What does your wife drive? | FerrariChat

What does your wife drive?

Discussion in 'New England' started by Falcon, Sep 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Falcon

Falcon Formula 3

Aug 19, 2008
    New England Region
    Full Name:
    Falcon
    My wife's Audi is near the end, its time for a replacement. She doesn't want another Audi and is talking about returning to Subaru. I don't want her driving a Subaru if I have Jags and a Ferrari. It makes me feel selfish. So she has agreed to a Mercedes but I'm afraid it will have as many problems as the Audi. She wants 4 doors and AWD. What should I have her test drive?

2. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    Subarus are great cars and great awd. Barring that maybe a Volvo?

3. Peter Tabmow

Peter Tabmow Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    Wait for the new WRX and get her that... then everyone will envy her instead of you...

4. gurslo

gurslo Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Dean you have great taste, but wouldn't it be more selfish to have your wife drive a car you want her to drive, instead of the car she would like?

I grew up listening to my mother who never knew what she could be driving one week to the next. My father would wheel and deal in everything, some nights come home and say, "I sold your car today". He would have cars sold before he had them. I wish I had his nac.

I realize this is Subaru marketing, but they claim to have a very safe vehicle in their "they lived" commercials.

Caddy???AWD.

5. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    My wife has had two Mercedes S550's. Both with AWD. No problems in the snow and no maintenance or technical problems. We have been very satisfied. Would buy another next time also.

6. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    My wife loves her 4WD BMW wagon.

7. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    MB E with 4matic. She loves it, especially in the winter. I've offered her whatever car she wants and she keeps going back to this. It's her 4th one.

8. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    #8 F SPIDER, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Wife loves her SLK, but for a four door Benz, I second the E-class suggestion. Have seen a few around town, and they're classy looking IMO in black, grey, etc. Mars Red ones look sporty! Can't speak to reliability, but wife's Benz has been a champ thus far, albeit we've had it only 1+ year from new...T

10. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    My wife splits her driving duties between a 2013 Honda CR-V AWD, and her toy, a Detonator Yellow 2011 Jeep Wrangler 6-speed.

11. GaryR

GaryR Formula 3

Dec 11, 2006
    Valencia, Spain
    Full Name:
    Gary R.
    Just went through this for a replacement for her 335i convertible. She tried the M235, M4, Audi TTS, and finally a Porsche Boxster. Loved the Boxster, took it home.

12. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    twin turbo, power retractable hardtop. any problems with this car or just time for change?

13. GaryR

GaryR Formula 3

Dec 11, 2006
    Valencia, Spain
    Full Name:
    Gary R.
    Just time for something new, it's my new daily driver! :D
    Picked it up Euro delivery in 07, been a great car..

14. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    ... me crazy.

15. Mon the fish

Mon the fish Karting

Dec 27, 2013
    Z4 and 530d estate. We live in Aberdeenshire, where we get serious snow each year, and we don't feel the need for 4wd. Winter tyres do us just fine

16. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    My wife was tired of driving a SUV and wanted a sedan.
    We need an SUV for pulling the boat......

We sold the X5 and she ended up getting a Mercedes E350 and I ended up buying a Tundra.
    The X5 didn't do that well towing anyways and the Tundra is AWESOME.

I still have my BMW 535 XI but find myself driving the truck more and more often.

I have to say I am not a fan of the Merc. Its not a great driving car as far as Im concerned but she loves it.

- Ron Frohock

17. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    My wife drives a GL450. Its the second one and from what i can see mercdes is not the car it once was. The dealership has a nice cappuchino machine if that si important, but they cant balance wheels.

We drive the Gl because for a big suv it seems the best choice out there, but after my Mb experiences I would not necessarily buy one of their cars if there were equiv product options elsewhere.

people do love the E class, but then why not get a 5 series BMW if its a sedan you want. Our next car for wife is probably a Grand Cherokee v8. far less $$$ for an equiv vehicle which is likely to be more reliable.

18. AVFPolo

AVFPolo Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Porsche Cayenne S

- Ed -

19. FJS961

FJS961 Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2008
    West Hartford,, CT
    Full Name:
    Frank
    fortunately ... I don't have a wife anymore!!! :D

She used to drive an X5 but freaked out about having to take it into Hartford for service (don't ask). She wanted something from a dealer up the street so I traded it in for a Toyota Highlander on a lease and got 12K cash out of deal.

20. GaryR

GaryR Formula 3

Dec 11, 2006
    Valencia, Spain
    Full Name:
    Gary R.
    She went from a BMW to a friggin Toyota and was happy? She must have been a card shy of a full deck!

21. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    She has 3.
    A 245,000 mile Toyota Echo, a Mazda 5, a MB c230 kompressor.
    She gets very attached to her cars. That Echo is the best of the bunch, we love it and keep it to kick around in.

22. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    My wife had an '07 S8 for 7 years, she loved that car but her only being on 5'2 she decided too big. Was going to get an S7 or MB E series but ended up with Ghibli S4 and she loves it. 8 months , 6k miles and no problems so far...

23. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    My experience in choosing a car for the wife is that reliability is most important...that has always led me to Japanese cars for her, with a Honda Fit being her current choice.

Happily, she has never asked for an "expensive" car...such cars don't mean anything to her.

24. GaryR

GaryR Formula 3

Dec 11, 2006
    Valencia, Spain
    Full Name:
    Gary R.
    Wish my wife felt like that, but at least she lives with her cars for 7 years at a time so it's not too bad... and Euro delivery gives us an excuse to go to Europe as we convince each other what a "savings" it is! LOL

25. philS

philS Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2008
    Metrowest MA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    X3 - she loves it.