What Would You Buy?? | FerrariChat

What Would You Buy??

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by lashss, Feb 1, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    Thinking about getting into bikes a bit more now that the vintage cars are so expensive.

I've also regretted not buying some relatively special vehicles when they were new (and cheap).

Is there a motorcycle out there that is really special and worth considering as a new purchase? Something handmade, rare, technically advanced and "special"?

It has to be stunningly beautiful so BMWs and most Japanese bikes will not do.

I'd like to consider something Italian unless there is something else bespoke or unusual out there and worth considering.

MV Agusta Dragster RR
    Benelli
    Moto Guzzi

Thanks,
    LSJ

2. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
  3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    OP wants something "Something handmade, rare, technically advanced and "special"?". those fit the bill. (technically advanced maybe not ;))

4. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Harley Night Rod. But seriously though they are rare, very bad ass to look at, and they run pretty well too. I have owned most bike makes and the Night Rod's still to this day attracted the most attention out of all of my bikes.

5. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Motus

6. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    I'm assuming that never operated, never ridden, 0 mile/kilometer machines from the past do not count as "new" in your world.

In which case the answer is no.

7. Greg-NWO

Greg-NWO Rookie

Jun 5, 2012
    A nice minty Desmosedici RR? You won't be able to buy one new of course but they are collectible already and a beautiful piece of machinery.

8. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    #9 tundraphile, Feb 2, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
    If your goal is to not lose money, forget new anything. All will suffer depreciation.

Not to disparage any of the brands you listed, but none of them fit all of your criteria. Guzzi is not technologically advanced, same with Benelli. MV comes the closest of the three.

Benellis haven't been sold in the US for several years, but will be coming back later this year with a new US distributor. Likely though it will be the smaller Chinese bikes rather than the larger triples made in Italy and still sold in some markets.

So, if you want new Italian and don't mind losing money in precipitous depreciation there are a few models that are pretty cool.
    Ducati XDiavel S (will be arriving shortly)
    Bimota...well...any model
    Aprilia RSV4R-FW. Basically Aprilia will build you anything up to their full 230 hp World Superbike spec machine, just bring money. Ducati doesn't do this unless you have a race team, then the RS model is a step behind what they have for the factory machines.
    Honda RC213V-S. Look it up is you don't know what this is, the most exotic machine sold today by a mile (only the H2R below is comparable)
    edit Kawasaki H2R: forgot about this one because I'm not in the market for a track-only supercharged 300hp machine sold without warranty that can do over 200 mph (stock) and whose carbon fiber winglets cost almost $3000 each to replace. Don't knock it over!

If you want used or classic you shouldn't lose much money on, there are literally hundreds of choices to fit any budget or age, and not nearly all are Italian.
    Under $20k
    Ducati 1098R
    Ducati MH900e
    Ducati 916
    Ducati 900 Superlight
    Moto Guzzi LeMans I or II
    Laverda Jota
    Benelli 900 sei
    Bimota YB11/SB6/SB6R
    MV F4 Tamburini/Oro/Mamba
    BSA Gold Star
    Suzuki RG500 Gamma

$20k-$50k
    Ducati 900SS (bevel)
    Ducati Desmosedici RR
    Bimota Tesi
    Honda RC30
    Honda RC45
    Yamaha R7
    MV F4 Claudio Castiglioni

$50k+
    Honda NR750
    Vincent Black Shadow
    Brough Superior SS100
    Ducati 750SS (round case bevel)
    Harley-Davidson VR1000

And finally if you want old bikes and don't care if you lose money, just copy what I do and buy what you like (often oddball machines) then realize when it comes time to sell that no one else wants it ;)

9. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  10. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    If you can believe this, the version sold in the US, to meet sound and exhaust emission rules, only makes 101 hp. The stock ECU's redline is ridiculously low, but it is legal.

They then sell a full power kit that includes some CF doodads, exhaust, and ECU for $14k or something that takes it up to the full 212 hp and a redline around 14,000.

Here's the thing, Honda has said they won't sell the kit to customers in the US. Countries like Germany or the UK they will.

I suspect many of the RC213V-S will be sold in the US, and I also suspect in roughly 100% of those cases there will be an airline passenger returning from Europe with an exhaust system in his checked baggage...

11. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    ;)

12. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  13. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    Do you ride now? Will you be riding this bike?

Have someone build you something. Radical ducati make some nice bikes.

14. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    FYI Radical has been out of business for two years.

15. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    oops.
    shows the last time I looked in to that. :)
    I knew they never quite got a foothold in the US. Didn't know they were gone. Too bad.

16. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Sorry, didn't mean to come across as a smartalek. Was in a conference call and distracted.

Pierobon is a company that is around and makes some very tasty custom Ducatis. Their frames are awesome. They even have a tube frame that replaces the Panigale's aluminum airbox/frame.

HOME

They are like Spondon or Harris of old crossed with a little NCR.

17. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    Oh, you didn't come across like that at all!

Speaking of NCR… that would be on my short list.

18. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller

Vintage bikes or modern?

Like yourself vintage cars have moved out of my collection range, I have all the cars I want except a countach which is priced out of my range,

So

I have been buying vintage italian motorcycles and have been having a blast, they are cheap, easy to work on and modify and beautiful to look at.

19. FerrariF50lover

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    I bought a 1978 CX500 for that exact reason. For under 1k I can literally have a bike I can ride anywhere and not care about and something that still has style and flare. Now my new BMW S1000 on the other hand that was a little bit more.

20. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
  21. FerrariF50lover

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    KTM Superduke 1290.

22. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Ducati 916 / 996 / 998. Followed by 888 SPO.

23. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    I was expecting one or two replies but not this much discussion on a car forum.

My thoughts are that I feel like I missed the opportunity to buy something that would become an instant classic over the years. I have been riding since I was younger on the dirt and have had a couple of street bikes over the past 20 yrs.

I did just get one of my childhood dream bikes - Gen 1 Yamaha Vmax. It is nice to be able to scare the *&(() out of myself at any moment. I love it.

I had a terrific Duc 900 SP for ten years which I liked and would like something interesting and unique to fill that Italian bike void.

I'm not crazy about any of the HD based products but the Guzzi based custom looks interesting.

Also, did Duc basically copy MV with their DraXster?

BTW-I like the under $20k used bike list. There are lots on there that would make me happy with some tweaks.

Benelli Sei
    Duc 750F1
    Moto Guzzi Daytona
    Bimota DB1

I have a psychological block with spending too much over $20k for a bike though especially when there are so many great ones for less.

Thanks,
    LSJ