bunch of bikes, so I must be qualified to speculate on this. I always liked the rune, but it wasn't particularly well received and I doubt it has much collector potential, in addition to the fact that people that wanted one probably have one already. People that buy motorcycles are a generally different sort than people that buy ferraris. 20k seems to be a bit of a mental block for them. The way I see it, this bike would be purchased by someone who has intentions to use it, not collect it, and the fact that it has sat for many years isn't exactly a selling point.

Pure conjecture, I know, but I think if you could get 20k for this bike you would be doing well. They are cool bikes, but you could pick up a new moto guzzi, MV augusta, ducati or the recently re-released Norton for that kind of money.

5. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    That's a tough one. You so rarely see them on the road. How did they sell when they were brand new? I would guess that they did not sell every one that they made, unless they were limited runs......?

6. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    A good place to call is WOW motorcycles in Georgia. They have sold several over the years, more than anyone else I can recall. Who knows, they may want to buy it from him.

7. adc

adc Karting

Feb 1, 2009
    Honda still had some in the crate at their warehouse a few years ago. A dealer called me and asked if I wanted it for 16k.

8. Falcon Wing

Falcon Wing Formula 3

Aug 4, 2010
    Colorado Springs
    #8 Falcon Wing, Aug 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have owned a Rune since 09, and good, low mileage seem to have the potential to go for up to $21k. The "still in the crate" ones were sold out around 08 or 09. I just missed those when I was buying. I have heard of a few "0" mile that a few dealers and collectors are holding in personal collections.

That being said, the fact yours is "0" mile, who knows? I would recommend putting it on eBay with a rather high reserve and see what happens. I have read of some being bought off eBay and sent overseas. I am also aware of someone that imported quite a few to China a few years ago for $30k - $40k each as I recall, with the bloodstone red being the highest in demand.

I would suggest joining this forum: Honda Rune Riders The person that imported them may be able to help if he is still on there.

I was able to contact someone that worked at Honda in Japan (friend of a friend sort of thing) and was told that there were 1,508 total units made between 04 and 05, with less and 100 of those being 05's. So, as production bikes go, a Rune is pretty rare, and an 05 even more so...

Keep us informed, I am interested to hear what happens.

(mine)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    I have a vehement apathy for cruisers but the Rune is utterly beautiful and I would love to have one. Periodically Honda produces an oddball bike (think DN-01), most you wonder what they were smoking but the Rune will continue to be desirable for decades.

Small point but I have to wonder if being single seat only hurt its appeal somewhat. Hard to justify to the wife a cruiser that only you can ride alone.

10. NORTY

NORTY Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2008
    CARLSBAD, CA, USA,
    Full Name:
    NORTY
    $3400, and that's if it runs well.

11. TR86

TR86 Rookie

Jun 14, 2015
    Ask George Clooney

12. Kingvogue

Kingvogue Karting

May 9, 2014
    St. Louis, Mo
    Full Name:
    Howard
    My two cents. I purchased mine brand new out of the crate, it was a left over at the factory that was referred to by adc. While I don't get to ride it as much as I would like to (to many toys) I can tell you that it's a blast to ride and you can't take it anywhere without being bombarded with questions and lookers, if you don't feel comfortable answering a lot of questions, stay away from a rune. I've owned a lot of bikes and I can tell you that this thing is truly incredible, very fast and great looking, and an engineering wonder to say the least. I believe an average Rune with under 10k miles will still fetch about $15,000 to $17,000 if maintained properly.

13. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Scrap prices for steel are about $145 per ton right now. That lump should bring a pretty penny! ;) I keeed, I keeeed!

14. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I don't know about that scrap steel value. Just scrapped a BMW 320i sans drivetrain and interior---total was 1000 lbs even. Got $15.50 for it. Sheesh.

I'm not going to comment on that uhh...thing up there in the thread. haha..