So my buddy pulls in with a 930 | FerrariChat

So my buddy pulls in with a 930

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SMOKE, Mar 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SMOKE

SMOKE Rookie

Nov 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Last October my friend David swung into my driveway with a '79 - '80, 930: a stunning brown, original paint, excellent interior, sweetie with history. Turns out our friend Don recently acquired the car at auction for David as an "investment". Well, I hop in and we spin over to Don's garage, Don is a serious car guy, a gentleman and a good friend. Don is storing David's Porsche on an oriental carpet among some other notable vehicles for the winter and a Bentley Continental GT in BRG catches my eye. "It's for sale Joe, $72k. Here are the keys, take it for a spin." Off we went, not bad, nice but lacking the raw soul of the Porsche and a bit too institutional.

Some will say I am obsessive and compulsive, believe that can be helpful at times, in any case my nature compelled me toward the internet, looking for a car to thrill in the price range Don mentioned.

My bride is wise to my behavior; my attention to the internet and the cars flashing across the screen prepared her for the inevitable. At breakfast the next day she asked if I bought a car overnight. "Of course not dear that would be impulsive."

On the way to work that day and armed with what I considered a suggestion and tacit approval from the chair, a slight, actually rather wide, detour was made, and to Aston Martin of New England in search of a Vanquish V12 I did go. Steve, the owner greeted me in a welcoming way. I asked unabashedly whether or not he had the vehicle I desired. Steve indicated that while he did not have a '07 Vanquish in stock, he would keep an eye out for one, I should be careful about used vehicles, would definitely want a well documented history of service and ownership; a mistake could be easily made and expensive it would be. "If a good one comes up you need to be ready to move quick because they don't stay on the market for long."

I looked at the new cars in his show room, chatted to one of his customers who had some beautiful items coming from and going to for one auction or another. Steve came back and we found common interests, he sized me up for a second and what he said next brought me here.
    "I don't have a Vanquish but just out there is something that might interest you." "A customer of mine tossed me the keys this morning in trade for a new AM, haven't had a chance to clean it up or put it in inventory but if you like it you can have it for $x." Outside was the car that is now in my garage, 2006 Silverstone 612 Scaglietti. From the moment I saw it I knew it would be mine.

Eventually my new friend Matt Nolan came in, talked me through the car and agreed when I asked him to take me out for a quick rip. A bit into the ride Matt asked me if I wanted to drive, then he asked me where I lived. "Why don't we take a spin out to your house?" Don't have to ask me twice. My long suffering Bride saw the car and had to admit it certainly was dignified for a Ferrari, "At least it's not red". Don't worry dear, just out for a spin, say hi to Matt, quite nice wouldn't you say." Matt and I drove away and before dinner I had wiring instructions in hand. That was my first night on FChat and I think I've been on every day since.

I must say this site has been informative, convivial, entertaining and quite addicting. You all got me through the 612 purchase and into a '89 328 GTS recently purchased from FMFL. Was quite funny: "When are you coming home?" "I might go check out a car." "Where is it?" "Florida" "So you are going to Florida to Check out a car". "Well, I'm not sure, haven't made flight reservations yet, will let you know". Oh boy, here we go again.

Had two posters in my room back in the day: Farrah and Decisions. Would not trade my gal for anything and I got the car.

Been quite a pleasure here so far, hope to be worthy of the fine standards established on this site.
    Cheers,
    Joe

2. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Great story Joe, my wife said the same thing, "Please tell me it's not red!" lol