3M vs Xpel ultimate | FerrariChat

3M vs Xpel ultimate

Discussion in 'New England' started by 2Veloce, Mar 20, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2Veloce

2Veloce Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2014
    annapolis, maryland
    Full Name:
    Al
    Picking up my 15 spider this saturday at miller motor cars. Debating whether to have the clear bra ( front end plus rocker) done at Miller Motor cars or a private shop down here in annapolis md ( where i live). Having car shipped to my home. Any thoughts of the work Miller Motor car does. They prefer 3M, my guys and a lot of people on Fchat prefer Xpe ultimate l Any thoughts...thanks

2. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    You'll save some dollars doing the clear bra away from the dealer. Make sure the installer has a good rep with references. As far as 3M Venturashield vs XPel I have used both on various cars. They are both excellent. XPel seems to be the latest and greatest but I feel they are both comparable. Definitely have the entire front end with rocker panels done. You won't be sorry.

3. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Have 3M on one of our cars...I had Xpel ultimate put on our 14 Cayman S. I like the Xpel far more. Definitely, use someone outside the dealer. I've rarely seen work done by dealers and been impressed (a few use very good installers, but in the past I've had Porsche and MB dealers that used very average installers at best and it showed). With the Cayman I got recommendations and checked Xpels website. I am really impressed with the work that was done on our last car. Find out who the best detail shop is in the area for exotics and get their recommendation...also Xpel's (and probably 3m) website will tell you who their certified installers are.

4. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    I just purchased a new car and did the comparisons, again, as am too particular with my cars.

3M's latest film is called Pro, it replaces Ventureshield, which is older technology. My other cars, have Ventureshield, Xpel, and Suntek. To me, each is a matter of degrees difference, but Xpel is the best. Much depends on, the preparation, installation temperature, environment (like some dealerships can be dusty, importantly the installer, car color, whether they use precut or cut from a 60" roll and how car owner takes care of the film. I did try the Pro, and after install did not like the look/color. Maybe a bad batch of film, I don't know. 3M will warranty it for replacement, but will use Xpel to replace it.

I am sure Miller uses an excellent installer, for me, easier to have one stop shopping, then driving it a bit, picking up chips, and then having film installed.

Very best with your new spider, its a outstanding choice.

5. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I agree its easier to do it all in one place, but even some nice places don't use the best installers. The last time we bought a car, I just had the car picked up at the dealer & loaded on a trailer, then dropped off at the detail shop (so no chance of getting chips etc). Clear bra on that was perfect.

6. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005

That's a smart approach too. Often people buy a new car, drive it a 100 miles and find out it got chipped already b4 filming. You never know about installers, but Miller has a very good one.

7. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    Anybody knows the work of Automobilia Auto Salon as far as installing films?

8. Joe_CT

Joe_CT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 16, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I don't know anything about Automobilia Auto Salon.

I use Protection Plus out of East Longmeadow, MA exclusively. They did 3M on all of my cars and they came out flawlessly (any you know how picky I am about perfection). They will also come to your house if you have a clean work environment (that was a must for me to do business with them). Here is their contact info (ask for Paul):

Protection Plus
    171 Shaker Road
    East Longmeadow, MA 01028
    Phone: (413) 525-6200
    email: [email protected]
    Protection Film for your vehicle

9. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Ques for OP, did you decide on a wrap &/ or an installer, Or did take car to MD?

10. 996cupracer

996cupracer Karting

Jan 12, 2006
    Westport, CT
    As soon as you get that awesome car, you will be dying to drive it. And you may get stone chips in the time it takes to get the film installed. The tires are wide and sticky and prone to picking up stones. I drove one of my race cars after repainting and prior to being protected and regretted it thereafter! Miller is a first class dealer and the work there is very good. Another option: have the car delivered right to the film installer. GLWC. I believe I saw it there and it is spectacular!! Lucky man.

11. myslow1

myslow1 Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2006
    Westbrook, CT
    Full Name:
    Craig
    I'm having my car done there this week. They are very experienced factory trained installers for Xpel and for Ceramic Pro products. They can even wrap the edges so you don't see any film lines anywhere. They also have one of the best automatic touchless tire changers to handle your wheels with care. Very professional and they are perfectionists. If you aren't happy, they aren't happy. They treat your car as if it was their own. Also very easy to talk to. Just do what I did, call them and then arrange a time to meet them at their shop to check out their facilities, see some examples of their work and to let them see your car and discuss what you want to have done. Their web page is:

Automobilia Auto Salon | Detailing, Hand Car Wash, Paint Protection, Window Tint, Wheels | West Haven, Connecticut

You can also see many pictures of their finished work and work in progress on the Facebook Page and Instagram, etc. (links are at the bottom of their web page).

12. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    thks, that is helpful. I will do that this month. I hope they would not keep the car too long.

13. myslow1

myslow1 Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2006
    Westbrook, CT
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Mine should be done within a week, so they do it pretty quickly. The other thing of note is that they do all of the Xpel installations with the car on a lift so that it is always at eye level while being worked on and it makes it a lot easier to do the wheels inside and out too.

