Stick loyalists... How many ride bikes. | FerrariChat

Stick loyalists... How many ride bikes.

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by Statler, Oct 20, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    Lots ad the repeat discussions recently about Ferrari ignoring the stick enthusiasts. Certainly a few manufacturers still make them, but how many of you guys overlap into bikes? Miss time a blipped downshift and you can lock up the back end. All the "skill and mechanical interaction" is magnified. Lift the rear with two fingers on the brake? Absolutely!

When you think you're badass on a bike dragging your knee in a long corner at the track, someone goes around on the outside with hand instructions for you to follow and learn.

Auto bikes are coming too.

I know we have some former racers here. How many of the "stick or you're not really driving" crowd ride too?

2. Gle8

Gle8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Count me in. I think there is a great deal of overlap. As a manual transmission guy, I'm sure that a lot of the desire to continue to row my own comes from motorcycles.

I'll ride an auto scooter for groceries and such*, but I wouldn't want an auto motorcycle.

*A sick CVT scoot, but an auto nonetheless.

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Sure!

I have a boat, too.....THAT drives more like an automatic...LOL!

4. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I got my driver's license in a manual, never drove an automatic until my (now sold) Lexus GS400, which I purchased in 2006. My current DD is also an automatic (Kia Rio).

I've ridden motorcycles since I'm about 8, and I've ridden ON them since I'm 3-4 years old - my dad would put me on the gas tank of his 1967 Honda CL/77 Scrambler and drive around the neighborhood (I still own that bike today). Owned dirt bikes and numerous Harleys, along with a few Japanese standards.

I stopped riding when my youngest daughter was born. She was about 6 months old, and I had purchased a sweet Sportster from my brother. This was modified just how I like them - low, with slightly extended swingarm - drag bars, etc. I did some tuning to the engine (mainly some carb mods) and this particular example was really peppy. I loved the bike and it looked mean.

I was riding around my town, which is VERY rural - many farms and stables dot the landscape. I came up around a blind turn going uphill - an area where deer are always present, even in daylight. At that moment, I had the feeling that if a deer came running out, I'm dead. I couldn't bear to leave my newborn or my older daughter without a father.

I hung up the keys, sold the Harley and bought a Jag E-Type. I've ridden the '67 Scrambler up and down the street, but no other riding since then (11 years ago). At some point, I'll pick up a Ducati 916 / 996 / 998, but otherwise, I'm not really missing it.

5. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I have two bikes because wife said I couldnt have one. Been riding since age 7

Honda was not too sucessful with its DCt VFR. Possibly the viceral nature of bikes and what attracts people to these elemental machines means AT has little appreciation amongst riders, might as well be in a steel cage then..

6. GWat

GWat Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    USA
    Rider/ex-racer: I've owned several street/track bikes and dirt/supermoto as well. Old school throttle blip without lock up is also becoming history with slipper.clutches and ever expanding electronics. I rode a S1000XR a few weeks back that allowed for full throttle up shift and clutchless downshifting with auto blip. Talent may soon be obsolete on many levels.

7. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Me too! Although, I just sold my bike. :(

Do I earn bonus points for flying planes as well?

Mark

8. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    yes, but you lose them for being a complete tiny-armed fan boy.

;)

9. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    :)

10. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I used to ride, but at my age healing is just too slow!

11. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #11 Kevin Rev'n, Oct 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    #12 Statler, Oct 20, 2015
  13. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    pffftt, anything else... would be uncivilized! LOL

14. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    I ride. Used to own a Triumph Daytona. However I don't think shifting gears in a motorcycle gives me the same enjoyment as rowing gears in a car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    That's a great discussion... Perhaps another thread?

For me, a perfect heel/toe downshift braking into a corner gives me the same feeling as a perfectly blipped downshift on the bike before dropping a knee on the track.
    Perhaps oddly, I get the exact same feeling getting the sailboat in a perfect groove (surfing down a wave or perfect vmg upwind).

