CT Specific - Help, my Insurance Agent is a MORON | FerrariChat

CT Specific - Help, my Insurance Agent is a MORON

Discussion in 'New England' started by Col. Kurtz, Oct 15, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Col. Kurtz

Col. Kurtz Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2013
    New England
    Full Name:
    Walter E.
    Hi Everyone,

I am told that I am supposedly a calm, understanding person. I make a conscious effort to forgive and 99% of the time allow multiple mistakes since, as the saying goes, we are only human. Heck, I'm not perfect.

However, after asking my insurance agent multiple times "Are you sure about the premium estimate?" and hearing from him repeatedly that he has "32 years experience and I KNOW what I'm doing" with attitude, the fact he under-quoted my premium cost by $1100/yr via Allstate has me feeling not very understanding.

To make up for his error he has gotten me quote from Hagerty, but they will not guarantee that their underwriting dept will accept my policy unless I join FCA, prove I have a previously owned a high-performance vehicle, drive it less than 2500/yr, the car is stock-standard and it is stored in a locked garage.

I am now in a quandary about what to do for insurance. Yes, I have performed a FChat search but cannot find anything Connecticut specific. Can anyone please recommend a good, reasonably priced Insurance company? I'm in my mid-40s with a spotless driving record.

Thanks!
    Vincent

2. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    I had Hagerty for my 400i but they never asked anything other than that I have at least one other car as a daily driver and that the Ferrari be kept in a locked garage. I have a clean driving record for many years, do you have some tickets on your record that would make them ask about "high performance car experience"?

What age is your car?

3. Saint Bastage

Saint Bastage F1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lane
    Vince...what did you buy? Is it gold plated?

I'm paying Amica ~$600 per year with no restrictions at all.

4. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    $284/year for my 308, $459 for the F355. Full coverage. Liberety Mutual. Under 5k miles a year.

5. dipstick1

dipstick1 Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter Lombardo
  6. Tim1137

Tim1137 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2011
    Providence - Boston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Vincent how about some more info?

What car are you buying, I assume your looking for full coverage? What was the estimated yearly quote versus the actual cost?

My Nissan GTR I previously owned, I was misquoted by about 500 dollars per year, or about 15%. I was told by my agent, that higher risk sports cars, the quotes are never accurate until you actually buy the policy.

7. Col. Kurtz

Col. Kurtz Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2013
    New England
    Full Name:
    Walter E.
    I have contacted and/or applied online for a quote with most of the companies suggested. Some are better than others, and I don't mean that just from a price perspective.

Important to me is having the actual, agreed value of the car covered rather than the company picking a low-ball figure if I ever make a claim which I then need to contest.

Also important, aside from the liability coverage, is not having an extensive, restrictive list attached to the car's use.

Anyway, at the moment I am going through a process of elimination and so far I am left with a few main-stream companies and a few exotic/collector car companies which I am leaning towards.

I will provide an update when all is said 'n' done so the next person asking for Insurance advice can refer this thread.

Thanks again, and please keep the suggestions coming as there is a while to go before anything is finalized.

CheerZ
    Vincent

8. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Yes, Hagerty does have a mileage and storage restrictions, but you should call them directly. It is wrong that you need to be a member of FCA.

I would try Amica as mentioned, they cover Ferrari's; imo, one of the best, along with USAA. Try Chubb, and Grundy too. I am sure you will find one. Move on with your agent and find another one. Think you will only need an agent with Chubb, others I mentioned you deal with them directly. Good luck.

9. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    My Hagerty policy did not have a mileage restriction for a 1983 400i. It also had an agreed value amount. Chubb was good for all of my insurance but it started out at a small premium price to other policies but then kept escalating every year despite no claims until it got uncompetitive.

10. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Can anyone response to this? I can see where stated value may be better if you suffer a total loss, but since the stated value is obviously going to be higher than say NADA average retail, it seems to me that if you suffer damage to your car the threshold for totaling it would be higher for the stated value policy. Thus given the same damage, the ordinary policy might total the car ant pay you something like NADA Average value. The stated value policy could result in having the car fixed but now you have a car for which I thing you would be hard pressed to get NADA average value for. Seems to me that unless the value of the repaired car is still higher than what the ordinary insurance would pay you can loose with a stated value policy unless there is a total loss.

11. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    Call Morgan Duffy at HWI Motorsports Insurance. He is an Fchat sponsor.

I'm biased, he's my agent and his coverage is flawless. He's a car guy and his business is a bit of a boutique for high-end cars (from my Ferraris to race cars to the actual Batmobile).

[email protected]

He covers agreed value, has Grade A insurance options and gets it. He lives in MA but covers us here in CT. He's also a no-BS guy so if his stuff is overkill, he'll be first to tell you where to go for Plan B.

He structures his coverage specifically to address the common issues faced with exotics/expensive cars - eg. restoration, diminished value, agreed value, etc etc that most regular companies really don't when the chips are down

12. DadsFerrari

DadsFerrari Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    New England
    Full Name:
    Mister M
    I know the classic car insurance companies share underwriters, yet the premiums can differ. I think American Modern Home underwrites a few, and I have found Heacock Classic to be the lowest and offers great service. They also offer quarterly installments, where others want it all up front.. for high value cars, I would use installments. Heacock can offer 1k,or ,maybe 2500 miles a year.

American Collectors is good and they have no cap. An 80s Ferrari worth 25k is 300 bucks a year.