I'm sure they would love to see your car and have an opportunity to work on it. They are real car guys. All of their business is by word of mouth from their satisfied customers and they focus on people like us who are also meticulous about our cars. I mentioned our Glastonbury gathering and they will probably join us there on occasion too.

14. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    +1 for these guys, they did my '15 STI...spent way more time than normal to make sure it was perfect. I'll use them on my next Ferrari :D

15. rickrack

rickrack Rookie

Dec 9, 2005
    Wakefield. MA
    Full Name:
    Rick Nelson
    I own a detail shop in Boston/MA and do lots of clear bra installs.

I was using the 3M/Ventureshield product for a while, but completely switched to the Xpel Ultimate film, which is far superior in my opinion. It has great clarity, no orange peel and has a clearcoat topcoat.

The best thing about this particular film is that is has self-healing properties if you happen to scratch it at some point. Any type of heat (sunlight, engine heat, hot water, etc. will promote the self healing and the scratches will disappear. It also has great UV protection and will not discolor, fade or get cloudy like other films on the market. Most films look great when first installed, but typically degrade not even a year later. This film is backed with a 10 year warranty.

One thing that I did notice with the 3m/Ventureshield is when bugs, sap, bird mess or stuff from trees remained on the surface for a couple days, the film would "etch" and I was unable to remove the etching. This is the main reason I switched to the Xpel Ultimate. It is extremely durable and you can even use lacquer thinner on the film without it eating the topcoat.

Here's a video showing Xpels self-healing properties: http://youtu.be/fUqzFvRw4-A

I perform mostly fully custom install instead of using pre-cut kits. Pre-cut kits typically have lots of critical areas that don't get covered and are prone to stone damage, not to mention lots of unnecessary seams. By performing a fully custom install, we use bulk film and are able to have all seams very close to any openings (park distance sensors, reflectors, headlights, foglights, etc.) for a cleaner install with added coverage. In addition, all edges are completely wrapped over (hood, fenders, etc.). I would find a shop who offers custom installs in order to have minimal seams.

Once the installation is complete, I usually apply a paint protection film sealant to protect the film against bugs, bird mess, tree sap, etc., even though I have not experienced any problems with the Xpel film staining or etching. I highly recommend going with the Xpel over 3M, hands down..

Good luck and congrats on the new purchase!

16. Zaius

Zaius Formula Junior

May 8, 2014
    No question, Xpel all the way. Don't forget to protect the windshield as well.

17. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    Greg, I just called them. They sound good for their asnwer to my questions. Seems the film would be totally invisible and I am sold on expel at this point.
    Not cheap but the front of the car would be fully covered. and by the way it is not for the Countach, at least not yet. I got some stone chips there already. :(
    It is for my new acquisition. I am gonna stop by to see their work thursday or friday.

18. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    #18 BJK, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
    Just curious, is it standard procedure to do detail/paint correction prior to applying film? I watch quite a few car detailing vids and they always say/show that the paint finish from the factory is far from perfect. It wouldn't make sense to put expensive film over swirl marks etc.

"AMMO NYC" (professional detailer)(no interest/connection) just added new vid on utube "Clear Coat Touch Up & Clear Bra: Carrera GT" (clear bra application at 16:05) cool vid of Carrera GT engine out detailing.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDWWtk-XVtQ

19. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Good question. I have thought about this need too. I'm curious to see what others might say.

I'm going to check out a couple installers in our area (lower NY & CT). Going to look at their shops and see what they have going on. I just had a conversation w/ Xpel main office and it was re-assuring.
    I'm looking at a few weeks to do this, when my car comes in.

20. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  21. myslow1

myslow1 Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2006
    Westbrook, CT
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Your best bet would be to let them look the car over and give you their recommendations of how they would deal with the existing chips prior to applying anything. i just stopped by this afternoon to see how my car is coming along. They started on it today and it should be ready for me to pick up on Saturday. It was up on a hoist already prepped and they were going to start putting some Xpel on this afternoon. Mine is brand new, so no chips to deal with during the prep work. I'm sure you will be pleased with how your Aston Martin turns out. Check mine out while you're there. I'll be back there on Saturday. I'll probably be taking my Porsche to them next. The original 3M stuff on it has yellowed pretty badly, so it's time to give it the Xpel/Ceramic Pro treatment too.

22. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    What time Saturday do you plan going there? PM me then. We could connect and I would go there while you are there if the time of day is good for me.
    Planning to see them Friday late pm at the moment.
    For the Countach, the car needs some respray. It is really far gone and given the value of these things, respray has to be perfect with period correct paint.
    The Aston paint is perfect. The car is like brand new overall and was just detailled by Rocco.

23. myslow1

myslow1 Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2006
    Westbrook, CT
    Full Name:
    Craig
    PM sent.

24. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Any updates?

Which film did op end up with? pleased, not pleased?

Any updates on New Haven Xpel installer? pleased, not pleased?

Thx

25. myslow1

myslow1 Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2006
    Westbrook, CT
    Full Name:
    Craig
    I think you meant West Haven installer (Automobilia Auto Salon)? I couldn't be happier. They did an excellent job and wrapped all the edges as well. Those at the Connecticut Gathering who saw it last Sunday had nothing but compliments for it. I'll be taking another car to them very soon for the same treatment.