Vintage Indian motorcycle knowledge | FerrariChat

Vintage Indian motorcycle knowledge

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by 19633500GT, Jun 16, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Possibly diving headfirst into a project bike. I'd likely assemble it then resell.

It's apart currently, nice patina, a '46 Indian Chief. Any thoughts on what it may be worth disassembled (current), and then after reassembly? I don't plan on painting it, or really changing any of the original components.

Any expertise or thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    There used to be a great reference in the form of walnecks cycle trader but it looks as though it has been disbanded. All those classifieds they used to show have surely gone elsewhere, perhaps cycle trader?

3. Ferrariornot

Ferrariornot Rookie

Dec 4, 2016
    Clearwater Florida
    Full Name:
    Drew
    $12,000 unassembled complete.
    $20-24 assembled and running.

4. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Motorcyclepedia Museum - Antique Motorcycles

Give these guys a call or pop over. Newburgh, NY on the River. Guy was described as the "black hole" of Indians...once he bought one, it was never seen again. Ended up with the largest private collection of Indians in the world, so he and his son opened a museum. Pretty cool.

5. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Newburgh is like 40 minutes from me...

I'll have to give this a much closer look!

Thanks for the tips

6. redfred84

redfred84 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    SF Bay Area, USA
    the Museum would be the result of "Tiawan Ted", and his son. Yes, they amassed quite a collection of Antique Motorcycle goodies in their day, and specialized in Indian. Although their bread & butter is aftermarket HD parts manufactured off shore.
    Together with the Antique Motorcycle Foundation (an off shoot of the Antique Motorcycle Club of Amercia) due to tax reasons, Ted and the Foundation have opened quite the Museum.
    As for speculating on your '48 Chief; the antique motorcycle community suffered a period of non-enthusiast speculators when the machines suddenly found themselves on the map. However, most vintage motorcyclists are the genuine types, who tend to do their own work, and can sense a rat.
    If one has the opportunity to acquire a vintage Indian project reasonable, perhaps they should give it a try for their own use! I understand the need to make a buck, but most in the vintage bike community look down on it. (although it still goes on).
    RF
    Red Fred Johansen
    Past AMCA BOD member
    AMCA Technical Adviser
    AMCA National Judge.
    Have some 50 Indians that I am willing to trade toward Maseratis and/or parts.

7. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Fred, I appreciate the response and candor.

First and foremost, I'm an enthusiast. But, I'm also a bit younger (I'd speculate) than most who are interested in these types of machines.

I understand the need to be "genuine", and would love to keep everything I get my hands on. But it's not practical, and I'm both a realist, and understand a lesson my good, and very successful friend once told me.

"Ken, we all love cars, but you're not wealthy enough to have sentimental value..."

Which, in a nutshell means, however much I'd love to buy the 1946 Indian, assemble, keep it, and carry on into the future, I'm not at a juncture in my life where that's a viable option. Do I need to make "a buck"? Yes, I do sometimes, I understand that's looked down upon, but I deal in sense, and if I can afford to keep something, I do. If I can't, then I sell it. Simple personal economics for me. Do I need to make every last drop? No, I LOVE matching enthusiasts to their loves, and have done it many times, often selling something far below market, just to see it go to the right person...

Thanks again.

KRS

8. redfred84

redfred84 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    SF Bay Area, USA
    I kinda get you. Anything that I ever tried to speculate on, blew up in my face. So I try and stick with the stuff I want for me. This is pretty limited, as never made much mula being a union electrician, especially retiring early before any real money went to my pension, or any to my health care. But there are more important things in life.
    If there is one thing I know, it's post war Chiefs. So if there is anything I can help you with, lemme know. You can send me some pics, or let me know the guy who is selling it (I most likely know him).
    Although, it would be kinda cool if you fell in love with the bike, and used it. I've been pretty much around the world 4 times on my '47 Chief. Indians were the reason for all my World travel, and now this has blossomed with my Maserati Life. I helped form the Italian Indian Club, and attended their first ever International Indian Rally. Pretty cool, since it was just before the Maserati 100 Year Anniversary. We managed to kill 2 birds with one stone on that one!
    Lemme know what I can do, RF.

9. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
  10. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    #10 19633500GT, Jan 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Finally

Obvious non original paint. Unsure of orig color

Seats wrong

Saddle bags just for fun but nice

Loads of parts wrapped in tissue paper and spares. Kinda cool eh?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    That looks like a great place to start!

12. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    Did it ever get finished?

Boomhauer likes this.
  13. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    Back in the late 60's I was reworking a '49 Harley and bought a springer front end and a seat and various chrome parts from Ted Doering. It was know then as Ted's Cycle Shed. He ran the business from his parent's garage in Vails Gate, NY. Image Unavailable, Please Login I'd drive down to see him and his Mom would make us lunch. Ted had built "The Barron", a chopped Indian with a flatbed sidecar sporting an anti-aircraft gun. Most of the regional 1%'s used him to customize their rides. There was a gang know as "The Breed". They all ran chrome frames. It grew to the point where they were having parts made in China so you could completely recreate a vintage Harley. Orange County Choppers bought a lot of parts from him. He and his Dad Jerry amassed an incredible collection of bikes over their lifetimes. Worth a visit...
    https://motorcyclepediamuseum.org/

stretchgeneral and Texas Forever like this.
  14. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    RIP Kent Thompson.
    I'm writing to post notice of the passing today of Kent Thompson (New Hampshire), Indian restoration guru extraordinare, and parts supplier to those seeking NOS Indian parts for vintage Indians.
    The information I'm sharing comes from my friend who has been a long-time customer and friend of Kent.
    I want to be sensitive to the privacy of his family while getting the word out there to those who knew him.
    There will be a celebration of life ceremony. If anyone is interested, I can post that when the date is announced.
    Kent was hospitalized last week and was in critical condition due to injuries sustained working at home on his property.
    Kent succumbed today to those injuries.
    I didn't have the opportunity to meet him but have heard stories first-hand for more than a decade about what an absolute gem of a person he was. To those who knew him, I wish to express my condolences.

Texas Forever and NYC Fred like this.
  15. adc

adc Karting

Feb 1, 2009