I can see the bigger mass being a bigger gratification. Is that what you think makes the difference?

16. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    I don't have a MT Ferrari - not opposed, it just wasn't what I found when I was ready to buy. I met my husband racing motocross 20 years ago and we still ride. And I'm old school. I have a 250 two-stroke. I love clutch riding.

17. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    After I finish crying, I am going back to the gym do some more curls. :(

Mark

18. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #18 boxerman, Oct 20, 2015
    I get the sailboat thing too, more so as I age and appreciate things differently.
    Learned to fly in a 1943 cub off a grass strip, tried in cessnas before, it was just to unengaing to my add mind.

Lotus elise is as close as a street car comes to havign the reflexes of a bike.

In terms of shifting and raw viceral appeal, not to mention bike like accleration the Gt40 takes the cake.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    all the street bikes I owned had hand shifters and foot clutches (yes I'm that old)
    as far as cars, my rx7 with the wankle was quite responsive

20. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    I ride a yamaha r1 and have a manual 360. Love them both and coincidentally ive taken both to their max top speed. I have zero interest in an automatic motorcycle. I love matching revs and shifting the gears with my left foot.

21. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Everything I ever owned was manual shift. ( except wife's cars) seldom drive hers. My hot rod,5speed,TR 5speed, DD Acura,5speed and 1969 Triumph Bonni. 4 speed. 69 BSA lightning. I don't ride the bikes much at all anymore! When I was younger you couldn't keep me off M/C. Speaking of old school, Triumph M/C. Has kick start, no neutral light. You have to find neutral on your own to kick start it. You can only start it with clutch lever out and in neutral. The young millennials can't figure how to ride it. Clutch out, neutral, tickle carbs (prime) It is a one kick start if done correct.

22. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    I think with bikes you are already seeing a shift toward perception of machines that lack electronics. Strictly talking (liter) superbikes, if you don't have ABS, auto-blipper downshift, traction control, electronic semi-active suspension, quickshifter, ride by wire...the bike is seen as behind the times.

Three bikes exist in the class that do not have most of these features: the KTM RC8R, Honda's ancient CBR1000RR, and Suzuki's GSXR1000. The CBR does have ABS, and Suzuki has ABS and TC. They are the last "analog" bikes for now. KTM has already said they are discontinuing and not replacing the RC8R, Suzuki and Honda will have brand new bikes by 2017 at the latest that will inevitably feature a full compliment of electronic aids.

I could easily see the upcoming generation of riders looking upon non-ABS, non-TC, non-whatever bikes made before 2009 like we might look at drum brakes or points today. Possibly interesting bikes that they wouldn't want to own or ride. Killer bikes that require too much skill to master. Much easier to just flip the TC to 10 and go full throttle out of the corner and let electrons decide how much throttle to apply. Same with ABS.

As for full automatic bikes I actually doubt it will happen, Honda or Yamaha oddities aside. Operating a bike already requires much more skill that pottering around in a car, I don't see sportbikes being designed to the lowest common buyer's demands. If anything, sportbikes are getting more hardcore than universally easy to live with. Part of the appeal IMO of paddles or automatics is that it can be a pain to operate a manual on the phone in flip-flops drinking a Starbucks, but on bikes you have already eliminated much of that distraction.

23. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I was not aware of auto rev matching on downshifts on a motorcycle! Is this true? ABS is OK for street riding, I accept that as a nice to have (for most people). All the rest is for touring IMO.

24. tikitiki

tikitiki Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2014
    Windermere, Fl
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I use to race a 750 GSXR. In AMA and WERA. Not anymore. Been there don't that. Still ride MX with my boys. They are all different. Nothing like hitting the trails or a track on a dirt bike. It's a nice raw feel to riding/ driving. Plus a great workout.

25. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Ducati, Yamaha, and BMW have it now IIRC. Aprilia has been criticized as falling behind because they do not.