FEED BACK 2013 Concorso WHFD | FerrariChat

FEED BACK 2013 Concorso WHFD

Discussion in 'New England' started by gurslo, Jul 1, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gurslo

gurslo Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Ok the 2013 Ferrari and Friends Concorso was a major success.

THANKYOU to ALL of the sponsors and owners that help this event help the Children.

The reason for this thread, while fresh in our minds, is to get the very important feed back from YOU. Whether an owner, spectator, or child's family member, we are interested in your thoughts.

We would like to keep the thread on track and fill it with creative input.

We are looking for :

1. Likes vs Dislikes?
    2. Ideas on improving future events?
    3. Changes or suggestions as to what could be done differently?

Thank you for your reply.

2. Mowgli

Mowgli Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2009
    Bristol, CT
    I realize that it was started as a Ferrari only show, then slowly let other Italian cars in, but would allowing other exotics in the show be a bad thing? I know Italian cars are the main focus, but having a section for "other" would only help.

3. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    This was my first time being involved in the show/ parade and honestly can't think of anything that could have made it a better experience....it was well organized and the time schedule was pretty much spot on....looking forward to next year....

4. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    That's a tough one. We've brought it up at times during meetings. But I think we really are trying to stay the course.
    Plus space has become limited. We are already in discussions about the use of Farmington Ave.
    But that does not mean that won't allow others in the future. It would have to be the right time for it and the right cars.

5. sam231

sam231 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2004
    RI
    A great job as usual, my 2 cents:

1.The arrival of the cars with the CCMC kids is a zoo, people and kids gathering in front of the cars blocking their travel down the street. Dangerous too. Suggest placeing temporary barriers of chain, tape, rope, whatever ALL the way down the street forming a middle lane to keep people out so the cars can quickly drop off the kids and proceed back around to park.

2. More trash barrels.

3. Special T or short-sleeve shirts for the concorso staff/helpers - maybe hats too. Makes them easier to identify.

4. Ask for volunteers from people like me who arrive with cars to exhibit. We can help with parking cars, crowd control, etc. - give us a t-shirt too, we want to help.

Cheers.

6. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    I just got back to Atlanta from Hartford yesterday. We attended the show last year and this year. This show is one of the best I've been to. The quality and rarity of some of the cars that were shown is amazing. In fact I saw some cars that I've never seen in person. Truly an amazing show.

7. gurslo

gurslo Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Sam231, Thankyou for your reply! Your suggestions are spot on.

1. Agreed- (parade) It has been discussed how we can control this portion of the event during the show. A zoo is a perfect description. Even with increased Police presence, as soon as people are passed they step right back into traffic. Even though we have discussed this, having a participant acknowledge this will hopefully bring needed results.
    2. Excellent suggestion- (garbage barrels) When the event is planned there aren't thousands of people on the street so barrels are in plain sight. This will be brought up at the follow up committee meeting.
    3. Shirts/identification- Every year all committee members wear matching collard short sleeve shirts with the Concorso logo. This year the addition of fluorescent green vests with "Concorso" printed on the back were used to assist with parking along with flash lights having red cones on the tip. I did notice the hired Town Employees wore the same vests minus the printed "Concorso" label on the back. This may have taken away from the volunteers standing out due to so many vests walking around. This will be brought to the committee's attention also.
    4. Volunteers- I will mention this at the follow up meeting. One quick issue I feel they will have a problem with is reliability. We were VERY lucky this year with the weather. If participants sign up to volunteer during the day and then figure the weather is to close for comfort and don't come, we get into a jam really quick. I will mention the interest and see if maybe a "day of" list could be set aside at sign up. This could allow for some of us to take breaks or have additional help like when the 40 car parade returns.

Again, thankyou for replying!
    The more views the better the show.

8. gurslo

gurslo Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter
    4re308, thanks for the positive feed back! I have to ask.. Do you make the trip to visit the show, or is it a bonus during your travels?

Any likes vs dislikes, or changes that can be addressed at the follow up meeting?
    We're only trying to make this better.

9. gurslo

gurslo Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter
    gilly6993, We're glad to hear you had a great time and were able to participate. You being part of the show helps make it what it is. We hope to see you next year.

If any thoughts come to mind, positive or negative, please post them and let us know.

10. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Definitely need to keep it Italian exotics only...if it's opened up to every car it becomes too big and diluted.

Agreed on the trash cans, a few on the streets would be good. The few I saw were overflowing.

11. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Sam231 did have a good idea about the arrival of the ccmc cars....it was a little nerve racking pulling in the last 25 yards or so....not that I was in the least worried about my car but I was concerned with the safety of the spectators.....maybe some ropes giving us some leeway pulling in....

12. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    #12 Peter K., Jul 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
    All 4 points were discussed after the event. We will be working on all of them...but the first one:
    The WOW factor for the spectators is to be around these car, especially while exhausts are singing. However, we are discussing utitilzing the police a lot more for this entrance. Plus roping off is dangerous and unreliable with this many spectators.....the like to push!

13. cove26

cove26 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I understand the concern about people getting too close to the cars, but one of the great things about the Concorso is that you could always get up close to these very rare cars to look at them or like I would do, photograph the interiors. I think putting chains around the cars to keep people away changes the dynamic of the show.

For as long as I could remember, the up close and personal concept has been in place for the Concorso and should be kept that way. 3 years ago we had the 250 GTO sitting on the polo grounds with no chains around it and, correct me if I'm wrong, was the most valuable vehicle the Concorso has had. I know you had an issue that year with your car Peter, but I would have to say those incidents as VERY rare! I think you run more of a risk with the chains and post being knocked over and falling onto a vehicle.

14. Tom S

Tom S Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2003
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Thomas Saupe
    I have to say I agree about the parade concerns. It seemed the worst area for trying to tiptoe through the crowd is just as you turn onto Lasalle from Farmington and the half block before the stage. As opposed to ropes or chains that can be pushed over and hurt some one or a car, Could we try and get a few more volunteers for crowd control in those areas?

And yes, more trash receptacles.

15. gurslo

gurslo Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter
    It helps when owners of multiple makes support the Italian show. The world loves cars, car shows are a huge hit due to their uniqueness. It's not my decision, but this Concorso will be a full blooded Italian show for a while. It's growing leaps and bounds as is.
    Thanks Jay.

More cans are being addressed.

16. gurslo

gurslo Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Crowd control was very difficult with the people not listening or moving when asked too.
    This is viewed as a priority by many and will be heavily discussed.

THANKYOU EVERYONE for your input!

17. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    We did have a 2hr conference call a few days after the show. Many many many things were discussed. We will be starting on 2014 soon after the summer. We'll get it better.

Keep the suggestions and concerns coming. Compliments too :)

18. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    Exactly, getting up close is the key.
    I keep have to remind owners that the spectators are not like us....we see, live, talk, drive, deal, and look at these cars everyday. They don't. We are use to it, they are not. This one day is a huge event in their lives after thinking that they would never be able to see even one. The closest they get is a 348 driving by them for a split second .....let alone an Enzo, F50, Aventador, Countach, MC-12, Veyron, 360,430,308,348 and on and on and one.
    To some, this is like winning a lottery.

19. Tom S

Tom S Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2003
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Thomas Saupe
    Through all of this event's various guises over the years, it has always been, in our opinion, the premier event of the season. The new venue is great and the crowds' enthusiasm adds enormously to that. I think you who organize this should be very proud. At this point, i think all we're talking about is tweaking a great event.

20. bkaminski1715

bkaminski1715 Rookie

May 3, 2010
    GREAT show, look forward to it every year.
    Incredible variety of cars, thought I had seen them all in past and then ...
    IS THAT A MASERATI MC12 ???!!! WOW!!!

Saw James Glickenhaus and son with 208 GTB Turbo.
    Has anyone ever approached him about bringing his P4/5 to this show?

21. gurslo

gurslo Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter
    The planning has begun for the 2014 Concorso.

Any thoughts that should be addressed at the meetings?

Fresh ideas can be a huge help.

22. sam231

sam231 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2004
    RI
    Just to clarify - I agree that up close and personal makes the event special. My suggestion about barriers or roping off the street was only connected to the parade of cars with CCMC kids - a faster drop-off and park process as well as spectator safety. I suggest a simple rope and stanchion system that could be quickly removed as the cars are parked.

They could be reused if there are any really special cars which the owners do not want approached or touched.

Cheers,

Sam

23. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    #23 Peter K., Feb 1, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
    We will be addressing this......hopefully in a way that works :)

24. Green308GTSi

Green308GTSi Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Barry Cross
    #24 Green308GTSi, Feb 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  25. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    Thanks Barry for making the trek. Philly is a good drive from the show!

I would LOVE to see more older Italian cars. I've grown very fond of them over recent years. I think it was the Montreal that was on display last year that really got me.....just a gorgeous car.