Driving Trip | FerrariChat

Driving Trip

Discussion in 'New England' started by sdavies88, Jun 20, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sdavies88

sdavies88 Karting

Jun 9, 2009
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Full Name:
    Steve Davies
    My wife and I (355) along with 2 other Ferraris (360 spiders) are going on a week long drive from Nova Scotia through New England and will be in Newport 2-4 July. Were we're thinking of t least doing a mansion drive. Looking for thoughts on some activities for that time.

Thx

2. Tim1137

Tim1137 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2011
    Providence - Boston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I frequent Newport all the time 10+ times per summer. I'll give you my advice from personal experience.

- Find yourself one of the 3 Empire Tea locations, and order bubble tea. Its an awesome treat. The main location also has Mochi, a nice icecream dessert.

- Do the mansion drive, stop at the big park along the water, and if your feeling adventurous, take a walk back past the line of trees ( near the open field area where people fly kites) and explore the ruins of an old "haunted" horse stable. Go a little further back, and there is an old watch tower with stairs leading to the top. you can see the ocean from the top above the line of trees. There are plenty of places to walk along the rocks and beaches on the shore across the street from this park as well.

- visit Fort Adams. It isn't much, but the view of the harbor is nice. It is on the way to the mansions, can't miss the entrance.

- There should be fireworks the night of the 4th right at the harbor. Get a good spot early. Everywhere fills up fast.

- do your research on restaurant reviews. Many restaurants appear nice and high class, when in reality they are overpriced crap. I was just at Pier 49, supposedly a higher class restaurant there, on the water, beautiful looking. Boy did I wish I read the reviews first! Awful!

- Cliffwalk is a great place to stroll along the cliff and watch the water and people down at the beach.

- Purgatory Chasm is a great spot as well, right next to second beach. Very small parking lot, not a Ferrari friendly entrance either. It is a turn off one of the main roads with just a small wood sign pointing it out. After you get there, walk through the wooded path 1000 ft. or so and it opens up into a huge cliff with a breathtaking view.

- Lots of bars and great nightlife. A lot of Irish bars in particular. I recommend The Fastnet, and Midtown.

Hope that helps!

3. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    America's oldest 4th of July parade will be going on a few towns over from Newport in Bristol R.I. Check out july4thbristolri.com