CT: 348 fails emissions for gas cap? | FerrariChat

CT: 348 fails emissions for gas cap?

Discussion in 'New England' started by jlclt348, Aug 12, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jlclt348

jlclt348 Karting

Jul 7, 2013
    Ridgefield, CT
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I took my 348 in for emissions testing prior to getting my CT registration. Car passed the smog, but failed gas cap because they didn't have a testing device of the correct size? Has anyone heard of this before? Thanks.

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Out of interest why are they interested in testing the fuel tank cap and what sort of test are they doing ?As far as i know it is not done in uk

3. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    #3 itsablurr, Aug 12, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
    I'm not sure how an absence of proper equipment on their part should mandate a fail on your part. If i understand correctly, the intention of whatever test they're running is to verify that the cap seals adequately, in order to allow venting through the evaporative emissions equipment on the car (pressure/rollover valve, charcoal canister system). I'd say that the rush of air that follows unscrewing the cap after a short drive should be evidence enough of proper cap function and, barring the presence of their 'test equipment', give me the damn sticker. As far as the evap system goes, I don't think I've ever heard of an actual test routine, rather just a visual presence check if anything at all.

4. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    #4 fastradio, Aug 12, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
    Yes, of course. Here's the requirement.
    Gas Cap Pressure Leak Test « CT Emissions

So..either the car has a non-standard cap or the station does not have the correct adapter. My advice would be to go to another station that is more "Ferrari-friendly"

5. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    So is Miller the shop that failed you?

6. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I have the same problem with my 355. No adapter. But they pass it anyway.

7. jlclt348

jlclt348 Karting

Jul 7, 2013
    Ridgefield, CT
    Full Name:
    Justin
    No, this was a local shop in New Milford CT, next to Auto Tourismo. I'll try again at another shop. Taking a car to Miller is a major time commitment for me - always the last resort.

8. jlclt348

jlclt348 Karting

Jul 7, 2013
    Ridgefield, CT
    Full Name:
    Justin
    OK, so there is an adapter - that's good to know. The tech was young and I don't think he 100% knew what he was doing. I think I can still register the car with the fail on it.

9. jlclt348

jlclt348 Karting

Jul 7, 2013
    Ridgefield, CT
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Fyi... I was able to get a permanent plate even with the failed gas cap.