2013 Connecticut Legislation thread | FerrariChat

2013 Connecticut Legislation thread

Discussion in 'New England' started by mulo rampante, Jan 12, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mulo rampante

mulo rampante Formula Junior

May 31, 2011
    Terra Incognita
    Full Name:
    Charles
    With Connecticut HB 5405 still fresh in our collective memory, I thought it would be a good idea to start this thread. Note that the sponsor of last year's HB 5405, Rep. Jeffrey J. Berger, is now the Deputy Speaker of the House.

The current list of this year's house bills does not have anything like 5405 in it yet, but the legislative season is still young.

There is already another bill that deserves our attention. It proposes annual safety inspections of motor vehicles. Seems to be more about revenue than vehicle safety.

The bill has been referred to the Joint Committee on Transportation.

This is the entire text of the bill as it presently stands:

Code:
    General Assembly

Proposed Bill No. 5187

January Session, 2013

LCO No. 246

Referred to Committee on TRANSPORTATION

Introduced by:

REP. HOVEY, 112th Dist.

AN ACT REQUIRING ANNUAL SAFETY INSPECTIONS FOR ALL MOTOR VEHICLES.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Assembly convened:

That title 14 of the general statutes, concerning motor vehicles, be amended to require annual safety inspections for all such vehicles, including inspection of mud flaps, lights, windshield wipers and windows.

Statement of Purpose:

To improve road safety in Connecticut by requiring all motor vehicles to undergo annual safety inspections.
    You can look through the whole House list of bills here: http://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/menu/ClerkDocList.ASP?house=H&doc_type=lob

I have not seen anything in the Senate list of bills that is of concern to our hobby. The Senate list is here: http://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/menu/ClerkDocList.ASP?house=S&doc_type=lob

2. Saint Bastage

Saint Bastage F1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lane
    Thanks Charles...We'll keep an eye out.

3. Saint Bastage

Saint Bastage F1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lane
    And the Bull**** starts: (at least its not a car issue.)

General Assembly

Proposed Bill No. 122

January Session, 2013

LCO No. 543

Referred to Committee on JUDICIARY

Introduced by:

SEN. MEYER, 12th Dist.

AN ACT CONCERNING RESTRICTIONS ON GUN USE.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Assembly convened:

That the general statutes be amended to establish a class C felony offense, except for certain military and law enforcement personnel and certain gun clubs, for (1) any person or organization to purchase, sell, donate, transport, possess or use any gun except one made to fire a single round, (2) any person to fire a gun containing more than a single round, (3) any person or organization to receive from another state, territory or country a gun made to fire multiple rounds, or (4) any person or organization to purchase, sell, donate or possess a magazine or clip capable of holding more than one round.

Statement of Purpose:

To reduce the use of guns for criminal purposes.

4. Saint Bastage

Saint Bastage F1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lane
    Here's a nice list of the legislation being considered or already passed. Note that one of them includes a 50% sales tax on ammunition. Hmmm, How does that help? To be honest...not all of them are bad. (just most of them)

Welcome to the CCDL

5. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Sounds like political grandstanding. The NRA isn't going to let that one go.

6. mulo rampante

May 31, 2011
    Terra Incognita
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Yes. BTW, there were many firearms-related bill introduced, especially in the first few days. I think the "single round" thing is a little extreme... makes a double barrel shotgun illegal, an over and under rifle, etc.

Back to the transportation theme, here's one that impacts older collector cars:

Proposed H.B. No. 6021 REP. VICINO, 35th DIST. 'AN ACT CONCERNING INSPECTIONS FOR MOTOR VEHICLES WITH OVER ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND MILES', to require inspections for certain vehicles to ensure safety on our roads.
    REF. TRANSPORTATION

The last couple of days have seen a lot of House bills introduced ... have to look and see what's up in the Senate.

7. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    No doubt they are all disguised "tax" bills.

8. gurslo

gurslo Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Any thoughts regarding Uncle Malloy's car tax elimination?
    He must have something up his sleeve.

9. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    We had that before and they canned it.. Now theywaqnt tocheck our mud flaps ?? I guess we are collectivly screwed if we have to mount mud flaps..
    freagging politicians, cant they just leave cars alone??

And what are the facts supporting that the "old" car are unsafe in CT to justify such bills? We do need an NRA for cars..

10. mulo rampante

May 31, 2011
    Terra Incognita
    Full Name:
    Charles
    I just looked up the status of the bill. They had a public hearing on 20 Feb. Several members of the public voiced their opposition to the bill at that time.

Rep. Tom Vicino (who introduced the bill) also wrote a letter asking the transportation committee to support the bill.

He noted that he would like to see seat belts, horn, lights and wipers tested at the same time as the regularly scheduled emissions testing. This actually seems pretty reasonable, but I still question if it will lead to increased vehicle safety. I think phones are a much bigger problem. I guess it's a good idea if your goal is to develop a revenue stream. Always ask the question: Who stands to benefit?

