New (to me) Ducati week | FerrariChat

New (to me) Ducati week

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by ndpendant, May 9, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ndpendant

ndpendant Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2010
    Chicago- west burbs
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #1 ndpendant, May 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Im picking up a Ducati 1100S Multistrada. 7K miles, ducati maintained and had its 7500mi service just done so its fresh. Im taller (6'2) and the superbikes and monsters don't fit me well. (I tried a 900SS and I looked like a monkey humping a football). Im pretty excited at the deal, and would like to hear from other MS riders what are the must have mods you done. Ive been reading the multistrada and ducati.ms forums and get lost in all the opinions. Thanks! Photo attached.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    I have read that the seat is not very comfortable, but there are aftermarket alternatives like Corbin or Sargent. Neighbor of mine used to have one just like your picture and rode it all the time.

I personally like this version better than the new water-cooled ones, they seem like a response to the BMW GS and KTM adventure bikes, while the original air-cooled Multistrada is more like the Cagiva Gran Canyon. Just a practical scooter for almost all uses.

To each his own but if I bought what you have, avoid the temptation to put exhaust on it. I have an 851 that will set off car alarms and you can hear it for miles, literally. Sounds great when in the mood for it, not so great coming home at midnight.

3. ndpendant

ndpendant Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2010
    Chicago- west burbs
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Other than creature comforts initially, (a seat is at the top of this list) Im going to ride it this year and save the winter for any mods. Thinking about a power commander or FatDuc to handle better fuel/O2 mapping which from what I read makes the bike much more rideable under 3500rpm. Already has 42T rear sprocket and tender. Exhaust is an option if I feel the need after getting to ride and learn this bike and performance.
    May add some additional front and rear lighting to make sure Im visible on an all black bike at night.
    thanks!
    Nd

4. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    #4 kiesan, May 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Great choice! The 1st gen 04-09 'multi 1000/1100 is one of the best all around street bikes ever made imo. That is a very nice looking 1100 "S" wet clutch or "1.1" version.

I'm slightly more partial to the "1.0" 1000cc dry clutch variant. It seems to have just a little more edge to it. But really I'm just splitting hairs.

Its always encouraging to see them bonestock with the reflectors and everything still on there. No one was messing about!

Great 2-up bike. If you still have the wheelie bug (who me?) get ready to laugh inside your helmet for hours.

As tundra states, these are a far better real world bike than the 2010 and newer 1200cc electro-keyless-wonder machine. Those are far too BMW GS-ish in the "more is more better" way of thinking. Owning one of those after they have some miles and a few years under their belt is a fate I don't aspire to.

The stock seat got better in '05. I find it works just fine. Those fancy Ohlins forks are a magic carpet ride however they eat fork seals for breakfast. Get used to that. They seem to go longer between leaking with regular use and by keeping the fork legs clean.

Yes a full exhaust with tuning will really wake it up and shed a crap-ton of weight. No negative other than increased noise and a lighter wallet.

When you have the valve clearance checked again at 15k miles make sure the tech knows what he is doing and checks for excessive valve stem wear. Alternatively if you begin to notice untoward oil consumption before then the guides are prolly the culprit.

From the pic the fuel tank does not seem swollen. Big issue! Maybe its already been replaced and internally coated.

An 08-12 Hypermotard 1100 is essentially an 04-09 Multistrada 1000/1100 in a different suit. My current hooligan machine!

5. ndpendant

ndpendant Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2010
    Chicago- west burbs
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Love the photos, was thinking of a full Termi at some point, but the 3K is almost half the cost of the bike at this point. Maybe next year. Looking forward to picking it up, everything ive read is positive about the aircooled 1100 engine. I didn't know about the ohlin fork seals, Ill see if they were checked at the 7500 mi service. thanks for the advice!
    paul

6. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    The current 821/939 Hypermotard and Hyperstrada do nothing for me. However, the original 1100cc bad boy is so faithful to the original concept bike, funky, and cool it would be a tempting purchase. That or the short-lived (in the US anyway) Dorsoduro 1200 would be a great city and tight back road bike.

As for the Ohlins seals, they make a neoprene sleeve that slides onto the male fork slider that is designed to prevent crud and nicks to the polished tube. No pretty titanium nitride gold look though when using those.

7. ndpendant

ndpendant Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2010
    Chicago- west burbs
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Ive put a few hundred miles on the MS and I really like the bike. Quick when it has to be, smooth at cruise. Some of the gearing ratios are a little wierd at certain speeds but im getting used to it. Need to widen the mirors Just got the adapters yesterday. Need a new bracket for the rear shock adjuster but otherwise enjoying the motorcycle. Would love to find much larger diameter throttle grip. Im a 3XL glove size and its so small to keep smooth acceleration in first gear. Next to larger/longer rear set levers.

8. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
    Awesome all around bikes.

Debating between a multi or hyper myself!