Harley and the Davidsons | FerrariChat

Harley and the Davidsons

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by mikesufka, Sep 10, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Anybody watch the 3 part series? I loved it.

I bought my first bike in 2002 (Fatboy) and put about 22,000 miles on it. Next was a 2004 Bourget Chopper that I put 7000 miles on and finally a 2006 RoadKing that has 55,000 miles on it. I've been to Sturgis 4 times and find myself riding less and less but still love it.

Anyway, great entertainment if you're a "Harley Guy" - I can't wait to ride again so I can think back about the history and the show. They did a great job.

MDS

2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    I liked the first 2 episodes. However, there appeared to be missing an episode 2.5. Episode 2 ended with HD being sued by Indian et. al. and it looked like the end of the world for HD no matter what they did. Then episode 3 started and made no mention of the cliff-hanger that was to be the demise of HD and acted like it was business as usual and there was no further mention of Indian and their alleged chicanery. I googled this incident and could not find anything. Perhaps an HD expert can comment. May have been added by the writers/producers for drama.

3. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

Personally I thought the first two episodes were great, but found the third one lacking. It seemed as if they stretched or revised the plot so much it dragged somewhat. Otherwise, it was quite enjoyable.

4. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Isn't everybody a Harley guy?
    Me: 2015 FLHXS
    Oh Yeah and: '07 F430 Spider

5. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Watched all 3. certainly felt like the first two grabbed on and the third one disapointed.

6. onboost

onboost Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2004
    DC Metro area
    I thought it was a pretty good mini-series. Some of the details a bit skewed but they got most of it in. It was nice that they showed the many obstacles to stability the company suffered. I especially liked the small piece on the development and launch of Knucklehead and how that really pulled them up..

What they didn't show was the timeline for that engine/bike which would have been 1936 for the first version of the Knucklehead motor (61cu), and 1941 for the 2nd version which was a 74cu.. which I believe was the one they referred to as the fastest motorcycle in the world at the time. The 74 cu motor ran well into the late 70's as a shovelhead until they introduced the 80cu (which was actually 82cu) and then went to the EVO in 84 I believe.. still the same basic design an bottom end.

Sorry to be long winded but I love these old bikes and have had many, including a 47 the last year for the Knucklehead. They moved to the Panhead after that.

7. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I thought it was a great show watched it on Amazon intact my wife even liked it. Not really a biker but enjoy fact based business history....