Best "rest stops" on I84 to I90. | FerrariChat

Best "rest stops" on I84 to I90.

Discussion in 'New England' started by John_K_348, Apr 30, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Planning a trip soon and wanted to know where people stop going west from Boston. Whoops, make that I90 to I84 to I80

Thanks,

John.

2. BluNart

BluNart Karting

Jul 2, 2013
    New England, USA
    Full Name:
    Blu
    Exit 9 Sturbridge. Lots of great local restaurants and only an hour from Boston most days. Give a PM when your dates are settled. I'll journey that way and show you some good spots. Plenty of good parking too

3. gurslo

gurslo Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Depends how far you can drive without stopping.
    Food, gas, easy off - easy on stops would be...
    Manchester, CT. - is built up with many options, but can be busy.
    West Hartford, CT. - has a mall area with options, but can be busy.
    Southbury, CT. - has smaller strip mall type areas, they also can be busy.
    Danbury, CT. - has a large mall area...also can be busy. Once you pass Danbury your into NY.

Timing will determine how hassle free the stops are. Another option if you plan to travel at a peak travel time is I-84W, X-57(HFD) to I-91S, X-18(Meriden) to I-691W, back to I-84W. On this path Rocky Hill has options. HFD and W.HFD are bottle necks at rush hour.

4. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I make that trip in reverse occasionally, I84 to I90 driving up to Mass from NJ.

I've made a few stops (Frank Pepe's, Nardelli's), looking for a few more for my next trip!!!

5. DadsFerrari

DadsFerrari Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    New England
    Full Name:
    Mister M
    apparently the exit at UCONN on 84 in Tolland CT is quite popular... I was there and heard stories about it being huge with the NYC to NE travellers. First off there is a wine store with insane closeout deals on top champagne bottle. And below that store is a .... Gents club etc... and no I did not go to it :D

6. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    #6 Alpintourer, May 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I use an iPhone ap called iExit. Gives you everything you need to know within 1.5 mi of any Interstate Exit in the USA. You can customize it for your favorite fast food joints hotel chain and gas station. Best if your passenger is using it of course!

iExit
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. mulo rampante

mulo rampante Formula Junior

May 31, 2011
    Terra Incognita
    Full Name:
    Charles
    All in Northeastern CT:

Rein's Deli in Vernon CT is the real deal, NY style and better than most places I've eaten at in Manhattan. Well regarded by the locals and it's very close to I-84.

Tons of stuff in Manchester, Adams Mill is quite good for lunch and I can park the Ferrari there without concern. Probably 1 mile from exit 74... worth googling IMO. Avoid the malls and their so-called restaurants where your meal comes from a #10 can.

An interesting place is the Traveler Restaurant in Union CT. Food is good -- not great gourmet dining, but it's also a bookstore... you get a free book with your meal. Fun place if you're into that sort of thing. (I already got the copy of Original Ferrari V8, but you never know what will turn up.)

I agree with BluNart on Sturbridge... lots there.

The only other thing I'll mention is to mind your speed from Danbury CT into NY State... the first 50 or so miles into NYS are heavily monitored -- much more than I90 between Boston and Auburn, for example.

I don't know anything about dining in NY State along the 84 corridor... I always drive straight through.

8. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    Not dining related, but I 84 related..

I just came thru 84 last week, and in Port Jervais at the NY PA line, there is bridge construction, and they are also building a crossover for future work, so it is 1 lane each way for about 10 miles, and can get backed up.

FYI