26yr old pours heart out to y'all Ferrari owners. Guidance? | FerrariChat

26yr old pours heart out to y'all Ferrari owners. Guidance?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Hungry, Mar 1, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hungry

Hungry Rookie

Mar 1, 2014
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Hi all from Texas !

My name is John.
    I come here like a young man wishing not just for a Ferrari but the success y'all have. I come from severe poverty growing up. Did my homework for school in candle light many a time cause the utilities were past due. Not quite the sob story to me though cause as Buffet said I still feel as if I won the lottery by being born in the U.S. Others have had it harder then me too so I don't pity myself but do recognize my hardships.

I'm willing to bet that all of you Ferrari owners had your will power tested in some ways too. What I really came here for is for guidance and advice.

My details:

-Born to rough ghetto but denied that lifestyle, accent, look, and attitude.
    -Spent some time in the ARMY & Iraq (I'm a patriot at heart)
    -Graduated recently with a BBA in Finance
    -2 months out of school and no career yet:(

Time from time I see a Ferrari drive by and yes I look and stare just as everyone else does but then everyone else continues walking or what ever it is they are doing... I don't. I fall back into deep thought about how I long for that lifestyle. Not the craftsmanship of that fine machine but the care freeness. Grant it the person may be running a stressful business to earn it but I am talking about the care freeness of money worries. The care freeness of having all your bases covered and with quality I might add.

I recently thought I make take up a salesman position at a Mercedes Benz dealership to amass capital for 5-10 years. In doing this I could then move on to real estate or partnering up to form a private equity firm(Microsoft excel and I are now best friends:)) anyway the main goal is to go into sales within the next month and take on the entrepreneurial role I've been playing my whole life beginning with selling chocolate bars to my classmates in grade school.
    Truth be told my background has instilled a hunger in me. I want the lifestyle y'all have so bad. I want the respect.

So I come to a question. I feel as if I need a mentor. No I am not asking to bother anyone of y'all. I am simply asking if y'all had mentors? All my new friends want to do is go out, party, drink, and chase women... I want to make money! I want to find a craft and hone it, become the best I can be, I want to be productive more and more each day.

Let me tell you what I do not want:

- I don't want to settle for a 150k 3 bedroom home
    -I don't want to spend the next 40 years hoping I get to retire with enough to last me till I die.
    -I don't want a nice BMW as my trophy car
    ---- those are things to be grateful for but I just want more.

Everyone in my family lives paycheck to paycheck, why, because of their spending mindset. The actions that put them into situations that restrict their potential (regarding my family not y'all's or the rest if the world) I choose not to be like that. I want success, and I want the ear mark that comes with it....... The Ferrari

You have here a young male in his mid 20's with no wife, no kids, and a hunger that is so real you can see it. Is there any advice you care to give me?
    If so please post a response or IM me for my contact info. All I want is in, so that maybe 30 years from now I'll be able to afford the ear mark, the Ferrari.

-John

2. Hungry

Hungry Rookie

Mar 1, 2014
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Any advice? Btw if I had to pick a model it would be the Berlinetta. So classy. Thanks
    -John

3. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Welcome, John. :)

I'll let others offer specific advice, as I'm not yet settled into a career yet either. :eek:

All the best,
    Andrew.

4. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    Hi, John,

Lot of folks don't visit the new members section with any regularity, so this query might go unanswered if it rests here. You may want to:

1- first, do a search of the website- there have been a lot of questions from guys (and gals) who have had similar questions. A good number of people come looking for advice on whether or not to buy a Ferrari, when the time is right (e.g., have they earned enough, should they have other priorities, etc.) or looking for career advice. you can find a lot of insight and things to consider

2 - I am only a member, so I make nothing to suggest you subscribe and then scan the Business & Investments section. You are a business guy, and a lot will depend on what aspect of the private sector you want to pursue, and the goals you have in mind (you have listed some, but would want to reflect at much greater depth re the "ideal" job and what starting point might get you there).

3 - the Other Off Topic is also available to non-subscribed folks, so you could use that instead of this thread.

