i need a restaurant recommendation for a graduation party | FerrariChat

i need a restaurant recommendation for a graduation party

Discussion in 'New England' started by ross, Feb 18, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    my daughter is graduating from MIT in June.
    i need advice on a restaurant for approximately 15 people that would be a fun venue for a graduation party.
    i thought about a booze cruise, but despite the attraction of that, i am looking for alternatives.
    i was thinking maybe a great restaurant on boston harbor somewhere, with views and good food etc.

or, i am open to other ideas.

do you bostonians have any good ideas for me??

2. 308mash

308mash Formula Junior

May 20, 2009
    MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    That's awesome your daughter is finishing MIT, you must be very proud!

Some waterfront restaurants in no particular order of recommendation. Not sure how well they all can handle a party of 15 but they are all good.
    Strega Waterfront
    Sam’s
    Rowes Wharf Sea Grille
    Del Frisco’s Double Eagle Steak House

Also, there's the Top of The Hub restaurant in the Prudential building, the typical top of skyscraper restaurant with great views of the city (on a clear day). Food is ok but $$$$.

Not sure which of the booze cruise boats are the best, some can get really rowdy and crowded according to my son. There is one that cruises to Provincetown on the Cape but that's a 90 minute trip each way I think.

If all else fails come to my house and we'll fire up the grill and hang by the pool, maybe take a ride in my 458 while the kids are partying, lol

I see you spend time in Geneva, my son is there now doing a physics program at Univ Geneva and Cern, I'm hoping to get over there in July.

3. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    thanks for those. looked at rowes wharf, might go for that.

btw, thanks for the offer of your backyard - the food would probably be better, but dunno if everyone would appreciate the two of us talking cars and ignoring them all evening ! ;)
    if you need any advice about stuff in geneva or switzerland, let me know.

4. 308mash

308mash Formula Junior

May 20, 2009
    MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    thank you, I will

5. CornellCars

CornellCars Formula 3

Mar 24, 2005
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Jason
  6. Anthony James

Anthony James Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
    +1 on Del Frisco’s Double Eagle Steak House. Good atmosphere for a younger crowd.
    +1 on Strega Waterfront.
    +1 On the back yard.

7. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    what do you guys think of the 'meritage' restaurant?

8. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I haven't been to Meritage yet, but I know from several other foodie friends that it is excellent. We do have to get there. Another good possibility on the waterfront is Legal Seafood.

I would dissuade you from Strega Waterfront. Here is a review I wrote for this place. I know it's 4 years old but I have no reason to believe it has made a drastic turnaround -

“Overpriced and underdelivers”

2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

I'll start with the positives. The staff are all very congenial. The decor and table settings are very elegant. Good wine selection and reasonably priced. The restrooms were clean.

It was pretty much downhill from there. We started with appetizers. My wife had the Grilled Shrimp wrapped in bacon served on a half pineapple. The shrimp was overcooked/grilled, and lacked any flavor (in spite of the bacon). The pineapple, drizzled with balsamic vinegar, was good. I had the Eggplant Rollatini. We order this regularly in Italian restaurants and this is the worst we have tasted. The main problem is there was no taste, very bland sauce. It was also overcooked, the eggplant was not firm.

My wife had the Short Ribs served on a bed of pasta with pieces of lobster. I hesitate to put this in writing since we don't know for sure, but she swears the lobster pieces were out of a can. Even if they weren't, the pieces were so limp and soggy they were in her words "like baby food". The second mortal sin was the pasta was so overcooked it made Chef Boyardee pasta seem like al dente. The meat was acceptable quality, but was not particularly flavorful.

I had the Swordfish Special. The presentation was excellent. The grilled vegetables were crisp and good. The swordfish itself was good, but the accompanying sauce lacked any flavor. The entrees were priced at $40 and $39 respectively.

We shared the Ricotta Pie for desert. It was a good size portion, much too sweet for our liking, but that is purely personal taste.

A couple other admittedly nitpicky points, but they detracted from the overall dining experience. The waiter never brought us bread and did not light the candle on our table. Also, Strega Waterfront is on the waterfront, but don't expect to be seeing much of it from your table. The total tab with tip was $180. Sorry, but the value simply wasn't there. We will not return for a meal, but the bar area is very attractive and we would go there for a drink in the future. Also the outside bar area looked like a nice spot for a drink on a summer night.

Visited May 2012

9. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    Congratulations!

10. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I echo what Paul said about Strega. I was there last summer, and did a large business dinner while at a conference. Service was good, but I can't remember one thing I ate. Except the eggplant rollatini, which was meh. Not bad food, but nothing stood out. Grill 23, where I went with the wife the night before, I can recall almost everything we ate and it was great. Service impeccable. That would be a place I'd go back to again, and would recommend...T

11. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    I haven't been to No Name in many years but the last time I went it was tiny and in no way set up to have a proper graduation party. Superb seafood, yes, great party location, no.

Congrats to ross's daughter!

PS: I take back what I said about No Name after seeing those pictures on the link. Totally different than what I remember. Looks not fancy but potentially comfortable.

12. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    We went to Meritage last summer with another couple (and we all eat out quite a bit). The service was good and if you get a table by the window you have a nice view. However, we didn't love the food. The presentation of the food is really nice, but I've had food that I enjoyed more and thought tasted better, elsewhere. I also thought the portions were a too stingy (and I'm not some 250 lb football player who eats his weight in food).

If I were choosing a place in Boston and it had to be on the Waterfront, I'd probably go with Del Frisco's Double Eagle Steakhouse. Too many places you pay for the view, and the food is mediocre to average.

Good luck and congrats to your daughter and your family.

13. FPFaeth

FPFaeth Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Frank Faeth
    If you can travel a bit to RI, go to the Ocean House in Watch Hill. Exquisite food and accommodations. Well worth staying overnight. And if your daughter likes country music, you can just see Taylor Swift's home, which used to belong to Frank Sinatra's wife.

14. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    thanks for your help guys, and yes i am grateful for my brilliant daughter too !

i would love to go newport, but its too far for the other events that surround the graduation weekend.

we were just about to book the meritage .... before i saw the del frisco's suggestion. i will look it up. i have been to del frisco's in ny so i guess they are the same. is the location as good? water views?

15. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yes, it's in a good location and has excellent views of the harbor. As does Legal Seafood Harborside which is in the same building.

16. hennabav

hennabav Rookie

Aug 28, 2011
    USA
    If you want steak, I have to recommend Abe & Louie right on Boylston. They serve top notch steak and have some seafood dishes as well. I'm sure they can cater to your party of 15. Congratulations to your daughter.....It's quite an achievement!

17. rkljr

rkljr Formula Junior

May 16, 2011
    South of Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Congratulations to your daughter!

I agree on Strega, I used to work in in the building and thus went there now and then. If it were not so close, I would have gone elsewhere. It is not bad but you pay a lot for what you get.

In June, I would go for some place alone the waterfront. There are two Legal Seafoods, the harbor side is on the water and on a nice night it is a great place to dine. Rowes Grille is nice but I would not pick it for a graduation party.

18. Muftah

Muftah Karting

Mar 3, 2012
    Boston, Ma
    Full Name:
    Muftah
    #18 Muftah, Feb 28, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
    Ross,

Congratulations for your daughter's achievement!

My favorite is Abe & Louie's; great food but no water views, and the atmosphere is less suitable for a graduation party.

I agree with:
    * Del Frisco's...Great food and nice ambiance for the graduation party.
    And I love their Bone in filet.
    * Legal Harborside.. It's next door to Del, I haven't been there specifically, but I am sure it's great sea food and nice water views.

Cheers,

Muftah

19. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    This

20. DadsFerrari

DadsFerrari Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    New England
    Full Name:
    Mister M
    I would suggest a locale with a private room... I am a value guy, not a surprise after dealing with the costs of exotic car ownership hehe

On the water, off 93- Venezia Restaurant

Near North Station, North ENd- West End Johnies
    Private Red Room has Presidential Memorabilia

Mistral, Wine Cellar Room
    Mooo, same
    Sonsies on Newbury Street, same

21. felkind

felkind Karting

Jul 20, 2015
    Nashua, NH
    Full Name:
    Fred
    +1 for the No Name Restaurant. It is on the smaller side so you'd have to give them a call. Food is excellent and prices are reasonable.

22. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Abe and Louis is the best steak house in Boston. I'm not sure it is the best place for a graduation party though. I think I would go toward the waterfront for that and there's plenty of great choices presented above.
    I guess where I'm getting hung up is the word party. A great dinner is different from what I would coincider a great place to host a party.

23. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
  24. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    #24 19633500GT, Mar 16, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
    Mooo (Beacon Hill) for steak

Island Creek Oyster House (Kenmore) for seafood

One of my best friend's suggestions, as he lives in the middle of it all haha.

25. vvvmd

vvvmd F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2003
    close to the Hub
    Full Name:
    Victor Villarreal
    Congrats on your daughter!!
    Grill 23 is great for steaks as well.
    Friend of ours owns a few restaraunts in Boston, LA, and DC.
    He likes Grill 23 for steaks. Not one of his places