blew my boat motor | FerrariChat

blew my boat motor

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by rob lay, May 13, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #1 rob lay, May 13, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    First time I've ever blown a motor and I even raced cars for 10 years! I have a Mercury 250 Pro XS on my Ranger 20 foot. I was at bass tournament in Oklahoma when in practice sometimes had a problem shifting into reverse or neutral. Turned out my motor mounts were shot. Mercury support trailer at tournament, so they replaced. I have never had problems with this motor, but after they replaced motor mounts I was having power issues. About the 4th time I had tech work on it and then back on water to test it was making good power, but sounded off. All of a sudden I lost power and it blew. Hole size of baseball through block and fragments everywhere. They wanted $18k for a new powerhead right there, so I just borrowed a boat rest of tournament and got a remanufactured one back home for $6k. I broke it in this week and running great, even caught an 8 pounder out of it yesterday.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #2 rob lay, May 13, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Nice. I want to fish with you. I have been gunning for a 10lb bass for years but no joy.

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    10 pounders are like seeing bigfoot. :) I only have one double-digit, a 12.18 back in 2011. Since then I have caught 4-5 9-pounders and 20+ 8-pounders. Shows how rare those 10+ pounders are. I fish a bunch at Lake Fork, which is one of the best places, but to give you an idea there is tournament there this weekend 1,000 boats fishing 3-days and big fish will be 8-9 pounder, if someone is really lucky there might be a single 10+ pounder. That is 24,000 hours of fishing and maybe only 1-2 10+ pounders MAYBE.

If you just want to experience a 10-pounder there is a pond south of Dallas costs $1,000-$1,500 a day and especially if you give it a couple days you are likely to catch a 10+ pounder, likely a 13-15 pounder. I have never fished there.

Mexico is also a good place for a 10+, like Sugar Lake is good right now.

ohh never mind, I see you are in Southern California, you just need to hit one of those trout stocked lakes! :D

5. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

When I saw the thread title my first question was, "Did you burn your lips when you did it?" But then I thought better of it. :D

D

6. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    why did motor fail?

7. umsneeze

umsneeze Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    You should blow motors more often if it means better fishing.

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    fuel injector, ran dry. they said it is pretty common for power head failures, nothing warns you or shuts motor down or anything, it just tries to run until it blows. :eek:

9. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    How many hours on the motor? What RPM do you usually run? I know it hurts but $8K doesn't sound like that bad of a price. Was it remaned by Mercury? Glad it's up and running.

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    no, aftermarket reman. Mercury wanted $18k for a new powerhead at the service trailer. You can buy new complete motors for $15k away from tournament. Boat is 2011 and only worth $30k-something and plan to sell this year, so best was just putting reman in there $6k. Comes with 1 year warranty and will pass to new owner. I'm getting a new Ranger and Mercury, if I have problems at tournament they will put whatever part needed (even $18k powerhead) on right there for free under warranty!

11. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #11 BoulderFCar, May 14, 2016
    Last edited: May 14, 2016
    I don't know anything about the bass boat market. I don't understand how the boats don't crash more often. They go stupid fast while lightly chine walking. Seems like it could go bad in a hurry. It's got to be a rush getting to the first spot.

That's a pretty amazing level of service to have lakeside.

12. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    The key might have been when you said it sounded funny. Remember that sound for the next time. And I bet you could put a warning system on if it is "pretty common." I bet a simple Aerologic gauge and 02 sensor or EGT with some diagnostics like the one cribbj used for his Ferrari slow down light ECU conversion could be used to monitor and warn you by buzzer if A/F ratios when wacky or EGT's went high. A few 100 buck system could save $18K.

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    about as many bass tournament guys die in Texas a year as car racers. always 2-3 a year. usually not tournament start, but lower light condition morning or evening boats intersecting. I love the starts, guess that's all I do of racing anymore. ;) first video is a mass start, the second one is the typical numbered start (boat start about 1:05').

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUNN4pcngRI[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA-6Yrr0aKA[/ame]

14. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #14 BoulderFCar, May 15, 2016
    Last edited: May 15, 2016
    Vid 1 makes my case. The boat looks like it's going 50-60mph? When they cross the wakes it's just sooooo close to bad. Nuts.

I don't know about bass fishing but in saltwater everything is conditioned. There are areas where just the firing of a spear gun will bring sharks out as they know fish on a stick are close behind. They even learn the sound of a specific boat that feeds them. I'd think a bass would learn to head for the hills when they hear all those boats coming.

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    My 20 foot Ranger hits 74 mph and it is known as one of the slowest bass boats. Most hit 80 and a few like Bullet or Allison will hit mid-80's. Even in tournaments no reason to go more than 70. Honestly the more important factor is handling rough water which Rangers are good at. We have to "deal" with 3-4+ footers more often than we need to hit a spot calm water few seconds quicker.

16. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Do you team fish like a race enduro or just you in the boat like a sprint race?

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    all kinds of tournaments, just like racing.

Solo.

Team.

Boater & Coangler in different competition, but same boat.

18. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
    During these tournaments do you guys keep orris the fish back?

Always wondered that.

They have tons of these tournaments on my lake, those boats fly!

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    bass fishing tournaments are all catch & release. bass taste good and there are several opportunities overpopulated ponds and lakes to keep them for eating. generally in lakes people prefer to catch crappie and catfish for eating. 99% of the popularity for bass fishing is the challenge catching on artificial lures and the fight. mentality is release so there are more fish to enjoy.

20. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC

I've always been told bass tasted terrible my whole life! Guess I might need to try it out.

Learn something everyday

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    bass are really good, I don't care for white or stripped bass.

22. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Sorry about the motor, Rob. We popped the Suzuki we origanlly had on our boat.
    Most of the time I hear about the air pump going out on the Optis, but they don't pop like that.
    Should have just hung a bigger motor on:D

23. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    150HP are $15K, installed..I priced a complete motor last month on my rig.........glad you got it sorted!!!

Oh, n/m I guess the powerhead for a 250HP that's about retail.......nice fish!!

24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I can get you a new 250 HP for $15-16k, they list for closer to $20k though.

25. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Look on the bright side Rob, at least your boat didn't sink! :) ;)