Go Back   FerrariChat.com > The Ferrari Lifestyle > Motorcycles & Boats

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2017, 05:36 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Motocross/Enduro/Dualsport

Any of you guys into offroad motorcycling? I used to be into motocross pretty big (for me anyway), but hung it up when we started having kids. I got the bug again and have been doing some enduro and dual sport riding in the Tahoe area on a 2017 KTM 500 EXC-F.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 06-23-2017, 06:02 PM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigar View Post
Any of you guys into offroad motorcycling? I used to be into motocross pretty big (for me anyway), but hung it up when we started having kids. I got the bug again and have been doing some enduro and dual sport riding in the Tahoe area on a 2017 KTM 500 EXC-F.

Is this street legal? I'm going to be moving near a national forest, but I'm not interested in hauling a bike.

BTW, remember a DT-1? Damn that was almost more fun than the law allows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-24-2017, 10:07 AM
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: John
My Garage
I raced hare scrambles and the occasional enduro in the nineties. All district 5 stuff.

I think once you're bitten by that bug, it never really leaves your system. About six or eight years ago I bought the best KDX 200 I could find and set it up exactly like the one I raced. Suspension by Fredette, combined with pipe & silencer really made that bike competitive in the day. Didn't take long for me to realize that I'm not rider I once was and that pain sucks more now than it did when I was in my thirties.

One ride on my sons Beta 300 RR and I realized how antiquated my bike is.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:04 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

I started riding motard a couple years ago. Got me interested in offroad. Last year I bought Maria Forsberg's old bike ('12/'13 KTM XCF-W 250), and got started with some forested singletrack riding in some of our mountain foothills. Definitely looking forward to more, and possibly trying some motocross.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:55 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Full Name: NORTY
Yup motocross will make an old man out of....old men!
Old 07-17-2017, 12:07 AM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Forever View Post
Is this street legal? I'm going to be moving near a national forest, but I'm not interested in hauling a bike.

BTW, remember a DT-1? Damn that was almost more fun than the law allows.

Yes, street legal. I'm about a mile from a national forest. It's great gearing up in the garage and riding straight out from there. Ride back to the house, undress in the garage and hit the shower. Sooo, much better than hauling.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:41 AM
Karting
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Mark
I raced motocross district 36 from 1970 to 78 before leaving for college. Maybe we crossed paths? I still race (60 plus vet class) and try to practice once a week. I recently sold all my gas bikes to buy an electric Alta Redshift MX. Any body down here in SoCal that wants to go to the track and practice let me know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (104.4 KB, 37 views)
Old 07-19-2017, 07:02 AM
F1 Veteran
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Rob Guess
Still ride my 1994 KX-250 whenever I get the chance. This winter I plan on taking it down to the frame and giving it a full on restoration.

The nice thing about the 4 stroke revolution in offroad bikes is the fact that older 2 strokes are selling at high prices and currently are increasing in value. I have had 1 person offer me $4k for my KX. I turned him down. Another friend of mine has 2 2007 CR125 and 2 2007 CR250 1 each for riding and the others still in the crate.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 07-19-2017, 08:01 AM
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: John
My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvonauto View Post
I raced motocross district 36 from 1970 to 78 before leaving for college. Maybe we crossed paths? I still race (60 plus vet class) and try to practice once a week. I recently sold all my gas bikes to buy an electric Alta Redshift MX. Any body down here in SoCal that wants to go to the track and practice let me know.
That looks intense! I didn't realize e-bikes were on the market.

Do you race it, and if so, against gas bikes?

What kind of range/hrs. do you get?

I can't imagine riding without engine sounds, must take some getting use to.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:19 AM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Quote:

Damn, what did you do? Have steel rods placed in your back? Congrats on racing in your '60s.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:00 AM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Quote:

I didn't know the e-bikes had developed so far. That thing looks pretty legit.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:22 PM
Karting
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigar View Post
I didn't know the e-bikes had developed so far. That thing looks pretty legit.
Very legit. Still about 30lbs heavier than the competition but that'll go away as battery cell tech improves. See their website, Altamotors.com.