The Ferrari of bikes ... IS.....(drumroll) | FerrariChat

The Ferrari of bikes ... IS.....(drumroll)

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by FLORIDAsnakeEyes, Nov 24, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

FLORIDAsnakeEyes Formula 3

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
    #1 FLORIDAsnakeEyes, Nov 24, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
    MV AGUSTA. Of course!

Ferrari developed the engine for the F4, hence the "F" in the F4 and as well as the 1098 engine.

I own one of these VERY rare 312RR's (only a handful of these in the U.S. in the 1100cc model).

Many people refer to the Ducati as the Ferrari of bikes, this could not be any more untrue. They make fine bikes, but have nothing to do with Ferrari.

The last hand made bike by MV Agusta is the 2009 312RR.

Ferrari never did have a bike, despite the Arlen Ness one in 95' that was never sanctioned by F.

2. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I visited the MV Agusta factory in 2014. Amazing place right on the lake near Milan. Their factory uses old hangars from seaplane manufacturing prior to WW2.

If you can go visit their factory - along with Ducati in Bologna - and all the other highlights in the Motor Valley.

You will need to email ahead of time. My son and I were the only two in the small factory besides the 30 or so workers that day... Great stuff.

At the end of the tour, we walked into one hangar that held all of their newly manufactured bikes ready to be packaged up for shipping round the world. They had a few very special bikes painted up that have never been shown anywhere. Very special to see. I love Ducati but have a deep respect for MV as well.

Robb

3. The Kook Abides

The Kook Abides F1 Rookie

Jan 4, 2011
    Motorcycles are like women. Not worth much at the end of the day.

The end is near. Collect cash.

4. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
    Robb, very cool. I will have to see it when we go next summer!

Kook: I am not sure I follow you at all. Collecting cash is useless if the end were near. I am in the US Army/Intel side, if indeed the end is nigh, I will let you know. As far as THEE woman, she is priceless, and I am a lucky man. :) Bikes: are amazing, and should never be substituted with 4 wheels.

5. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    A 312 is a stunner. Nice piece. Although, I've always considered MV to be the Lamborghini of bikes. And I endorse the Ducati/Ferrari comparo.

D/F have serious motorsports campaigns. MV/Lambo, umm, no, not so much.

Finding a Ducati or F-car dealer is about as hard as finding a Starbucks. Lambo dealers are much fewer and far between. MV dealers? Yah right!

Still kicking myself for selling my F4 Oro a couple years ago grrrr....

Going for the Gold: 2000 MV Agusta F4 750 Serie Oro | Rare SportBikes For Sale

6. Skyler

Skyler Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Skyler

4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul :)

7. DocRogers

DocRogers Karting

Oct 11, 2015
    Maine
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    You guys are close. Don't get me wrong, I love Ducatis and MVs, but to me the 2-wheeled equivalent of a Ferrari is . . .

Image Unavailable, Please Login

A Colnago! Shown here with the Old Man himself, Ernesto Colnago.

Cheers,
    Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    uh......no

9. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    how true :)
    that f4 is sweet

10. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Funny - That's same category of "bike" that came to mind for me, too. Colnago was one of the few possibilities I expected inside the thread.

Interesting about the Ferrari connection to MV Augusta. I sort-of expected Aprilia to be mentioned almost immediately.

11. DocRogers

DocRogers Karting

Oct 11, 2015
    Maine
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    #11 DocRogers, Nov 27, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2015

Found a couple more pics. I've also always compared Pinarellos to Lambos and Bianchis to Alfas (it's the history), but that's just me.

On motos, though, I miss my Ducati. I think it's high time I got another one, but I've got to move a few other motorcycles out first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
    I love road bikes (bicycles) my uncle used to race professionally and did the Tour De France in early 90's.

He has the largest collection of pre-WWii Colson bikes in the world. In the millions.
    He is sadly very blind now and enjoys a bit of coffee and cake, tells us great stories.

Anyway. Cheers all

13. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    I'll agree that Colnago is comparable. Nobody puts their logo on the frame as often as Colngao can. Where would Cinelli fit? For motorcycles I always viewed Bimota as the Ferrari equal. Ducati (and I have 2!) is more of a Maserati equivalent...
    Congrats on the 456M. I was very close to getting one a few years ago but decided I wanted something I could work on with my limited collection of pliers, hammers and rocks so I bought a 400.

14. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    well there is one connection between Ferrari and Ducati ;)

Ducati Ducati and the prancing horse

15. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Sorry but Bianchi's equivalent in motors would be https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autobianchi ;)

16. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    #16 Igor Ound, Nov 27, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
    Cinelli would be abarth, mainly track machines ;)

And the Laser equivalent could be the 1500 biposto. Even same colour.

17. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
  18. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    #18 4rePhill, Nov 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Sorry but you've completely misunderstood the meaning of Ducati being the Ferrari of bikes!

It has nothing to do with Ferrari helping design engines or anything else for any motorbike manufacturer! - It's about the companies passion for the product they make, the flair of their design and their racing pedigree.

Despite the Ferrari engineering link, MV Augusta is more like the motorbike equivalent of Pagani, because they make a far more bespoke vehicle than Ferrari do.

And to say they have nothing to do with Ferrari is not strictly true: Campiglio Wroom official web site, Madonna di Campiglio Ferrari & Ducati Press Ski Meeting

(I don't seem to remember Ferrari doing any pre-season events with MV Augusta!).

And the Ferrari links go even further: Ducati Ducati and the prancing horse

Even Ducati themselves have noted the similarities between the two companies (which had to be with the blessing of Ferrari for legal reasons).

19. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    When this pic was taken massa couldn't even find Alonso because he was so far ahead (in their day jobs). This year...I don't think Fred finished ahead of massa once! Wow things changed quickly-I blame these bikes

Heck, I'll be on one of these bikes once my knees finally can't take the running any longer. Until then-these bikes look slick but I know what they cost and I'm way too cheap to jump in yet!

20. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    I just bought one of these and love it

21. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Colnago bicycle?
    Sorry people, too old to pedal to give my ass a ride!

22. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    You know how you can go to Bike Week and see just about anything? I wonder if there exists a motorcycle that is built w/ a Ferrari V12...

23. vee12

vee12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2008
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Les
    #23 vee12, Nov 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. Pesto

Pesto Karting

Sep 22, 2004
    PalmBeachGardens,FL
    Full Name:
    Douglas A. Benson
    What is your uncles' name?.. I was a big tour fan back then.

25. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    I would have agreed the argument of MV being comparable to Ferrari was valid...until Harley-Davidson bought MV. Then it went back into Italian hands in 2009, so you could say it came back.

But today Mercedes owns 25% of MV IIRC, and has expressed interest in buying a larger stake.

Ducati is owned by VAG, decide for yourself of 100% ownership by a German company allows it to be compared to Ferrari.

There is one motorcycle company though that produces world-beating sportbikes and has a tradition of winning in GP and World Superbike. Seven World Superbike championships in the past six years (3 riders, 4 constructors), and dozens of GP championships in the smaller classes. Also owned by an Italian motorcycle/scooter comglomerate that also owns Moto Guzzi, which could be considered the Maserati of motorcycles.

Aprilia.