Wanted to love it but | FerrariChat

Wanted to love it but

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by FerrariF50lover, Feb 15, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Some background on me. I am a 26 year old motorcycle enthusiast and have owned 2x Hayabusa, 3x GSXR1000, Nightrod, S1000, 2xR1, Xb12, ZX6, GSXR750. My family has a dealer licenses so I usually do pretty well at riding bikes for half the summer and flipping them. My most recent street bike is the BMW S1000RR and I really enjoyed it. When it came time to move on I started researching the 1199, I feel that and the RSV4 are the most comparable bikes to the BMW, my brother has a RSV4 so I went for the Ducati. My buddy told me I could borrow his Pani for as long as I wanted it. I must admit the Ducati is easily one of the best looking bikes ever made, it just oozes style and sex appeal. So I grab the bike and start riding it, the blinkers didn't work which I found odd for a bike with 300 miles on it. Things I noticed right away, dam that seat is HARD and the stock exhaust is loud and I can feel air move from both sides is the exhaust loose fitting. The traction control system on the bmw is a stand alone control vs the Ducati is integrated with the turn signals. Since the turn signals weren't working out of habit I still turned them on only to switch the modes on the traction control system which was annoying.

So onto my actual riding impressions. The bike is fast there is zero downplay there, the torque is addicting. The bike does sound BAD ASS at idle and any amount of throttle input. The exhaust is HOT, I never liked roasted nuts and I certainly don't now. The ergonomics of the bike make me feel like a fat over weight man with back problems, I'm 5 foot 10 with 8 percent body fat. The bike feels very confident at speed but awful at slow speeds.

How does it compare to my S1000. The BMW is faster, smoother, and by far more comfortable. In the looks department the Ducati wins hands down its a super model. I was not impressed by the bike having less then 400 miles and already having electrical issues. The traction control system on the bmw is easier to use I can't say which is better. Brakes are both out standing the Ducati is a nudge better. The BMW is by far smoother, Ducati should advertise their bike as a Vibrator for woman I am sure it will increase sales numbers.

So what one is the better street bike and what will I buy next? The Ducati might be better on the track but on the street its cramped, hot, and a vibration machine. With the options and price tag on a 15 BMW its hard to beat by any machine. I guess thats why it wins so many shootouts. I think they compliment each other very well and I would love to own both but with just building a house and a far more expensive hobby, my girlfriend I will stick with the 15.

2. enzo thecat

enzo thecat F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Enzo Thecat
    OMG it is so gorgeous tho.

3. Dave.0

Dave.0 Karting

Jan 3, 2015
    Sedona, Dallas
    The panigale is a great looking bike, but the 1199 variant I rode was not a very good street bike and a handful on the track, although that is its natural environment. I only rode the s100rr at superbike school, but that is two days and a lot of track time. Its hard to fault that bike- its bonkers fast and just seems to work. It is ugly though. And the inline 4 I think would make a sort of boring street bike motor. My other street bikes are a 1200 ducati multistrada and a KTM RC8R, which have more "character". I think the sweet spot may be the new ducati panigale 959, which I haven't riddent, but is apparently a much better street bike without giving up much on the track and for less money. If I was going to pick up an inline 4, I would go for the new R1M. That is really the cream of the crop currently in inline 4 sport bikes. Of course, the aprilia you mention is also pretty sweet, and that V4 engine note is intoxicating. Lots of choices.

4. FerrariF50lover

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    I haven't spent any time on the 1299 but the review I saw said it is painful to ride on the street which is my exact feeling on the 1199 Panigale. I love the KTM just lacks some of the neat electronics and big horsepower I like. The Aprilla is probably the best bike you can buy if you want Italian styling, great motor, and good street manners. The issue I have with the 959 is you can buy an Aprilla RSV4, S1000, R1 for the same money. Heck you might even be able to find a left over R1M for that much.

5. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Take this for what it's worth, but many magazine testers have adopted the position that for the street the 899/959 is a better choice than the 1199/1299. The power is accessible and easier to get on the throttle smoothly than the big bike. The smaller Panigale also has a full compliment of electronics. More narrow back tire gives it slightly lighter handling as well.

BTW, no way anyone is getting an R1M for $15k, but you might find a leftover R1 for that much, hopefully the gearbox has been replaced. For the US this year Yamaha has cooked up the R1-S which gets rid of some of the higher-spec engine components (like Ti conrods) and makes less power due to lower redline. It will sell for $15k.
    2016 Yamaha YZF-R1S Sportbike FIRST LOOK Motorcycle Review | Cycle World: New Street version of the R1 aims at younger riders with a bit less $$.

I personally don't see how they will sell many of them TBH, if you are dropping that much on a bike you will want at least the base model features from the previous year when the bike made its debut.

6. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    You started a thread a couple years ago pondering the attraction to Ducati by some peeps. This current thread seems to be following the same path thus far.

Two years ago you pointed out that you bought repoed bikes to make dough. The more bikes you had the more dough you made you said. In this thread you tell us your family is in the 'biz and you make $$$ when you "flip" them after riding them for a summer.

Although in this thread we are privy to your height and body fat percentage. Didn't get that 2 years ago.

In this thread you seem to be warming up slightly to the Ducati brand after giving a 'gale "a go" as it were. But still not desirable enough to dethrone the mighty 2015 S1000RR machine from Bavaria.

Is there a dearth of repoed Panigale's for you to buy in your area? Is that the real message here?

Deja Vu:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/motorcycles-boats/439930-help-me-understand.html

7. FerrariF50lover

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    I buy 3 repossed bikes a year. After riding the 1098 I thought I would give the panigale a shot and see if I liked it better. I thought about bumping a thread from 2 years ago but figured I would just start fresh.Thanks for caring.

8. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    Why only 3? The more you have the more you make. I read that somewhere.

9. FerrariF50lover

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    #9 FerrariF50lover, Feb 16, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
    I am more then willing to validate whatever you believe is untrue. Let me know.

Thanks,
    NK

10. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    Oh I don't doubt your claims NK. Rather, I'm amazed you admit to as such with such glee on a public forum.

If you feel the need to further document the method and frequency with which you flip repoed bikes for profit publically, I, for one, am not standing in your way.