4 - keep your dreams alive. When things drag, get tough, or when you have setbacks (which you will) you want to still have high-value goals to shoot for. A tangible asset, especially one as ridiculous as a Ferrari, wants to be one of those things that is a reward for hard work, growing personally and professionally, and then having the money to buy one only after you have a solid 401 plus disposable savings, plus some level of security re where you are living (nothing wrong with owning a condo or house, etc., it also makes sense for tax purposes).

5 - start small, dream big. Lots of people want to be CEO's; only those who put in the time, keep a positive perspective, and will relentlessly work to make themselves more valuable and marketable will get there.

6 - find someone to love, and who will love you back as strongly as you do him or her. In this regard, don't rush, don't "settle" for someone who is OK, but doesn't really have long-term prospects, don't select someone and hope to "fix" them to make them perfect, and understand that lust and passion give way to love and affection- if it doesn't, it turns to dislike and enmity.

7 - find a person in your field of interest and seek to interview them- buy them coffee or lunch and just ask them how they got where they are, and how you can follow a similar path. Then, look for mentors in your physical space and establish a relationship so you have someone to use as a sounding board

8 - be open to possibilities- try out internships, try out hobbies and interests that may expand your horizons. Travel and meet people, work on your social skills and how to create rapport with people from a variety of backgrounds.

9 - since you're young, I'd also say to learn a second language, especially if you are interested in international business. Spanish in the Southwest, Mandarin and perhaps German if you are interested in European employment.

I started out low blue collar in urban LA; worked my butt off, and thought many times I'd never get there. I had setback after setback, had two promotions I earned cut out of the organizations' budget before I got the job, had a messy divorce, and then started to figure things out and get my momentum. It will seem at times like you'll never get there. Unless you plan, and then persist, it won't.

That's all I have; good luck, and think about focusing on your goals, creating a five-year vision of where you want to be (specifically), then, take the first steps to get there.

5. Dogdish

Dogdish Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2005
    Denver
    John,

There are a lot of smart people on this forum. They should be chiming in soon.

As a salesman, maybe read 'Body Language' by Allen and Barbara Pease as a start.

Stay out of debt.

Bill

6. buzzpics

buzzpics Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2013
    Frisco Tx
    Im 27 and just purchased my first Ferrari last year. One thing that my older brother said when I was a little kid that just stuck with me was, "The key to happiness is to be content with what you have." You can always have more. There is no shortage of want. When you realize that you can start to put things in perspective and figure out which life goals are more important than others.

Another big thing is to LEARN money. Be able to talk money and investments. Also, look at the crowd with which you associate. You are the group you hang out with. If your friends spend Friday night at the bar picking up girls, chances are, you spend Friday night picking up girls with them. If your friends spend their weekends pursing the same dreams you have, then you're on the right track, and in the right company.

7. Hungry

Hungry Rookie

Mar 1, 2014
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    #7 Hungry, Mar 2, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
    Admin can you plz move this thread to the Business and Investments section. I will do my best to remain off your radar from here out thanks.
    (edit): oh just found out I need a subscribed account.

Neurobeaker -
    Thanks Andrew I wish you the best as well.

Ebobh15 -
    Thanks for all of the valuable input, I will take my language goal more seriously as the more tongues I speak the more business conversations I'll have.

Dogsish -
    I shall take up your suggestion and purchase "Body Language". I actually buy audio books through Amazon so I can listen to them through the Audible app while I cook, clean, etc. I find it to be an effective way to make use of time doing otherwise brainless tasks. As for staying out of debt you are all to right! what good is a 12 ROI retern on my investment if I'm paying an outrageous APR on cards, cars, etc.

buzzpics -
    Buzz you have a very good point about hanging with like minded individuals. One of my old friends that is accomplished and making his way told me that my net income is about the average of the group of people I hang out with.

Thanks for the input.

8. Hungry

Hungry Rookie

Mar 1, 2014
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Just brainstorming today I will be working on acquiring some licenses (about 4) in the next 3-4 months.

Series 6
    Series 63
    Maybe a series 7

Real Estate,
    I want my hand in this pie too