At least there's no sign of last year's HB5405 being resurrected. This is good to see.

Letters presented to the transportation committee here: http://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/menu/CommDocTmyBillAllComm.asp?bill=HB-06021&doc_year=2013]

I think you can rest easy about having to put mud flaps on the Countach, regardless of the outcome. :)

11. mulo rampante

May 31, 2011
    Terra Incognita
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Also, regarding Rep. Hovey's bill to require annual safety inspections... they had a public hearing on that one, and the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles, Melody Currey spoke against it, saying it would be costly for both taxpayers and the DMV, and that she doesn't believe it will improve safety on Connecticut roads.

BTW, it was Rep. Hovey who mentioned mud flaps in her bill.

Also, Rep. Vicino, who introduced the other bill, owns an auto body and repair shop in Westbrook. IMO, that sounds like a conflict of interest.

12. Triton

Triton Karting

May 17, 2009
    Boston - Metro West
    Full Name:
    Paul M
    I feel really bad for you guys in Ct...seems crazy.
    I am no lawyer but does, this mean you guys are going to have to put "mud flaps" on your Ferrari's?
    What next?

13. Saint Bastage

Saint Bastage F1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lane
    I'd rather staple a politician to my wheel well!

14. mulo rampante

May 31, 2011
    Terra Incognita
    Full Name:
    Charles
    #14 mulo rampante, Apr 30, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
    Lane mentioned to me that this was on the agenda again... Indeed, last year's HB 5405 has reappeared largely intact as HB 5102 this year:

AN ACT ESTABLISHING A STATE-WIDE MILL RATE FOR MOTOR VEHICLES AND AMENDING THE DEFINITION OF ANTIQUE, RARE OR SPECIAL INTEREST MOTOR VEHICLE.

Public Hearing Testimony here (most opposed):

http://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/menu/CommDocTmyBillAllComm.asp?bill=HB-05102&doc_year=2013

Last action: 4/25/2013 Referred by House to Committee on Finance, Revenue and Bonding

I'm amazed that I missed this. Like last year's bill, this bill seeks to establish a state-wide mill rate on motor vehicles. It also seeks to change the definition of "Antique, rare or special interest" motor vehicles so that only cars aged 30 years and older would qualify.

From a quick read, it appears that in this year's version of the bill, the municipalities would still be responsible for collecting motor vehicle taxes. Any surplus collected (relative to the old local mill rate) would then be remitted to the Department of Revenue Services for subsequent distribution. This would be done over a 5 year period to allow towns to "adjust" to the new mill rate.

Just from memory, I think this differs from last years bill in that the old bill would have the state collecting this revenue on behalf of the towns. Maybe a gesture to appease the Connecticut Conference of Municipalities? Well, they spoke out against this one as well at the public hearing.

Nothing improves efficiency like an extra layer of administration.

It's all about revenue, folks.

15. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    This will probably fail, again. They should have a 3 strikes law for introducing bills.

16. mulo rampante

May 31, 2011
    Terra Incognita
    Full Name:
    Charles
    #16 mulo rampante, May 10, 2013
    Last edited: May 10, 2013
    HB 5102 is now titled: "AN ACT PROVIDING AN EXEMPTION FROM PROPERTY TAX FOR MOTOR VEHICLES." The new substitute bill seeks to exempt the first $20,000 of a car's assessed value from local property taxes. It would take effect on July 1, 2019.

No mention of antique vehicles in the text of the bill, though the bill status page still mentions this. (It appears to simply not have been updated.)

So, good news for owners of antique vehicles... apparently.

n.b. Senate Bill 843 contains similar language.

17. tonyswfla

tonyswfla Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 2, 2007
    Florida
    Do any of you CT guys know if a title is required to sell a 1977 motor vehicle registered in CT and being sold to an out of state buyer? The seller tells me no title needed, they use a "registraton transfer" form.

both of us are private parties, no dealers.

18. gurslo

gurslo Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I would ask the DMV of the next state the car will be registered in.
    Most states have all of this info online.

19. mulo rampante

May 31, 2011
    Terra Incognita
    Full Name:
    Charles
    I think Peter is spot-on with this advice. Connecticut itself does not require a title for cars more than 20 model years old, but I think you need to find out what the requirements are in the state where it will end up. You might also be able to apply for, and receive, a Connecticut title... I've heard of this being done.

20. tonyswfla

tonyswfla Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 2, 2007
    Florida
    thanks for the input

I am in Florida and they require a title in hand to register here

But trying to find out if they forgo a title with an older vehicle, similar to the way CT appears to handle it

21. dipstick1

dipstick1 Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter Lombardo
    Connecticut does not issue titles to vehicles prior to 1981, Most state accept a prior or current registration certificate from a CT car. This is not a uncommon issue as Rhode Island I believe doesn't issue titles for cars over 15 years old - New Hampshire is similar, California seems to give a lot of grief as all vehicles have titles in California regardless of age. Connecticut will however issue a title only- its a process and takes a weeks to get in hand.