Best driving route to Florida | FerrariChat

Best driving route to Florida

Discussion in 'New England' started by Pizzaman Chris, Jan 9, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    Yes, you heard it right, It's almost that time again. :)

I usually take 95S all the way. Mass Pike to Conn and then thru NY, George W. Bridge, NJ Pike, Delaware Bridge, Maryland, DC, Virginia, etc...

I have customers, that have been driving down there longer then me, tell me to go another way. They say it might ad a hour or two. I really don't know what route they mention. One person tells me to thru Upstate NY and a couple of them tell me to go thru PA.

I have been driving the same route for 8 years now (twice a year) and I've gotten used of it. But if there's better route, I'll try it.

So does any of my fellow New Englanders have this "Better Route?"

2. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    Not sure what part of Florida you go to, but how about the way I usually go to Charlotte and Atlanta, 84 to 81, past Roanoke VA., pick up 77 south to Charlotte, then pick up 85 to Atlanta. From Atlanta you could take 75 to Florida.

This keeps you away from most major cities, no tolls, less traffic, etc.

3. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    #3 Ashman, Jan 9, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
    Could they be talking about taking 81 South through Harrisburg, PA and then through the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia? It's further west than 95 but you avoid all of the crap going through NY City/New Jersey and then DC which, depending on time of day, can be pretty congested. There are some ways to get on 81 South coming out of NE, mainly by staying on 84W to Scranton and picking up 81 there.

Things get dicey though as you go through western VA unless you cut back east through Charlottesville on Rt 64 and back on 95. I suppose you could go through Roanoke instead and then take 77 South through Charlotte NC and then Columbia SC and picking up 95 south of there. Parts of that route should be very scenic but I have to believe that the time added will be a lot more than a couple of hours though. Map it to see for sure because depending on what part of Florida you are going to, it may not be so long. I hear that Jacksonville for instance is something like 300 miles west of Miami and almost directly due south of Akron, Ohio!

Okay, late edit, just did a quick google map of the routes from my house to Jacksonville and the more western route through Columbia is 17 hr 41 min vs. 15 hours and 35 min. via 95 all the way. Plus 2 hours and 6 minutes. Go figure!

John

4. Ray G

Ray G Formula 3

Sep 8, 2005
    Newport, RI
    Good thread, I was just thinking of driving down to FL myself. Chris, how long does it take you to get there usually?

5. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    Thanks for the tips guys. :)

Like you said it's timing trying to get threw the main citys. But once you get threw VA. it's not bad.

Ray, i go Marco Island.
    I do pretty good. Takes me 30hrs of straight driving. I can make it to the Florida border before i run out of steam.

6. vunico

vunico Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2007
    southern florida
    i'm heading south for the cavallino next week and although inland routes sound appealing 9 months a year,it might be a bit dicey in january...especially in my little tt !
    btw,if you like bbq,don't miss the GA PIG just off 95 in southern georgia...ummm

7. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    I'll be swinging over there too. Look for me, i'll be dressed as a tourist. :)

8. vunico

vunico Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2007
    southern florida
    at the cav or the pig ??
    in either case,i'll be the one drooling...

9. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey

are you driving your 308 to FL?

10. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    #10 Pizzaman Chris, Jan 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    At Cavalino.

We can always meet at this place in South Carolina for a nice meal. ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    #11 Pizzaman Chris, Jan 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. WAR EGL

WAR EGL Formula Junior

May 8, 2003
    SE Connecticut
    Full Name:
    TWS
    I spent 9 years driving back and forth between CT and Auburn and it is the exact route that I went (at least to Atlanta). It added a lot of miles, but typically cut about 5 hours off the trip v. going 95. You'll have to balance that savings with the fact that you'll be adding time to get from Atlanta to Marco Island.

13. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey

u r no fun Chris thought you were driving down for cavallino

14. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris

This route looks promising. I'll have to bring up a map to see the route.

So you're saying 84 to 81 and then 77 all the way down and then just connect to 95?

Is that route a interstate highway? Rest areas like 95?

Thanks

15. WAR EGL

WAR EGL Formula Junior

May 8, 2003
    SE Connecticut
    Full Name:
    TWS
    I84 to Scranton PA, then I81 to Wytheville, VA where you pick up I77 South. I can't speak for I77 past Charlotte as that's where I got on I85, but it looks like you can take 77 to Columbia SC, then take I26 from Columbia to I95. Interstates all the way.

16. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.

I too can't speak for 77 past Charlotte, but the rest of the way, yes, rest areas, lots of truck stops, etc...

Can get a bit boring here and there, not much to see, but a nice ride overall. And yes again, major routes, two lanes each way, divided highways. And watch out for the Staties in Virginia, they are STRICT !!!! they like to sit up at the top of ramps, and aim the radar down from behind you as you go by...

17. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    #17 Pizzaman Chris, Jan 13, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
    Well guys, i took a look at my options and i think this route will work for me.

84 to 81 then to 77 and then cut across on 26 and connect to 95 in SC.

What do you think?

18. WAR EGL

WAR EGL Formula Junior

May 8, 2003
    SE Connecticut
    Full Name:
    TWS
    Do it, and let us know how it goes. If it isn't still closed for the winter, jump off on to the Blue Ridge Parkway from Roanoake,VA to Fancy Gap - well worth the extra time.

19. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Sounds like a very good plan. Please report how it works out. When do you leave?

John

20. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    That's a great, easy route.

21. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    Will do.

What part are you saying might be closed?

I'm leaving this Sunday. :)

22. WAR EGL

WAR EGL Formula Junior

May 8, 2003
    SE Connecticut
    Full Name:
    TWS
    Forgot to mention (probably because I'm in Key West and was drinking when I left my last post), check online before you leave as to whether the Blue Ridge Parkway is open or not - its aggravating as hell when you drive out of your way to take it and find out its closed for the winter. Added a few hours to a drive to Tampa one winter - I was most displeased.

23. vunico

vunico Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2007
    southern florida
    just left the AAA office and the gal said there are construction slowdowns on 81 at this time...

24. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.

Chris, FYI, from Leominster, I can usually make it to Roanoke in 10 hours +/-, Hillsville / Galax Va. on I 77 in 12 hours, and Charlotte in 14 hours.

25. Chef

Chef Rookie

Aug 4, 2007
    SomeWhere On Earth
    Full Name:
    Artie

Pizzaman, make sure they cook the steak well done! ;)